Gen 2 rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy told me there was a thread on it already, but I can't seem to find it (not to mention the search function via mobile is horrendous with the forced ads).

So, my rear axle and CV joints have a good amount of surface rust, and I bought the truck 2 days ago. It was only on the lot for 1 day.

Has a reason for this rust been discovered yet? I honestly did not think to look under the truck when I went to pick it up... it is a little frustrating to see the rust, even if it is easily cleaned up and painted. The fact is... it is a brand new 70k truck... shouldn't be rusting like that right off the bat.

My dealer is looking into it and told me to take it somewhere and get a quote to get it cleaned and sprayed (I am 5 hours from the dealer), but I am still curious what the deal is.

GM3SF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. I got mine and noticed the same thing when I looked underneath. Told the dealer and they said they'd look into it. Showed them a picture of the new truck vs my 6.2 which is 3.5 years old and has zero rust. Like you said (and like I told them), this truck is too expensive to have something like that happen before it's even delivered.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer said it was "normal". I ended up spraying mine myself and added a wax barrier underneath for rust proofing even though I don't live up north anymore.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was disappointed to see my rear diff with rust spots all over it. Just mask around stuff you don't want paint hitting and spray some rust-o-leum over it then look into some rust preventative spray. I bought cosmoline military grade.

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was disappointed to see my rear diff with rust spots all over it. Just mask around stuff you don't want paint hitting and spray some rust-o-leum over it then look into some rust preventative spray. I bought cosmoline military grade.

My dealership wouldn't budge on fixing it. They said it's normal and all cars have it...but my 2010 Chevy trade-in didn't have it and I didn't do anything to maintain that truck.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership wouldn't budge on fixing it. They said it's normal and all cars have it...but my 2010 Chevy trade-in didn't have it and I didn't do anything to maintain that truck.

They don't all have it, lots of regular F150s had the same, some dealers stepped up most didn't

Bigbo076

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sucks they have it, I just crawled under with a little steel wool and WD40, looks like new now. Now I just need to hit it with some Amsoil.