Brand new paint has dirt in it!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2024RaptorR_NOVA

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a big chunk of brown dirt in my front passenger fender. I would went sand and buff but I don’t know whats underneath or how thick the dirt/flake is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies, I’m sorry to those in the same boat but it’s nice to see I am not alone.

I went to my dealer today and they agreed that it’s more than normal and unacceptable. They took tons of pics and set them off to Ford. I explained that I am not willing to have any paint work but do not think that I should have to pay to have it corrected, my dealer agrees so now we wait to see what ford says....

pappvol

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I’m sorry to those in the same boat but it’s nice to see I am not alone.

I went to my dealer today and they agreed that it’s more than normal and unacceptable. They took tons of pics and set them off to Ford. I explained that I am not willing to have any paint work but do not think that I should have to pay to have it corrected, my dealer agrees so now we wait to see what ford says....

Your post makes me feel a bit better about my situation. I bought mine just over a month ago and the first time I washed it I noticed dirt in the driver side front door paint along the top rail. After a month of debate, the dealer took in on Tuesday to be professionally wet sanded and buffed. Like you I am hoping for no paint issues, I was cautioned that wet sanding and lifting the dirt could cause specs in the paint and ultimately cause a need to re-spray my door, needless to say its Thursday now and I am on pins and needles waiting to see my truck. I did get a free install of the Icon leveling kit and alignment out of it. Of course I paid for the kit the dealer is supplying the labor.

Update: 7/11/2018 Well I originally posted a couple of weeks ago and I still don't have my truck back. I got a call 4 days after they took it in and was told I need to come look at it. I asked if it was screwed up and got no response. I refused to see it in that state and demanded it done right. I went by the shop yesterday, my truck has been shipped off for repair. I was told it will have all new weather stripping and the whole truck would be professionally wet sanded and any imperfections would be repaired. I should have it back by Friday. Needless to say I'm worried and pissed. I think I should have left it alone. I've put 1500 miles on the 2018 FX4 loaner they gave me.

Last edited:

pappvol

Reaction score
Got my truck back yesterday. Everything looks great. I’m very happy with it. e4a1d13de7fa244f5eeff272b6c8ea3e.jpg110d61f6415ab474ba24c2efb2d31b9d.jpg6fb1458de796046c5723e3668dae6aa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean no offense.

But it’s not a high end vehicle.

It’s a Ford F-150

The paint and finish on my luxury vehicles, several brands, make it obvious that my Raptor is a Ford.

Still a nice truck

Yes that is exactly what I’m talking about! Reassuring to see that they are “common” but still can’t believe we are looking at inhabiting Mars but can’t paint high end vehicles without dust getting in the paint hahahahah

Blkz06

Reaction score
Any paint shop can wet sand and polish most of that out...Assuming you do not know how to do it yourself.

Exactly.

Find someone who knows what they are doing (what about your detail guy) and this is a very simple fix.

3000 grit paper and a little bit of polishing compund and you will never know they were there. 3000 grit paper won't take off much clear and is easy to get the sanding marks out of the clearcoat.

Last edited:

pappvol

Reaction score
Caution

Exactly.

Find someone who knows what they are doing (what about your detail guy) and this is a very simple fix.

3000 grit paper and a little bit of polishing compund and you will never know they were there. 3000 grit paper won't take off much clear and is easy to get the sanding marks out of the clearcoat.

I would be very careful doing the sanding. I thought the same thing. My truck ended up in the shop for three weeks because the detail guy at Ford tried wet sanding. The dirt is very deep in the paint.

The end result looks great and I am happy with the truck but I really didn't want paint work done.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take mine offroad often and if it were mine I'd try for a discount or some compensation of some sort. I have lots of chips and desert pin stripes on my 2013. Oh well...joe

OP
OP
2024RaptorR_NOVA

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean no offense.

But it’s not a high end vehicle.

It’s a Ford F-150

The paint and finish on my luxury vehicles, several brands, make it obvious that my Raptor is a Ford.

Still a nice truck

No offence taken however I respectfully disagree....Ford F150 or not this is one of Ford Performances flag ship vehicles and here in Canada is just shy of 100k.....I have seen 16k Honda Civic’s with none of these issues or my co-workers new base model lightning blue F150 that has none of the paint imperfections mine came with.....one of them you can actually see where someone at the factory attempted to correct one of the dust nibs pre-clearcoat and is down to the bare metal...so they knew it was there and still let it go...one or two maybe, something on every body panel is not acceptable for any new factory paint regardless of cost or if it’s a truck.

I’m not being unreasonable I just want it made right and it will not be on my dime.

Range44

Reaction score
New car paint correction is needed on almost all new cars/trucks to make it perfect. I have seen these issues on the cheapest and the most expensive.

Greg Machala

Reaction score
I would imagine that the assembly line folks that are responsible for paint QC don't know if the truck is an XL, XLT, Platinum or Raptor. So the paint and body get the same QC whether it is a $20K XL fleet truck or an 802A Raptor. That is the problem with building high dollar vehicles on the same platforms as low cost volume models.

I am afraid this is a Mustang problem as well. The flagship GT500 is going to have the same paint quality as a base V6. This is one downside to mass production. It is a much bigger problem today because of the huge disparity in the price of the base models vs the high end models.