Front Windsheild Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I posted this in the right section (Int or Ext) but anyway.....

Has anyone tinted their front windshield? Not for a color change, just clear tint for UV protection? If so, any issues with polarized sunglasses.....distortion or otherwise? Also, is it effective in heat reduction?

I’m late the the game, but I had huper optik installed on my windshield. Drove home, left it in the sun for 3 days to get all the moisture out, then drove back to the installer to have it removed. I gave them my polarized glasses and they were amazed. Do not put uv film on the windshield if you wear polarized glasses.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m late the the game, but I had huper optik installed on my windshield. Drove home, left it in the sun for 3 days to get all the moisture out, then drove back to the installer to have it removed. I gave them my polarized glasses and they were amazed. Do not put uv film on the windshield if you wear polarized glasses.

YMMV

I have polarized shades with air 80 ceramic tint on all my WS, and I can barely see the "rainbows" when driving

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar location as our Gen 2, maybe they made it a whole lot more sensitive than the Gen 1 (just like the Gen 2 owners compared to the Gen 1, ohhhhhhh....) Haha
I've been driving a 2018 around and even without windshield tint the sensor will switch to dark mode constantly in early morning late afternoon sun.

These pics are about 2 hours before the goes below the horizon lol. I don't know what the deal is but it makes parking garage parking kinda like I don't even have a camera system lol
3e5974c6c244fc105e2163e3290e886f.jpg77ff40c3e6ba3978c88efc1828a0a8b4.jpg679f24c409e1bc5212511e2f8b82c24c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RaptorUSN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my windshield I've got SunTek Ceramic aka CIR 55% and zero issues with line of sight with or without polarized glasses. I also have the front 2 windows in CIR to match factory back windows. My truck sits on a hot tarmac during the summer months. I was a bit skeptical about the heat rejection, but it definitely does work. There is a noticeable difference in temp when I get in it at the end of the day.

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a 2018 around and even without windshield tint the sensor will switch to dark mode constantly in early morning late afternoon sun.

These pics are about 2 hours before the goes below the horizon lol. I don't know what the deal is but it makes parking garage parking kinda like I don't even have a camera system lol
679f24c409e1bc5212511e2f8b82c24c.jpg

You should take your truck to a local car stereo shop and tell them you want a mirror mount and a smart cord installed. Make sure to get the smart cord with the mute button.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0003NN83K/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JCVGYT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should take your truck to a local car stereo shop and tell them you want a mirror mount and a smart cord installed. Make sure to get the smart cord with the mute button.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0003NN83K/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JCVGYT/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Actually just got my max 360 in yesterday! I have the radar all nicely mounted and the stock smartcord, only thing I want now is the direct line in one you sent that will run around the windshield hidden or something to clean up the interior

The mirror mount looks nice, but the sticky suction cup that came with the 360 tucks in behind the mirror nicely, I'll have to see how it holds up!

Last edited:

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually just got my max 360 in yesterday! I have the radar all nicely mounted and the stock smartcord, only thing I want now is the direct line in one you sent that will run around the windshield hidden or something to clean up the interior

There you go. One of the two links I put on there is to the direct wire smart cord. I mounted the button for mine just to the right of the steering wheel. There is a perfect little spot for it there.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go. One of the two links I put on there is to the direct wire smart cord. I mounted the button for mine just to the right of the steering wheel. There is a perfect little spot for it there.
Thanks for the link! I definitely want to do that right in front of the steering wheel would make it super nice and fully clean up the dash!

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning: Long Story

Ok, so I have an update. After I had my windows tinted by a guy who swore his was the very best ceramic tint money could buy. I brought the truck back to him to have him apply "paint protection." It's basically clear film over the front of the car to prevent rock chips. His paint protection sucked. I hated it and it looked like shit. You could see stretch marks all over the film where he heated it up to stretch it out. Then it stopped covering all the surfaces about an 1/8th of an inch from the edge. I bought it back to him and told him that it looked bad with all the stretch marks in it, and that the front windshield tint had a line that went across the front that was driving me nuts. It was very slight, but dead center in my field of view, and I could see it everytime I drove the truck. First he said the clear stuff on the front would even out as it dried on the truck. That never happened. Then him and another guy that worked there looked in the truck and insisted that the line was in the glass. He offered to redo it to prove it was in the glass, but warned that windshields were inherently difficult and that mine was cut and placed perfectly. So I let it go.

So After I got a rock chip on the hood in that 1/8th of an inch, I took it to a more reputable shop in town and had them redo the whole clear bra thing (at twice the price of course). But they did a killer job, and didn't use some pre-cut crap that they ordered. They actually did it like a wrap on the front of the truck. It looks infinitely better. If anyone is in the Northeast Georgia area and wants their truck protected this stuff is awesome, and these guys do an awesome job. Hydro-phobic, self-healing, and it looks awesome. Now when I told the new tinter the story about the front windshield, and I got to the part about the front windshield having a line from the factory, he looked at me like I was nuts. He jumped in the truck (along with 3 other tinters at his shop) and laughed. He said it was shit film. The line (in fact two lines) were in the film. I asked him if he was sure, and he said of course. Needless to say he replaced it with his film and the lines are gone. In the process he showed me the tint he took off and pointed out how it had already started fading at the edges, despite only being a couple months old. He said it was absolute garbage. Now maybe it's psychosomatic, but I swear the front windshield looks a lot clearer, and here's where I [finally] get to the point of this story. Since I did this, the headlights turn on during the day A LOT less (like almost never), and the automatic windshield wipers have started working better. To clarify, with the old tint, if it was raining they worked fine, but if I started the truck and there was water on the windshield, I had to move the stalk one tick to make it wipe that initial water off. Then it would work fine for the rest of the trip. Now with the new film, when I start the truck, if there is water on the windshield, it wipes it like it's supposed to.

Anyway, if anyone with the same problem is interested in seeing if you get the same results, the tint that is on my windshield now is SunTek. And if you live in the northeast Georgia area, I have a great shop recommendation.

Josh