Gun holders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What if you get mad at someone on the road? Like if someone gives you the finger... What do you do? :-(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

What if you get mad at someone on the road? Like if someone gives you the finger... What do you do? :-(

Half kidding here.. but really what? [emoji3]

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Blow them a kiss. If you are worried about someone flipping you off, concealed carry is not for you. If my gun is drawn it will be used. With that said it is the absolute last resort.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Here’s the thing: The people you’re asking for opinions about this - quite frankly, silly question have been carrying guns for years, maybe decades. The fact that they’re not writing to you from prison tells you a lot. Just getting a permit requires a bunch of legal hurdles that civilians tend to appreciate.

Statistically speaking, you stand a higher chance of suffering violence from law enforcement than you do from someone carrying a gun under the authority of a civilian permit in the USA.

Probably most of the “target audience” of your question drive in a fashion as to not get birded and probably aren’t going to engage beyond a birding if it does happen.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've always been interested in gun ownership, but won't do it until I take a gun safety course. I just love some of these setups. Truck drivers are crazy.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I've always been interested in gun ownership, but won't do it until I take a gun safety course. I just love some of these setups. Truck drivers are crazy.

Take a safety course and then get some professional training. Learn proper fundamentals from the beginning. It is similar to golf in that bad habits are easy to learn and hard to break. It's also a diminishing skill. If you don't practice your skill set fades rapidly.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take a safety course and then get some professional training. Learn proper fundamentals from the beginning. It is similar to golf in that bad habits are easy to learn and hard to break. It's also a diminishing skill. If you don't practice your skill set fades rapidly.
Good call.

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask you guys... What would you do with your gun right next to you in the truck? How do you not get shot by the police when you get pulled over?

I get nervous everytime I get pulled over.. I ask for permission to reach into any compartment to get any item.

I do that even if I don't have a gun in my vehicle. I turn on all interior lights, roll down all windows and sit still with my hands on the window ledge until they approach.

Then I tell them where all my paperwork is and ask permission to retrieve it.

Better safe than tazed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. If you arm your vehicle, you have not armed yourself. The minute you get out of your vehicle to pump gas, buy coffee, etc. you are unarmed. Your truck can't shoot.

2. Almost all of the options available for hanging a handgun inside your vehicle are problematic. It's either a slow draw or you muzzle yourself. By the time you can actually put your firearm on target your attacker has had all the time he needs to kill you.

3. IF you have a CCW, the proper way to behave when pulled over is to turn on your interior lights (if it's nighttime), roll down your window, and keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel where the LEO can see them. Then wait without moving while he runs your plates. Do not fidget. Do not dig for your license and registration. He will be watching you, and he cannot know what you're digging for. Just wait. When he comes to your B-pillar he will tell you why he pulled you over. At that point tell him that you have a CCW, that you are armed, and where your gun is. He will give you instructions. Follow those instructions without error.

I was recently pulled over by an eager beaver trooper, and before I could tell him anything he asked if I had a CCW because I had turned on the interior lights, rolled down the window, and kept my hands on the wheel. He knew what that meant before I could tell him! That put him at ease, and he didn't write me a ticket.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m going to partially disagree with Ruger.

First off, His advice is tactically sound, and generally good. That said, some states do not require “notification” or advising LE that you are carrying a firearm.

AZ has what is probably the kookiest “must surrender” law ever written. They explicitly state that upon any demand of LE you must surrender the firearm, but Ruger is specifically addressing notification. There is some dispute about whether or not you’re wise to notify during a stop. For a while, some of the state police agencies, who communicate with each other via various “professional” groups and organizations, were making it a policy to seize firearms upon notification. It was going on in VA by direction of the state police superintendent, and other states were doing it as a matter of practice, for no other reason than you as a motorist said “howdy trooper/officer/deputy, just to let you know, I’ve got a license / permit and am armed”.

