Bed Cover Price vs performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone of them have pros and cons. You just have to find the one that tics most of your boxes.

That's why I didn't go with Bak Filp. I don't want my rear window blocked if I need the full bed open. The down side of the Extang is you get 2/3 of the bed then have to remove it for the full bed. Removing takes less than 2 min.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone of them have pros and cons. You just have to find the one that tics most of your boxes.

That's why I didn't go with Bak Filp. I don't want my rear window blocked if I need the full bed open. The down side of the Extang is you get 2/3 of the bed then have to remove it for the full bed. Removing takes less than 2 min.

Takes one minute to remove the Bak flip[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO it has the best design as it sits flush with the bed as opposed to the box being raised like on some of the ones out there. Enjoy.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left it open to interpretation, in case someone replied with something I didn't think of. For example, last time we had a thread like this someone pointed out wind noise which I never thought of, but what a huge deal that would make to me. I think I ruled out soft covers then.

I guess I'm looking for one that makes the least noise, keeps the bed cleanest/driest, looks the best and functions easy/well.

I was in love with the paragon. The idea of color matching it to the bed made it look the best, it looked really easy to use, it didn't block the rear window when folded all the way up, and if you needed more space, is looked really easy to remove and put in the back seat. I went to go order one and the shop told me they wouldn't order it for me and if I brought it to them they were going to charge me $400 to put it in because it was impossible to get lined up. They said the last one they did took an immense amount of time and labor to get lined up and it fell out of alignment shortly thereafter. They said it never opened all the way, never closed all the way, didn't move easily and leaked like a sieve. And they are pretty pricey.

They are pushing the Bakflip mx4 and the Retrax. I know a couple people got really good deals from vendors on here for those two. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone got a good deal on one that they've had really good experience with.

I had a "cheap" Truxedo vinyl cover on my 1794 Tundra for years that did the job just fine. For simple cover, that's really all you need. For the Raptor, I wanted something stronger/nicer. I too looked long and hard on the Peragon, but I didn't like that it was un-lined beyond the aluminum. It seemed a bit flimsy and too hot for where I am in SC.

I ended up going with the BakFlip MX4, and I am very pleased with it. My initial concern was the cost of these higher-end covers. But, I got it from vendor/sponsor Realtruck.com, and a chat on their web site, saying I'm an FRF member and asking for that discount, gave a price that made it a no-brainer. I seriously doubt you can do better for the money. Just my .02...

OP
OP
G

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a "cheap" Truxedo vinyl cover on my 1794 Tundra for years that did the job just fine. For simple cover, that's really all you need. For the Raptor, I wanted something stronger/nicer. I too looked long and hard on the Peragon, but I didn't like that it was un-lined beyond the aluminum. It seemed a bit flimsy and too hot for where I am in SC.

I ended up going with the BakFlip MX4, and I am very pleased with it. My initial concern was the cost of these higher-end covers. But, I got it from vendor/sponsor Realtruck.com, and a chat on their web site, saying I'm an FRF member and asking for that discount, gave a price that made it a no-brainer. I seriously doubt you can do better for the money. Just my .02...

I thought when I posted this some of the vendors would pm me. My install got pushed back until Tuesday next week.

pplunkett

Reaction score
I too went with Retrax Pro MX. It is remote control, looks nice. But like mentioned before a bit pricey $2k+.
Keep in mind you loose about 10-11” from the back of bed for the box that cover rolls into. It took about an hour to install, but it take two to put in place. Comes in Gloss and Matte black.
I can post at pic if you like.
Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk