Best way to drop back to eliminate rake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJT123

Reaction score
Was looking to reduce the rake by dropping the rear rather then lifting the front (prefer the "squaty" look these days versus the raised look). What would be the preferred way to do this to keep OEM ride quality? Would I need to align to after? THanks!

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was looking to reduce the rake by dropping the rear rather then lifting the front (prefer the "squaty" look these days versus the raised look). What would be the preferred way to do this to keep OEM ride quality? Would I need to align to after? THanks!
There is NO good way to do this while maintaining ride quality. None. You can get shackles for the rear but they're just not good for the suspension.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
There is NO good way to do this while maintaining ride quality. None. You can get shackles for the rear but they're just not good for the suspension.

Shackles are fine for the rear suspension. What is it exactly you think will hurt it?

Remove the blocks under the springs?

The blocks set the pinion angle. At least they did on the old trucks, and I doubt ford changed that on the new ones. I know they made 1.25" blocks that a couple of guys replaced their factory blocks with though.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shackles are fine for the rear suspension. What is it exactly you think will hurt it?

The blocks set the pinion angle. At least they did on the old trucks, and I doubt ford changed that on the new ones. I know they made 1.25" blocks that a couple of guys replaced their factory blocks with though.
Well I tried shackles in my 2011. I can say 100% the ride was loose.. it also tended to creak oddly enough. I removed them after a month and all was good for 6 years ish.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Loose how? creaking could have been any number of things including the shackles, but it doesn't mean they are "just not good for the suspension."

Extended shackles aren't a new thing in the off-road world. What I'm getting at is that you made it sound like it will somehow hurt or damage the suspension, which they won't. If you don't like em, there's nothing wrong with that however.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Loose how? creaking could have been any number of things including the shackles, but it doesn't mean they are "just not good for the suspension."

Extended shackles aren't a new thing in the off-road world. What I'm getting at is that you made it sound like it will somehow hurt or damage the suspension, which they won't. If you don't like em, there's nothing wrong with that however.
That's true they did not damage my suspension. I removed them and it was fine. Loose meaning the truck swayed more when turning, hard to describe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That's true they did not damage my suspension. I removed them and it was fine. Loose meaning the truck swayed more when turning, hard to describe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's all I wanted to clear up. That does sound weird though, what brand did you go with? Might have been something wrong with them.