Seizing a firearm is, frankly, incredibly dangerous to you and your family and honestly not something you should acquiesce to alone on the side of the road.
Police in general are notoriously bad gun handlers. A significant portion of them are not enthusiasts, only carry because of duty requirement and qualification fire only. These people do not understand the 3 rules, are unconsciously incompetent (gun handlers), not knowing how unskilled they actually are and put in a position of taking a gun off of your person, are sweeping you a minimum of one time with a loaded gun. That’s a lethal degree of force being applied against you no matter how authorized or justified it might be.

I tend to fall more on Ruger’s side than the “don’t notify” side of things because I’ve never (yet; knock wood) been victimized by one of the always seize the gun departments or revenuers. My state does not require notification but I do it. My state also ties the record of the permit/license to the drivers license so when the license is run, the permit is disclosed to the officer running the license. Further, your plates tie to your D/L and the officer is advised of this when your plates or run - so, while you’re being followed by police they’re often running your plate. dispatch will report back owner reported as ... d/l reports owner has a concealed handgun permit. So chances are the cops in my jurisdiction know I have a permit before we speak.

I tend to notify quietly once I’ve handed over license, reg. (I include the permit) and I tell them then, the same time I ask for the warning.

here’s why I mention the “do not disclose” side of the discussion. Sometimes you’ve got a cop who has lost their cool. This is a dangerous situation under any circumstance, but youtube is littered with videos of officers who, through their errant behavior have displayed for the world they should be employed otherwise. Deescalation is a talent that is rare and it is a difficult skill to employ on the spot if you haven’t practiced it so there may be a time when silence is your best friend.

Of course, there’s always the 5th amendment. Interactions with police on the side of the road do not deprive you of your 5th Amendment right to remain silent. You are not required speak during a traffic stop, you may be required to produce documentation or evidence that you’re legally permitted to drive, etc. but you can choose silence. It may not give you all the opportunities to present your human side, but it’s still permissible to remain silent to LE in the USA. For now.

I do also get Ruger’s advice about an armed truck vs. an armed person, but, I also think that’s monochromatic thinking. Lucille and I both can be armed :biggrin:

One is none and 2 is one. - Clint Smith.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer, I appreciate your comments. I reply as follows:

I can't speak for 49 states, but I know of a certainty that when a Nevada LEO runs your driver's license he will be informed that you hold a CCW if in fact you do. Now, do you want the armed LEO to learn that you're armed from Dispatch or do you want him to learn it from you?

Where I come from, and I can speak for both Alabama and Nevada which are both open carry states, it is considered by LEOs to be s technical foul if you don't inform them that you're armed. Why? Because, the LEO has every right and every intention to go home whole and safe to his family at the end of his shift. That is his mindset, by the way. So if you're armed and you don't tell him, regardless of what the laws of your state require, what does it tell him? It tells him that you intended to keep your firearm a secret from him. And what might that lead him to conclude?

You don't want him to go that way! You don't want him to EVER wonder whether you might be a threat to him. You want him to know for certain that you are no threat to him going home safely at the end of his shift. You do that by communicating honestly with him. One very good way to do that is to present your CCW at the same time that you present your driver's license.

I do understand your concerns about some LEOs being poor gun handlers. My own approach to this, though I've never had to implement it, is to allow the LEO to disarm me himself if he asks me to surrender my weapon. I would try my damndest to not draw my weapon from my holster even though that's what an LEO has asked me to do. Drawing a weapon from holster can be interpreted as threatening. His body camera would record my pulling the weapon from my holster. I don't want that. I'll turn to the side and allow him to pull my weapon out, with verbal caution from me that it's this or that kind of weapon and does or does not have a safety. That way the freshest fingerprints on the weapon will be his, not mine, and his body camera will record that I never touched my weapon in his presence.

This is opinion. However, it is opinion based upon 30+ years of holding a CCW along with the training and experience that comes with being a reserve sheriff's deputy.

As to having a gun in the rig as well as on the person, no argument. The old saw is that your handgun is how you're going to fight your way to your long gun. Having a truck gun available is peace of mind, especially in some locales. But there's a trick to it. It need to be accessible to you and also needs to be theft proof. Worrying about whether your truck gun is being stolen is not peace of mind, and solving that problem can be tough for some vehicles and perhaps even impossible for others.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20