Any1's retractable bed cover leak like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a ReTrax cover on my 2006 lariat when I purchased it brand new in 2006. It never leaked in the 11 years I had it.

This time I went with TruckCovers due to the integrated lowprofile tool box. I drove through 10-15 minutes of heavy rain last night and have this (see attached pics).

I would think this is unacceptable. I wanted to see if anyone with ReTrax has leaking issues in heavy rain like this. I know the design of the tailgate is vastly different vs. my 06, so I just want to make sure I'm not over-reacting....

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 117

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to put a tailgate gasket on it. I have one and installed it myself to ensure no leaks. I live in wet weather too.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put a tailgate gasket on it. I have one and installed it myself to ensure no leaks. I live in wet weather too.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Where exactly would the gasket go? If you're referring to the top of the backside of the tailgate, that won't work with this sort of cover since one needs to pull the cover towards the tailgate to relieve the tension on the cover when trying to open it with the tailgate up. This play is hardly an 1/8", but it needs to be there to be able to pull the cover forward just a bit.

I've been in contact with Truckcovers tech support too and they have the pics and have offered a few suggestions along the way, but to date, it still leaks....

Do you also have this same cover?

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where exactly would the gasket go? If you're referring to the top of the backside of the tailgate, that won't work with this sort of cover since one needs to pull the cover towards the tailgate to relieve the tension on the cover when trying to open it with the tailgate up. This play is hardly an 1/8", but it needs to be there to be able to pull the cover forward just a bit.

I've been in contact with Truckcovers tech support too and they have the pics and have offered a few suggestions along the way, but to date, it still leaks....

Do you also have this same cover?
I have a Retrax Powertrax MX. I installed gasket along the bottom of the tailgate. I don't have a water issue in this truck. I did on my SVT with a Retrax Pro but that's because it wasn't installed properly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Retrax Powertrax MX. I installed gasket along the bottom of the tailgate. I don't have a water issue in this truck. I did on my SVT with a Retrax Pro but that's because it wasn't installed properly.

A gasket along the bottom would not help in this case. The water is infiltrating from the top, along the bed rail ends/edges and running down (can be seen in the pics).

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Retrax ProMX doesn't leak at all. Even when I hit it with the power washer, it stays bone dry inside.

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Retrax ProMX doesn't leak at all. Even when I hit it with the power washer, it stays bone dry inside.

That's what I wanted to hear from a G2 owner. TY!

My last Retrax didn't leak at all. Should have stayed with the known.....

Going to see what my options are to return the truckcovers cover.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

The Retrax ProMX was the one I was looking at recently.

Can you post up some pics of how the edge of the cover seals against the tailgate?

THX

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What sort of gasket did you use? How think is it? The people at Truckcovers said that using a gasket would have an adverse affect on the automatic tailgate operation.

If nothing else, I can try the gasket just to see if it helps/eliminates the water. Where did you get it?

THX

My Schnell

Reaction score
I have that cover and had the same set-up on my 14 as well.

The gasket I installed goes against the bed and seals against the tailgate. The water may be coming on from the gate. Lay inside your bed and close the tailgate. You will see how open that area is by seeing light that comes in. It will blow water and dust/dirt in because of the design feature. The tailgates bleed off the air as to help reduce drag while driving (with out a cover.) This feature allows dust, dirt and water to enter now because of the cover.

Ford sells a seal kit and has an install guide too.

My cover leaks a little from time-to-time but no where near as much as my 14 did. Ensure the right amount of shims are installed to ensure that there is less than a 1/16" of play on the sides (against the covers rails). Also, I have almost zero slack against the tailgate, but that is how I want it. I will most likely never open the cover w/ out opening the tailgate first. I treat it more like a trunk that a hatchback...

Denny

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that cover and had the same set-up on my 14 as well.

The gasket I installed goes against the bed and seals against the tailgate. The water may be coming on from the gate. Lay inside your bed and close the tailgate. You will see how open that area is by seeing light that comes in. It will blow water and dust/dirt in because of the design feature. The tailgates bleed off the air as to help reduce drag while driving (with out a cover.) This feature allows dust, dirt and water to enter now because of the cover.

Ford sells a seal kit and has an install guide too.

My cover leaks a little from time-to-time but no where near as much as my 14 did. Ensure the right amount of shims are installed to ensure that there is less than a 1/16" of play on the sides (against the covers rails). Also, I have almost zero slack against the tailgate, but that is how I want it. I will most likely never open the cover w/ out opening the tailgate first. I treat it more like a trunk that a hatchback...

Denny

Thanks Denny. So you too have the American Workcover? Did you buy the Ford gasket that you mentioned above?

Found it :

Bed Tailgate Dust Seal

Part No: VFL3Z-99404A06-A

SRP: $27.53

Last edited: