GEN 2 Why does the bluetooth phone interface suck so bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lightman02

Reaction score
That's fair but my 2016 Tundra had better BT integration. I like the CarPlay integration the Ford has, but you have to plug in to get that which is annoying and I'm sure that's an Apple limitation.

You have to plug in Android as well for Android Auto which is similar to Apple Car Play. I think it's just the way it works for all the data streaming with maps, etc, I don't think it's a Ford limitation. However I found using Google voice for phone functions is even better then Sync's voice command when using Android Auto.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I have not had any Bluetooth integration issues on my vehicles. I strictly use Pandora for music, and always do that via Bluetooth... works great via apple products so far. I will be upgrading to Google Pixel son, so will test that out.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change your wife’s name in your contacts to just “Wife”. Now when you use the voice commands just say, “Call my wife, mobile/home/work, etc....”

I use CarPlay and contacts come up there.

You can set “wife” without changing your wife’s name in contacts - just tell Siri who your wife is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

caleb

Reaction score
You can set “wife” without changing your wife’s name in contacts - just tell Siri who your wife is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually do have my wife set as "wife" already. So, semi-funny story, tonight on the way home from work I decided to try voice again. I say "call wife cell"...of course, the response I get is "calling marv white cell"...I have no clue who marv white is but apparently his number is in my contacts. :biggrin:

As for the actual bluetooth connection, that's not what I'm complaining about. In fact the bluetooth connection in my truck is probably one of the clearest BT connections I've had in my vehicles. I'm quite impressed with it once i finally do get my wife one the phone, she also says it's much more clear than my Tundra ever was on her end as well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I have not had any Bluetooth integration issues on my vehicles. I strictly use Pandora for music, and always do that via Bluetooth... works great via apple products so far. I will be upgrading to Google Pixel son, so will test that out.

Which is completely irrelevant to the original poster’s query and commentary, which a 2017 F150 that you have zero clues about.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually do have my wife set as "wife" already. So, semi-funny story, tonight on the way home from work I decided to try voice again. I say "call wife cell"...of course, the response I get is "calling marv white cell"...I have no clue who marv white is but apparently his number is in my contacts. :biggrin:

As for the actual bluetooth connection, that's not what I'm complaining about. In fact the bluetooth connection in my truck is probably one of the clearest BT connections I've had in my vehicles. I'm quite impressed with it once i finally do get my wife one the phone, she also says it's much more clear than my Tundra ever was on her end as well.

Say "call wife ON cell" that should fix that particular issue. Using "on" or "at" between the name and which number you want to call should fix most of those issues.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the Ford bluetooth phone interface has to be the worse interface I've had in any vehicle. Even worse than Toyota, who's YEARS behind in the technology department.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there no way to save favorites or do you really have to go in to contacts every time you want to call someone? Oh, and recent calls...well that's only recent since you turned your truck on...gah, I can't stand it.

Please tell me I'm dumb and I'm missing something. :biggrin:

So this might not mean you’re missing something, but personally I don’t use the menu interface for phone calls at all. I simply hold down the voice prompt button on the steering wheel for 3-4 seconds which activates Siri (not the Sync 3 voice prompt, but actual Siri on the phone) and then I do the normal “call so-and-so on their mobile” or whatever. It works quite well. And you don’t need the phone plugged in to do this as it’s not using CarPlay at all. Simply Siri over Bluetooth. Maybe something worth trying.

Last edited: