Bring back the hood vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The GMC dura max was the first thing that come to my mind as well. The clamshell hood and smooth sheet metal on the front and back quarter panels are gone as well. I do not like the flat ridges near the top of the quarterpanels. I know they had to change something, but I do not like all the angular lines.

IN the HP and torque department, it seems like the Gen I Raptor with Roush would hold it's own against the turbo'ed Gen II. I am asking because I don't know here, but is it best to have a normally aspirated engine when running hard off road? Would the turbo, and to a lesser extent, a Supercharger, get to hot if you are constantly on and off the gas, especially in sand?

Shhhh the S/C guys dont liked to be questioned

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With running a TT, they probably CANT do hood vents. That is probably where each turbo sits. Just guessing.

Turbos mount on the headers under below the valve covers,

They most likely needed more vent area

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

With running a TT, they probably CANT do hood vents. That is probably where each turbo sits. Just guessing.

Turbos mount on the headers under below the valve covers,

They most likely needed more vent area

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't want to state the obvious but the hood & side vents on the current Raptor are NOT functional. While the current vents do add character they serve no purpose whatsoever.

I would imagine the 2017 center hood vent is functional. A 3.5L high output TT V6 probably needs an inter-cooler. And placing an inter-cooler high and center on the hood is prob the best location on an off-road truck. As in you don't want to place it in front of the truck because it will just be clogged with debris when you are hauling ass across the desert.

Last edited:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who told you the hood and front fender vents aren't functional? If you look through the fender vents you can see the engine, and if you pop the hood there are cutouts underneath the hood vents, no they're not as large as the hood vents, but they're definitely there, if you sit in traffic after warming the truck up there is a large concentration of heat waves coming out of the hood vents

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
let me rephrase, they are BARELY FUNCTIONAL!

does that make you happy?

You know damn well they are there for aesthetics only. And if you think they provide cooling then you need to stop smoking crack sir.

Who told you the hood and front fender vents aren't functional? If you look through the fender vents you can see the engine, and if you pop the hood there are cutouts underneath the hood vents, no they're not as large as the hood vents, but they're definitely there

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
You could easily open up the hood vents further...

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've felt how well they function, all four vents are pouring out burning hot air after a good 2-4 hour run through the desert, they could definitely perform better, but they also are definitely doing something if they're allowing all that hot air to get out of the engine bay even without any airflow into it from the radiator fans or running at speed

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Gen 1 vents were very nice I actually wish they kept them! Seen the 2017 one at the philly auto show and yes this one is cool also but I felt the Gen 1 with the fold of the hood line looked really cool and gave it a race truck/hot rod feel. Old school style like the 70's muscle cars etc. the new one is a bit more subtle. I wish they would have kept that but its not gonna happen