Spare Key to run truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can run the truck with a Chipped key?

I like to hide a key on the truck incase I lose mine but surely dont want to hide a FOB!

So do these trucks start if a chipped key is recognized within the cab?
Or does it have to be a FOB inside the cab to start them?

Anyone made a spare that works this way? Wonder if MyKey would do it if I didnt impose any of the MyKey limiting features (re reduced speed, music volume ect...)

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can run the truck with a Chipped key?

I like to hide a key on the truck incase I lose mine but surely dont want to hide a FOB!

So do these trucks start if a chipped key is recognized within the cab?
Or does it have to be a FOB inside the cab to start them?

Anyone made a spare that works this way? Wonder if MyKey would do it if I didnt impose any of the MyKey limiting features (re reduced speed, music volume ect...)

You can unlock your truck from anywhere with the FordPass app on your phone....Thats another option.

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup got that, thinking more of a day of adventure when I dont take my phone on a raft trip or biking ect...

Can also unlock thru keypad, but want a bare bones backup key onboard without fob option

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you leave a FOB inside the truck (with no batteries in it) it will still allow you to start the truck if the FOB is placed in the slot below the rubber pad in the forward center console cup holder. Still would have to hide the FOB somewhere inside the truck. Just take the batteries out of it so no-one can just start the truck.

Just my theory. Would have to test it to be sure.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this still applies to our 17s, but on other cars I have wrapped the spare & hidden fob in AlumFoil (versus removing battery). Can then access the truck with phone app or keypad... but an unsuspecting person in your car couldn't start it unless they found the spare fob and unwrapped it. It was actually the lil foil sheet our tollway transponders are issued i'm, assuming its just alum foil

Also thought that if the spare fob was inside vehicle and then locked with other fob or app, its functionality to open the doors was blocked... you could then start it once inside though. maybe someone who read the whole section of the manual on that could clarify ;)

On prev cars the remote start function wouldnt work, or you would get double honks when attempting to start or lock with fob inside. The foil or battery removed resolved that, and/or unintended start by unsuspecting person in the vehicle w/o a key