GEN 2 For 37" tires, would less offset wheels avoid rubbing/trimming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to the Raptor so a noob question. Eventually, I may go with 37 inch tires on my 2018 Raptor. The truck will just have the RPG 1.5" leveling kit installed.

I'm just curious, would a lesser offset wheel have less (or more) rubbing / trimming issues?

This is what I'm considering.

17 x 8.5 wide, +34 offset (I believe same as stock)
17 x 9.5 wide, +6 offset

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
grinder time :biggrin:

how many times will you show the same stupid, hamfisted trim job picture?

Do you EVER post anything outside of your ****** ebay lightbars and that trimming pic?

trolling is supposed to be funny. you need new material.

whan

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to the Raptor so a noob question. Eventually, I may go with 37 inch tires on my 2018 Raptor. The truck will just have the RPG 1.5" leveling kit installed.

I'm just curious, would a lesser offset wheel have less (or more) rubbing / trimming issues?

This is what I'm considering.

17 x 8.5 wide, +34 offset (I believe same as stock)
17 x 9.5 wide, +6 offset

9.5 wide will also push out each end of the wheel (and potentially tire) by 0.5 inches, which is compared to a 8.5 inch tire would equivalent to an incremental -12 offset. So effectively would be similar to an 8.5 with a -6 offset. Given people rub on a anything lower than a 0 offset with 35s, I would assume a 37 definitely would.

I have heard the stock offset and 37s seems to be ok

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll just end up going with the aftermarket wheels that are 17 x 8.5 wide, +34 offset. :favorites13:

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know how this works out for you. I also plan to swap the factory tires for 37’s as soon as the truck arrives in February.

OP
OP
P

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Let us know how this works out for you. I also plan to swap the factory tires for 37’s as soon as the truck arrives in February.

Will do. I plan on bringing it to Discount Tire to have them test fit it within the next week. The hardest thing is finding a nearby discount tire that has 37's in stock.

Just a naked eye observation, seems like it will work with no issues. A lot of room, but I'll see...

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9.5 wide will also push out each end of the wheel (and potentially tire) by 0.5 inches, which is compared to a 8.5 inch tire would equivalent to an incremental -12 offset. So effectively would be similar to an 8.5 with a -6 offset. ...

Wrong! The offset of the wheel will be the exact same offset of the tire. This is because the tire is centered on the wheel. So even if the face of the wheel sticks out more than stock, the outside of the tire will still be offset by the same amount of whatevr the difference in offset of the wheel is.

See this post for a pictoral explanation..

Last edited:

whan

Reaction score
Wrong! The offset of the wheel will be the exact same offset of the tire. This is because the tire is centered on the wheel. So even if the face of the wheel sticks out more than stock, the outside of the tire will still be offset by the same amount of whatevr the difference in offset of the wheel is.

See this post for a pictoral explanation..

I understand that the offset of the wheel is same as offset of tire, although having a wider tire may potentially increase tire bulge - which is why above I said "and potentially tire". Difficult to measure that exactly since it depends on the stiffness of sidewall overall and a variety of other factors.

It is certain that where the wheel beads are, the tire will be 0.5 inches further out, but obviously since the tires stick out more the further they get away from the wheel, it's not 100% certain how much more they will stick out at peak vs an 8.5 inch wheel.

I get overall that "offset" != "how far tire sticks out", but since it's the most commonly talked about measurement I tried to simplify