Bakflip style rail bending aluminum body.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jes.jr

Reaction score
I really wish Ford would build the Raptor with a quality cover from the factory. I had a Bakflip VP on my Gen1 which aside from the poor craftsmanship, fact that they must have sent me 4 before I received one that wasn't dented, cut or damaged was an OK cover and completely waterproof. By the time I traded it in last Jan for my Gen2 the panels weighed 30lbs ea from the Styrofoam being waterlogged. Sooo, I went with the new Undercover Ultraflex this time. Quality was 100%, the bedrug underneath was very nice and it just looked clean. Was very happy. Looked like an OEM part. Until it rained today. This thing leaks from every hinge, latch and rail. Fit and finish are great but function kills the point of a tonneau. Back to the VP I guess. Just got the first one today, usual sloppy manufacturing, but the rails with the plastic (taper) block concerned me more. When you snug them up I could see the aluminum bed rail starting to bend at the clamp. Looks like this rail and plastic block setup are the same with all bakflip covers. Ideally, the plastic shim would be tapered not just a square piece of plastic stuck to the top. Anyway, Who's got a solution or ideas?

OP
OP
jes.jr

jes.jr

Reaction score
I like the Retrax, good quality. Had one couple trucks ago. Can't roll it up with snow on it and it scratches easily. Canister fills w water and debris over time. IMO, the Ultra flex with the waterproof top of the VP would be the perfect cover.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope no scratches. Not one. The pro MX is a rough matte finish. The old one was shiny and easily scratched. I had that too ...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I got the powertrax mx and it's as good as new.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gunnersguru

Reaction score
I really wish Ford would build the Raptor with a quality cover from the factory. I had a Bakflip VP on my Gen1 which aside from the poor craftsmanship, fact that they must have sent me 4 before I received one that wasn't dented, cut or damaged was an OK cover and completely waterproof. By the time I traded it in last Jan for my Gen2 the panels weighed 30lbs ea from the Styrofoam being waterlogged. Sooo, I went with the new Undercover Ultraflex this time. Quality was 100%, the bedrug underneath was very nice and it just looked clean. Was very happy. Looked like an OEM part. Until it rained today. This thing leaks from every hinge, latch and rail. Fit and finish are great but function kills the point of a tonneau. Back to the VP I guess. Just got the first one today, usual sloppy manufacturing, but the rails with the plastic (taper) block concerned me more. When you snug them up I could see the aluminum bed rail starting to bend at the clamp. Looks like this rail and plastic block setup are the same with all bakflip covers. Ideally, the plastic shim would be tapered not just a square piece of plastic stuck to the top. Anyway, Who's got a solution or ideas?

would you post pics of this . I would like to see what I'm getting into with bak.

OP
OP
jes.jr

jes.jr

Reaction score
Will do. I'm waiting on a replacement from Bak, First one I received was old stock without the new buckle latch. Rails will be the same I'm sure tho.

OP
OP
jes.jr

jes.jr

Reaction score
This is what I got. Anyone else have their bakflip rails look like this? First of all, big gap on bottom is where clamp pressure is bending bed. Secondly, the manual states rails must be level. There is no way to get this level with that plastic shim on top. Just looks wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_7182.jpg
    IMG_7182.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 87