Ford Performance rear diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More like $50. Probably $60 to $65 once shipping is in there vs prime if you have it. That buys a lot of Ford stickers.

Being in the rust belt, I'd prefer aluminum too. Powder coated steel and iron can look terrible in a short amount of time, depending on the quality of the coating. It is the edges where the rust starts and gets under the PC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More like $50. Probably $60 to $65 once shipping is in there vs prime if you have it. That buys a lot of Ford stickers.

Being in the rust belt, I'd prefer aluminum too. Powder coated steel and iron can look terrible in a short amount of time, depending on the quality of the coating. It is the edges where the rust starts and gets under the PC.

I paid $209 shipped. So, the spicer after shipping probably comes out to almost $40 which is worth it to me as the FP stamp is worth at least 10hp.

Also, the FP cover eliminates case distortion and ring gear and bearing cap deflection while improving support. Now, I don't know what that means, but I will take it! lol

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I paid $209 shipped. So, the spicer after shipping probably comes out to almost $40 which is worth it to me as the FP stamp is worth at least 10hp.

Also, the FP cover eliminates case distortion and ring gear and bearing cap deflection while improving support. Now, I don't know what that means, but I will take it! lol

It shows as being on Amazon Prime for me, so free two day shipping.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The benefit of the aFe finned aluminum will be cooler operating temps. Sure not as strong, guess one needs to decide what is more important for them and their driving needs.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Incorrect marketing fluff IMO. I think that description was cut and pasted from other FRPP diff covers that have jack screws supporting the bearing caps.

Check out this one => https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-irs-gridlecover-9904.html

That cover has jack screws. When the diff tries to push backwards as power is applied, the bearing caps are the only thing holding it in place. The jack screws go up against the bearing caps to prevent them from moving rearward.

I don't see that FRPP 9.75 cover doing anything beneficial for the bearing caps. I highly doubt it prevents case flex any more than a thick aluminum cover would either. Case flex is really a non issue on an iron diff case compared to an aluminum diff case (like the Cobra IRS) anyways.

OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incorrect marketing fluff IMO. I think that description was cut and pasted from other FRPP diff covers that have jack screws supporting the bearing caps.

Check out this one => https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-irs-gridlecover-9904.html

That cover has jack screws. When the diff tries to push backwards as power is applied, the bearing caps are the only thing holding it in place. The jack screws go up against the bearing caps to prevent them from moving rearward.

I don't see that FRPP 9.75 cover doing anything beneficial for the bearing caps. I highly doubt it prevents case flex any more than a thick aluminum cover would either. Case flex is really a non issue on an iron diff case compared to an aluminum diff case (like the Cobra IRS) anyways.

Great insight and who knows if the cover really makes any difference. Honestly, in my humble opinion, I think the fluid you put in the differential is more important than the cover itself. Therefore, I have 4 quarts of Amsoil waiting to be inserted.

Regarding the FP cover, if CJ Pony thought it was good enough to put on their SEMA F150 truck, then heck that's good enough for me lol.

srad711

Reaction score
Awesome, and thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the gasket. I have never heard of lubelocker, but I am impressed with the reviews. The gasket that came with my FP rear diff cover is paper thin and flimsy. The lubelocker seems to be a much better alternative.

Question: torque specs with the FP diff cover is 14 lbs. I wonder if this gasket changes the torque specs as it appears a little thicker?

Per Lube Locker:

TORQUE
Our gaskets do not require any special torque values to achieve a great seal, but following our provided torque sequence will ensure even pressure across the entire gasket, giving you the best possible seal. If using an OEM cover and hardware, use OE torque specs. If using an aftermarket cover, please consult with the cover manufacturer for the correct torque value for their cover and hardware. We always recommend tightening in two passes. First, tighten to half of your final value, then on the second pass, tighten up to your final value.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the Mag-HyTec cover on my 2012, and it was kind of a waste of money. Granted it held more fluid and had a drain, but I never really needed. I guess it was more for looks but no one ever looks under the rear...

OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed and super impressed. Pics on original post.