GEN 2 anyone use tailgate locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
anyone have a tailgate lock? seems with the rear applique, they may be a desireable snag.. $20 is cheap insurance for a $500 tailgate :eek:

81UBbSPK1DL._SL1500_.jpg

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That looks like the mcgard
It's a hose clamp with plastic.
I've been searching for ideas also but the products I've seen are trash.
The diy solutions I've seen are too unrefined for a Raptor.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

I don't know about the GEN2's alloy tailgate, but the GEN1's tailgate is in the neighborhood of a $4K replacement if it gets stolen.

I use this:

Truck Tail Gate Protector

That looks decent

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a locking tailgate and a quality top like a retrax pro, it's nearly impossible to remove isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are right since the tailgate locks. But, I don't have a tonneau cover and thieves can be creative. I bought a McGard just for the added $20 of insurance. Heck, I recall going to the LA Auto Show, parking in a parking structure that was FULL of cars and someone got into my Denali and stole my removable 3rd row seats (along with gift cards and daughters iPod that were hidden in the center box between the front seats). Thieves steal this stuff, then sell it on Craigslist. Essentially, they create their own supply/demand stream. Better safe than sorry, so I bought one for $20 on Amazon. McGard worked well, but I am sure other options work well too. Good luck! BTW, those seats were not cheap to replace.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I used to use a tail gate lock from master lock, until I tried to remove it after 2 years. It was so weathered and corroded that I nearly had to cut it off. Haven't bothered putting on a different one.

What I'm saying is, if you get a lock, make sure you remove it every so often and either clean it up or lubricate it so won't have issues, especially if you live in a winter climate.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Tail Gator Lock on my tailgate. Have been using it for about 6 or 7 years and had it on my Dodge as well. It was only about $12.00CAN and looks like a cross between a padlock and a hose clamp. It also has a rubber cover that goes over it to keep the lock cylinder clean. So far it has worked great for the price.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just lock the handle. They'll move on to a truck that isn't locked.

Only maybe. There's a lot of plastic in the factory "lock" and handle. It looks easy to defeat to me. Has anyone had a locked tailgate stolen? I'd be very interested to hear of it.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

holy crap!

(Sounds like Achmed the Dead Terrorist.) :)

What's "holy crap" about it in your opinion? The only disadvantage about it that I've identified is that if you frequently remove your tailgate, it's not for you. In that case, don't buy one!