Dedicated snow tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

krodUT

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to BFG's and see how they run before getting a dedicated winter tire. Offload, I'm sure they're better. But driving from Denver into the mountains, the ice is my biggest threat.

I'll see how they fair compared to my car and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback!

madenis

Reaction score
Put Studded Duratracs on one and have KO2s on the other. Should be a good comparison this winter in central MT

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to BFG's and see how they run before getting a dedicated winter tire. Offload, I'm sure they're better. But driving from Denver into the mountains, the ice is my biggest threat.

I'll see how they fair compared to my car and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback!

If you are looking at tires for driving up in the mountains I would get a set of studded on a second set of rims for those trips or a set of chains. I know the ice can get crazy and its not fun on graded roads with lots of curves.

But for snow (Hard Pack and deep stuff) the KO2's will be great. You can get a set of Methods fairly cheap for rims or a set of takeoff wheel. I am sure plenty of Gen 2 trucks will be putting on new wheels shortly or you can even run a set of Gen 1 factory wheels which I am sure you can fins fairly cheap.

Mikerider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for studded duratracs, they have worked excellent in the snow and ice. I pull a snowcat around in the winter and it's been great to be able to stop in poor conditions.

2ec10eba0aa08f5f0c1884e8625edd10.jpg

9ef7b4e99d9eb1975ad9e5e8e6d3df12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Studded Goodyear duratacs for sure. I looked at the Nokians but have not tried them and don't know of any real feedback

Nokian Hakkapeliitta's are hands down the best snow tires on the planet. I know a bunch of guys that run the Hakkapeliitta R2s on their Subies and Audis and they stick like glue in the winter. I personally run Nokian WRG3s on my Subie and they are fantastic. They are not a dedicated winter tire but more of an all season but they perform like a high end snow tire in the winter. Nokian will always have my business if Im looking for dedicated winter tires.

Now for my Jeeps I run Duratracs and absolutely love them. We get snow and ice 7 months out of the year and a bunch of mud right after and the Duratracs have never let me down. If you need a little extra get a set studded and youll be golden.

Hakkapeliittas
Studded Duratracs
Duratracs/K02

Dr. Hunter

Reaction score
Nokian can't be beat have a set of studded ones on gen 1 that I'm keeping on the gen 1 rims and moving to my gen 2. Got an extra set of factory gen 1 wheels when I trade in

ronniegilbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Colorado and have studded snow tires on my Toyota Camry and go everywhere with them. We go skiing most weekends and I never worry about driving up in the mountains. I prefer the Camry with the studded snow tires to my wife's 4 wheel drive Honda CRV. Only complaint is the noise and rough ride of the studs when we have no snow. Wasn't planning on getting snow tires when we get the Raptor. I assumed they were not needed. Also assume they are pretty expensive.

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Colorado and have studded snow tires on my Toyota Camry and go everywhere with them. We go skiing most weekends and I never worry about driving up in the mountains. I prefer the Camry with the studded snow tires to my wife's 4 wheel drive Honda CRV. Only complaint is the noise and rough ride of the studs when we have no snow. Wasn't planning on getting snow tires when we get the Raptor. I assumed they were not needed. Also assume they are pretty expensive.

just get a set of studded duratracs as they perform 95% as good as a set of factory studded nokians on ice but have better deep snow performance

Last edited: