GEN 2 2017 Beadlock wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to posting here, but I've been watching for a while. I have 2017 screw on order with the standard wheels, but since my order is not yet in production I'm considering changing to the beadlock wheels. The truck will be my daily driver and primarily on pavement, though I have many off-roading areas within a few hours of my house.

My questions are as follows:

1. For those of you who have seen both the regular wheels and the beadlock wheels in person, what is your preference?

2. Does anyone know what the cost is for the rings for the 2017? I've asked my dealer, but he hasn't answered my question.

3. I thought I heard that the beadlock ring is only designed to be used off-road. That being the case, what is the typical process - drive to the trail head without the rings installed, then install on the side of the road AT the trailhead? Or they simply saying that you should only deflate your tires when you are off-road?

4. Is there still a delay on vehicles with the forged beadlock wheels? I've read that both the carbon fiber package and the forged wheels were causing orders to be delayed, so I wouldn't want to add the wheels only to find that my order takes even longer to go into production.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that others have had to remove the beadlocks from their order if they wanted to have them built now due to a product shortage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. I thought I heard that the beadlock ring is only designed to be used off-road. That being the case, what is the typical process - drive to the trail head without the rings installed, then install on the side of the road AT the trailhead? Or they simply saying that you should only deflate your tires when you are off-road?

This is not something you could do on the trail. Switching over to beadlocks requires breaking the bead and moving it to the outside of the wheel and clamping it in place with the beadlock ring. You would need to do this before you head out to the trail. Beadlocks are not DOT approved but pose no real danger on the road. That being said, unless you plan on airing way down and doing some rock crawling, you don't need beadlock rings installed. I ordered beadlocks on my truck for the looks and the value. You can't find aftermarket forged wheels that cheap. Being able to add beadlock rings is just an added benefit that I'll probably never use.

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the standard wheel more than the beadlocks, but it depends on vehicle color. If I wasn't rock crawling I'd save 1k and stick with the standards, probably lighter too, so that's a bonus on top.

DROPOUT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the standard's came in Gunmetal or Black (Like original Pictures) ~ I would have gone with them and saved the $1k. However, the Beadlocks were the only black option so I went with those.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the standard wheel more than the beadlocks, but it depends on vehicle color. If I wasn't rock crawling I'd save 1k and stick with the standards, probably lighter too, so that's a bonus on top.

I would be very surprised if they are lighter considering the standard wheel is cast and the beadlock is forged.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to weigh them? I'll put some money on the stockers

I'll gladly weigh my forged beadlock wheels when my truck ever arrives.

Physics dictates that with two like wheels forged will be lighter. That being said, they are different designs and the trim ring could add some weight. I still think the forged beadlock wheels will be lighter or worst case the same.

Cast Wheels VS Forged Wheels, What

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll gladly weigh my forged beadlock wheels when my truck ever arrives.

Physics dictates that with two like wheels forged will be lighter. That being said, they are different designs and the trim ring could add some weight. I still think the forged beadlock wheels will be lighter or worst case the same.

Cast Wheels VS Forged Wheels, What

Cast has air pockets/poris and will be lighter if same size. The forged has much higher strength than the cast because it doesn't have those pockets so it can be machined down much thinner, maintaining strength. What I like about this cast design is that it looks to be fairly sturdy without a ton of material. I guess I could make a better judgment of weight once I see them both close up. I don't know how thin the forged is, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like there is more cut outs in the standard. That beadlock ring will probably add 5 lbs to the weight of the wheel.

OP
OP
C

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not something you could do on the trail. Switching over to beadlocks requires breaking the bead and moving it to the outside of the wheel and clamping it in place with the beadlock ring. You would need to do this before you head out to the trail. Beadlocks are not DOT approved but pose no real danger on the road. That being said, unless you plan on airing way down and doing some rock crawling, you don't need beadlock rings installed. I ordered beadlocks on my truck for the looks and the value. You can't find aftermarket forged wheels that cheap. Being able to add beadlock rings is just an added benefit that I'll probably never use.

Thank you for the explanation. I couldn't figure out how an external ring was serving any purpose in terms of securing the tire, so now it makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Personally, I think both styles of wheels look good in pictures, though I'm yet to see either in person. I think I'll stick with my standard rims and maybe powder coat them if I don't like the factory finish. I'm doubtful I'd ever use the beadlock wheels with a beadlock ring, so I might be better saving the money for another mod.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk