Alternative Paint Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all!

I just recently saw a thread where someone had posted the prospective line up of paint options for the 2017 Raptor (2017 Raptor Color Options (From Ford Dealer)) and was decidedly underwhelmed. Lightning Blue looks pretty nice, but it all seems to be a rehash of the options available on the previous models and honestly is kind of bland. Three shades of grey? Come on now.

This got me wondering if anyone might know if it might be possible to custom order a Raptor with different paint then the stock options. One color I would LOVE to see on a Raptor is Gem Green, which is offered on the standard F-150.

When I was shopping around for my 2012 F-150 I really wanted to see it in person before just ordering one and taking a risk on not liking it, but instead just bought a silver one off the lot. I couldn't find one in Gem Green anywhere in my state that was close enough to check out and pictures online are only so good. Now I love my truck and think the silver looks really nice, but when I finally saw an F-150 about a year ago going down the highway in Gem Green, I was blown away! It looked absolutely beautiful!

Does anyone have any info on ordering custom paint options from the factory or will I be left with either stock options / after market paint shops?

Also if you have pictures of Raptor paint jobs feel free to share!

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford is not going to do a one off paint job. Look into a vinyl wrap. Possibilities are endless.

r3run33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the paint choices; someone in Ford must have got a good perk from the paint people to come up with these colors. I totally understand the manufacturing process and all colors will NOT be possible but these choices are really blah blah. The red looks cool but that is just a speeding ticket magnet I think the blue will be the biggest seller but that is also an attention seeker color in my opinion. bummed about the terrain :(

shakenbake

Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of semi-temporary alternatives via wrap, etc. I'd really love to see Ford just take a chance and have a rhino-lined entire Raptor. Maybe it's a weight issue, but they decreased the weight and as far as I can tell a hundred pounds or so extra of paint if it's something you would use off-road makes sense. I saw digital camp wrap and thought as cool as that looked, maybe a digital rhino lined print is possible once the tech catches up.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of semi-temporary alternatives via wrap, etc. I'd really love to see Ford just take a chance and have a rhino-lined entire Raptor. Maybe it's a weight issue, but they decreased the weight and as far as I can tell a hundred pounds or so extra of paint if it's something you would use off-road makes sense. I saw digital camp wrap and thought as cool as that looked, maybe a digital rhino lined print is possible once the tech catches up.

Take a chance on probably a million+ bucks worth of equipment to produce a special procedure to bedline an entire truck that not very many people will buy? Not going to happen.

shakenbake

Reaction score
Take a chance on probably a million+ bucks worth of equipment to produce a special procedure to bedline an entire truck that not very many people will buy? Not going to happen.

i agree. but it would suit the truck well. besides, i like it when automakers take risks. twenty years ago tiptronic and cvt were f1 dreams. now you find them in grocery getters.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, wanna separate yourself from all the 'others'? Offering some alternatives on paint finishes would be one of the ways to go. Unfortunately, the Big 3 are status quo when it comes to offering buyers any real crazy alternatives. Packaged vehicles are easier and cheaper to build. That's why the aftermarket is so strong these days.

If I was wanting something real different, I would go with a wrap. They have made great strides in improving the durability and longevity of the materials used, and the variations are endless. Stacking colors is another way to get creative.

If you are serious about the Line-X finish, you can get that done for $4k - $5k. I bet Ford's price to do a finish like that would be twice that and the quality wouldn't be as good as you can get at a good shop.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford didnt exactly go to crazy on the color options for the Gen1 either. I think the Raptor should have some more unusual paint options, just like Jeep have done over the years on the Wrangler