Anybody sealed there bed ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

narlimon

Reaction score
I am running a " Under Cover " bed cover for several reasons.
Security first and protection from the elements of anything back there.
Thinking that with the bed cover I could keep all the off road dust off my gear but this turns out not to be true.
The cover has rubber seals to seal the top against the bed but there are several seams in and between the bed floor,Sides and not to mention were the tail gate closes up against the bed sides.
Aside from enabling water to drain out a good amount of dust and dirt make it way into and on top of everything I put back there.
What would be the pro and cons against sealing with either silicon or something else all those open seams in the bed?
Maybe even going as far as using weatherstrip between the bed and tail gate?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess sealed it would be more likely to hold moisture worse but I'm pro-seal. If I had a cover I'd do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TMAC3

Reaction score
I am running a " Under Cover " bed cover for several reasons.

Security first and protection from the elements of anything back there.

Thinking that with the bed cover I could keep all the off road dust off my gear but this turns out not to be true.

The cover has rubber seals to seal the top against the bed but there are several seams in and between the bed floor,Sides and not to mention were the tail gate closes up against the bed sides.

Aside from enabling water to drain out a good amount of dust and dirt make it way into and on top of everything I put back there.

What would be the pro and cons against sealing with either silicon or something else all those open seams in the bed?

Maybe even going as far as using weatherstrip between the bed and tail gate?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you getting water in there too, or just the dust? Looking at the Undercover as an option too. I'm looking at the Elite XL. What model do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not quite sure what Ford's deal was with leaving big gaps around the bottom edge of the bed. Maybe there was some type of metal fatigue going on with prototypes that were built the same way the older steel beds were? It just seems really odd.

Lots of guys have used silicone for the bed gaps on the 15+ trucks. You can get silicone that is black or white if that's the color of your truck. Clear silicone will almost always turn a greyish color over time.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@narlimon I don't blame yeah, what is worse than the dust is the salt spray in the winter. It coats everything in the bed.

I've used some gorilla tape at the bulk head for a quick temporary fix, and is been there 4 years. It helps significantly.

As for the tail gate location, I've seen guys add a gasket, but it still leaks and they don't seem to hold up to offroading.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

OP
OP
narlimon

narlimon

Reaction score
Tmac3
I have " Under Cover Classic " and love it.
The Semi gloss finish is durable and with the new hinge set up it works great.
I have had one on my previous truck ( A Dodge " and never had any problems.
Very sturdy and the seals keep water out.
The dust coming up from the seams in the bed are the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Yukon Joe,
Thanks for your input.I considered Gorrilla tape as it's black to match the " Raptor " spray bedliner I applied.
Silicon would be permanent so I might try the tape to see if that takes care of the problem.
You seem to be on the same page as I.
:ROFLJest: