Bed Cover Price vs performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Bak MX4 has been our most popular option for a folding cover and we offer very competitive pricing on them. It's also the cover we run on our shop truck.

For rolling option, the Retrax PRO MX and Powertrax PRO MX have been very popular, just depends on if you want to with the manual or power option.

If there's a cover you're looking for or if you'd like a quote for either of the above, please don't hesitate to reach out!

AdmrlAwesome

Reaction score
I went with Zach from realtruck.com and got a crazy good deal on the bak x4. I love the thing and it's been incredibly water proof and it looks amazing.

Reaction score
I went with Zach from realtruck.com and got a crazy good deal on the bak x4. I love the thing and it's been incredibly water proof and it looks amazing.
How much did you get it for? Anyone have experience with undercover? Their ultraflex looks similar to mx4. Ultraflex is 929 at 4wheelonline.com. Comes with a saddlebag too...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the BakFlip F1 (composite version of MX4) for a great price from Realtruck.com after I sent them a PM on this forum.

https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-f1

It took me and my son about 45 minutes to install. Like others have said, the BakFlip looks great when closed and is easy to open when needed for hauling large items. I have used mine at 2/3s and fully open on the highway many times with no issues. The F1 comes with built-in tie-down straps, adjustable support bars and strategically placed rubber cushions to keep it from scratching your truck when driving with it all the way open.

If you need your full bed, you fold it up and remove two large, hand-twist nuts. It takes two people less then 5 minutes to set it aside in your garage and your whole bed is available. I have never tried to put in inside my cab, but I imagine it would fit if you needed to remove it while on the road for some reason. (Unexpected large purchases?)

Last edited:

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the BakFlip F1 (composite version of MX4) for a great price from Realtruck.com after I sent them a PM on this forum.

https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-f1

It took me and my son about 45 minutes to install. Like others have said, the BakFlip looks great when closed and is easy to open when needed for hauling large items. I have used mine at 2/3s and fully open on the highway many times with no issues. The F1 comes with built-in tie-down straps, adjustable support bars and strategically placed rubber cushions to keep it from scratching your truck when driving with it all the way open.

If you need your full bed, you fold it up and remove two large, hand-twist nuts. It takes two people less then 5 minutes to set it aside in your garage and your whole bed is available. I have never tried to put in inside my cab, but I imagine it would fit if you needed to remove it while on the road for some reason. (Unexpected large purchases?)

What’s the benefit of composite? Is it lighter then the MX4? Or stronger ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s the benefit of composite? Is it lighter then the MX4? Or stronger ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is stronger, "slightly" lighter, has better impact resistance, plus it will hold up to the hot Texas sun. I have the painted aluminum BackFlip on my 2010 Gen 1 and it has faded to a dull black after 8+ years, so I wanted to go with the composite for my Gen 2.

The price difference was less than $100 between the F1 and MX4 at the time I bought mine in April 2018.

Last edited:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like my MX4 I got from Realtruck for less than $800. Great thing about the MX4 is that you can close the tailgate with it down, it is extremely low profile, and easy to remove if offroading (that said, I went to the rally track two weekends ago, and even with some rough patches and numerous jumps, the cover did great - only chewed up some of the interior rubber seals slightly).

I couldn't find another cover that did all the things the MX4 did in the same price range. It is definitely water proof but not at all dust proof, at least when offroading at speed.

Also, it will fit in your bed if you take it off, I forgot to take it off when I went to pick up my new couch and had to remove it. Due to my negligence, I skewed one of the rubber side seals since I didn't push on it evenly to move it, but they are $20 to replace and I don't really care that much.

Last edited:

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a jackrabbit from Pace Edwards, it's great! Cheaper than some others