Electric Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing my factory running boards with some electric ones that open and close automatically.

...I am sure it is possible but thinking about having it automatic but also something that could be controlled with an Upfitter Switch as well.

Anyone have experience on which brands are the best and which to avoid, etc?

SoCalHusker

Reaction score
Thinking about replacing my factory running boards with some electric ones that open and close automatically.

...I am sure it is possible but thinking about having it automatic but also something that could be controlled with an Upfitter Switch as well.

Anyone have experience on which brands are the best and which to avoid, etc?

If your going to do any off roading be careful not to put any bend in them. I love them for 4-6" lifts but again they can hang up easily. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am going to be running 37's and thought maybe electric ones would be a little easier getting in and out of... the girl asked if she is going to need a running start for the new truck.

SoCalHusker

Reaction score
I am going to be running 37's and thought maybe electric ones would be a little easier getting in and out of... the girl asked if she is going to need a running start for the new truck.

They are nice. Get some feedback on those 37s from the forum. I know a guy here in SoCal that is running them and he rubs when turning at times. I know he has not cut on his plastic yet. They do look nice!

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see why you might want something that folds up and out of the way, but man I love the stock running boards. I think they're the perfect height and width, and I love the textured finish. As mentioned above, I'd be worried that even a small hit while off-roading and the electric ones would be hosed.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly theyre better suited for a Limited, Platty or Denali etc.

Its very likely theyll get damaged playing in the dirt.

My friends 2015 auto boards already took a dump. Under warranty but still a pain. The point is how many times do you open and close your doors....

Your truck though.

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are nice. Get some feedback on those 37s from the forum. I know a guy here in SoCal that is running them and he rubs when turning at times. I know he has not cut on his plastic yet. They do look nice!

Been trying to find info but nothing great yet. Hate being the 'first' even though I am definitely not the first.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Thanks... Sounds like maybe they aren't that rugged. Was hoping someone made a really quality set but sounds like the OEM ones are pretty nice.

3Ktt

Reaction score
Most people with JKs run the Amp Research Powerstep. I've heard their reliability is better than OEM.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most people with JKs run the Amp Research Powerstep. I've heard their reliability is better than OEM.

Hey Jet, Id look thier way. Amp is a legit company. Theyre actually the maker of some OE Toyota parts. I cant get into too much detail, but when Toyota wants to sub a part out to you there is alot of reliabiltiy testing involved.

Carbon8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would never consider it if you live in the North or near the sand.

Motors bind and corrode very easily. Had them dealer installed on my 2015 Rebel, and in 16 Months in Buffalo Snow and Salt I went through 4 motors, waited 3-4 weeks for each motor.

Will never do it again.

Plus I do not know how many times I hear stones and dirt hitting the OE ones, the provide a lot of body protection and I could see some heavy side damage sif they where removed and converted to folding as the tuck under the truck and would not provide any protection.

I do miss how low they came down, took a while to get used to how high the OE ones sit in comparison.

Last edited: