Front Windsheild Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I posted this in the right section (Int or Ext) but anyway.....

Has anyone tinted their front windshield? Not for a color change, just clear tint for UV protection? If so, any issues with polarized sunglasses.....distortion or otherwise? Also, is it effective in heat reduction?

SVT_Aaron

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Has anyone tinted their front windshield? Not for a color change, just clear tint for UV protection? If so, any issues with polarized sunglasses.....distortion or otherwise? Also, is it effective in heat reduction?

I had mine done with a light tint, no issues with polarized glasses (Oakley) it also depend on the brand of tint put on the vehicle. A buddy of mine has 3M tint and I do see distortion and rainbow colors when wearing my glasses, I did not use 3M tint so I do not see any distortion. As for heat reduction, yes I have noticed a big difference!

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tinted my Odyssey windows last week with 3M crystalline 50% on front side windows, 70% on all rear windows, and air80 on the front windshield (because crystalline film wasn't wide enough to fit the huge windshield). I just got back yesterday from a long road trip to Bullhead City/ Laughlin Arizona and Las Vegas and the temps were up to 117.

I could definitely feel a huge difference in heat reduction from having tint and no tint. Also the crystalline is much better than the air80 in heat reduction and visual distortion. Much of the distortion i notice when I put my polorized glasses on and almost none when I take them off.

After this road trip I highly recommend tinting everything with crystalline even the front windshield because so much heat comes through there.

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic tint makes a HUGE difference. Get everything done, including the sunroof.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have NOT done it, but have examined this at my installer, who does a great job. That said, there is NO WAY you'll be able to wear polarized glasses without seeing banding or rainbows. I've looked though pretty much every tint and brand and they ALL caused banding unfortunately.

As for UV and heat, oddly enough yes, it does reduce the heat from UV. BUT...I don't know of a single windshield that isn't safety laminated; and that lamination also is a UV blocker. For that matter, all windows contain a UV blocker of some sort. So, why bother tinting ANY window?? Makes you wonder we get MORE heat reduction off of the darker films used on side windows? After all, "supposedly", the heat comes from UV, but obviously this isn't true...it also is transmitted through visible light as well as CONDUCTED heat. That's why these tints work; they reflect that radiated heat away from the glass, making it cooler. This is easily insider ed with the touch test.

So...THAT is a major problem since you'd have to have a reflective tint to repel that energy...and for the windshield...that is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have NOT done it, but have examined this at my installer, who does a great job. That said, there is NO WAY you'll be able to wear polarized glasses without seeing banding or rainbows. I've looked though pretty much every tint and brand and they ALL caused banding unfortunately.

As for UV and heat, oddly enough yes, it does reduce the heat from UV. BUT...I don't know of a single windshield that isn't safety laminated; and that lamination also is a UV blocker. For that matter, all windows contain a UV blocker of some sort. So, why bother tinting ANY window?? Makes you wonder we get MORE heat reduction off of the darker films used on side windows? After all, "supposedly", the heat comes from UV, but obviously this isn't true...it also is transmitted through visible light as well as CONDUCTED heat. That's why these tints work; they reflect that radiated heat away from the glass, making it cooler. This is easily insider ed with the touch test.

So...THAT is a major problem since you'd have to have a reflective tint to repel that energy...and for the windshield...that is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a little confusing. Side windows generally block UVB rays and do not block UVA rays. Windshields block both UVB and UVA rays. So if you tinted your side windows you would benefit from UV protection and same if you tinted your windshield, but the difference would be very little almost nothing. BUT the benefit to tinting your windshield then would be dependent upon which type of tint you choose: ceramic, carbon, or dye (or a combination of those types). Even more confusing is reading the TSER (total solar energy rejected) for each type of tint. Yes, TSER is a great way to compare the performance of each tint, but it does not give you the full picture. Some tints you want to REFLECT heat. Some you want to ABSORB heat. In most cases, the ideal tint for heat rejection would be high metallic content, but the downside for cars is that it would interfere with electronics and your windows would be shiny reflective similar to a mirror. For cars you want style ie shaded tint vs reflective, electronic compatibility, and performance. Ceramics are good for ABSORBING heat. And it's important to understand why absorbing heat is good and bad. Do a lot of research on which type of tint you want. A good starting point is comparing TSER values and then comparing shade coefficient/color. My 2 biggest points were heat rejection and clarity, so I chose a ceramic on my front windshield.

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome info!!

It's a little confusing. Side windows generally block UVB rays and do not block UVA rays. Windshields block both UVB and UVA rays. So if you tinted your side windows you would benefit from UV protection and same if you tinted your windshield, but the difference would be very little almost nothing. BUT the benefit to tinting your windshield then would be dependent upon which type of tint you choose: ceramic, carbon, or dye (or a combination of those types). Even more confusing is reading the TSER (total solar energy rejected) for each type of tint. Yes, TSER is a great way to compare the performance of each tint, but it does not give you the full picture. Some tints you want to REFLECT heat. Some you want to ABSORB heat. In most cases, the ideal tint for heat rejection would be high metallic content, but the downside for cars is that it would interfere with electronics and your windows would be shiny reflective similar to a mirror. For cars you want style ie shaded tint vs reflective, electronic compatibility, and performance. Ceramics are good for ABSORBING heat. And it's important to understand why absorbing heat is good and bad. Do a lot of research on which type of tint you want. A good starting point is comparing TSER values and then comparing shade coefficient/color. My 2 biggest points were heat rejection and clarity, so I chose a ceramic on my front windshield.

Wow, that's why I love this forum...SO MUCH GOOD INFO!!!

Didn't realize about side windows not blocking UVA...interesting.