Fix for stcok Raptor Running Boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the power running boards thread, but it kind of died...

Anyone got a fix for the stock running boards...they look great, but the cutouts at the front allow way too much spray/debris from the front tires onto the doors, etc. I was driving on sandy/muddy roads this weekend at a farm, not even remotely dogging it, and was shocked how much stuff got through the boards and onto the paint just going through puddles on a dirt road. Rooster tails of mud/sand all the way up the sides, the door handles, etc. Hell, the stock tires project outside the flares/mud flaps, too, throwing stuff down the body. With sandy dirt/mud, this is a recipe for disaster on a black truck.

I don't mind a dirty truck when I really tried to get it dirty, but this seems like an oversight/design flaw by Ford in a pretty standard usage. Even keeping with its "desert racer" image, this allows a lot of sand to be shot up onto the paint.

Has anyone come up with a fix, like a plate to fit the front of the boards or better mud flaps?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the power running boards thread, but it kind of died...

Anyone got a fix for the stock running boards...they look great, but the cutouts at the front allow way too much spray/debris from the front tires onto the doors, etc. I was driving on sandy/muddy roads this weekend at a farm, not even remotely dogging it, and was shocked how much stuff got through the boards and onto the paint just going through puddles on a dirt road. Rooster tails of mud/sand all the way up the sides, the door handles, etc. Hell, the stock tires project outside the flares/mud flaps, too, throwing stuff down the body. With sandy dirt/mud, this is a recipe for disaster on a black truck.

I don't mind a dirty truck when I really tried to get it dirty, but this seems like an oversight/design flaw by Ford in a pretty standard usage. Even keeping with its "desert racer" image, this allows a lot of sand to be shot up onto the paint.

Has anyone come up with a fix, like a plate to fit the front of the boards or better mud flaps?

Try the Husky mud flaps. They integrate so well that you honestly don't even notice that they are there. The only downside is that they are made from a hard plastic and they would not hold up well if you hit them while rock crawling. I have 1.5" wheel spacers and the rooster tails on the side of my truck are gone, but I have not tested them in moderate to heavy mud.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did pdp mud flaps on the front, haven’t got around to the rears. I like roosting people! The front flaps prevent mud, snow, and ice from caking up my door handles.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the Husky mud flaps. They integrate so well that you honestly don't even notice that they are there. The only downside is that they are made from a hard plastic and they would not hold up well if you hit them while rock crawling. I have 1.5" wheel spacers and the rooster tails on the side of my truck are gone, but I have not tested them in moderate to heavy mud.

Thanks...that should not be a problem for 99.9% of my use here in SC, and I saw where Husky had lifetime warranty on cracking, etc.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

I did pdp mud flaps on the front, haven’t got around to the rears. I like roosting people! The front flaps prevent mud, snow, and ice from caking up my door handles.

Thanks...those look good, especially with the new raptor logo. But did you have to drill to install them? What kind of fasteners? Thanks again.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks...that should not be a problem for 99.9% of my use here in SC, and I saw where Husky had lifetime warranty on cracking, etc.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Thanks...those look good, especially with the new raptor logo. But did you have to drill to install them? What kind of fasteners? Thanks again.

They came with fasteners, I switched them out for stainless hardware. If I remember correctly I didn’t drill them, it was 4yrs ago and my memory does fail me.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They came with fasteners, I switched them out for stainless hardware. If I remember correctly I didn’t drill them, it was 4yrs ago and my memory does fail me.

Thanks...I can always call/email and ask them.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PDP mudflap install. Youre welcome.

Long story short I made a cardboard template to get them where I wanted then drilled the holes in the PDP flaps with the template. I used the two OEM flare screws and gorilla double sided tape to hold them on, they are not going anywhere. I have beat the crap out of them in the sand, mud, and buried in the snow, still holding solid. Same process for the rears.

Last edited:

whan

Reaction score
There's a guy here who fabricated his own mudflap that connects to both the wheelwell and then bends and also attaches to the runningboard - that solution looked like it'd be pretty effective