GEN 2 Center Channel Speaker Tray - removal & mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recall seeing someone had done a mod using the Center Channel Speaker Tray - perhaps it was a cell phone or tablet mount?

* Do you use the tray? For what - what do you put in there?

* If you've modified that area or the tray itself - what did you do?

* How is the tray removed? And what's under it - are there any bolts that could be used for mounting points? Any pics?

* It looks like the center channel speaker could easily be replaced/upgraded but I don't want this thread to focus on that.

2017-ford-f150-raptor-dashboard.jpg

I believe the speaker cover pops off pretty easily by prying it up. What about the Tray - how is it removed?

Cabinetman

Reaction score
I haven't done any mods, but I removed mine yesterday to fix a rattle I had in the center stack. The cover over the speaker is held on with 4 clips. I started prying at the front with a trim tool and worked my way around until the speaker cover was free. Once the speaker cover is off you will find two 7mm screws at the back of the tray. Remove those screws. In the front of the tray there are 3 clips that you will pop up and then you can remove the entire tray. The center speaker in installed in the tray so you will need to unclip the wire to the speaker to full remove. It took me about 5 minutes to get the tray out.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful removing it. The textured gray on our dash panel is scratched or marred VERY easily! Ask me how I know...

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful removing it. The textured gray on our dash panel is scratched or marred VERY easily! Ask me how I know...

Yes it is. The soft touch stuff on the dash will scratch with minimal pressure.

Beware

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic, metal, paint - everything on this truck is soft. "Ford Tough" doesn't mean what Ford wants you to believe.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any idea where to find a replacement tray (the part under the mat)? I'm considering doing a gauge setup and it would be nice to have one to play with. I haven't had much luck Googling so far.

Yeah yeah, go to the dealer and pay $500 for a .12 cent piece of plastic. But other than that?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where to find a replacement tray (the part under the mat)? I'm considering doing a gauge setup and it would be nice to have one to play with. I haven't had much luck Googling so far.

Yeah yeah, go to the dealer and pay $500 for a .12 cent piece of plastic. But other than that?

not sure what year you're looking for, but a quick search on eBay for 2015 f150 dash tray produced multiple hits

OP
OP
W

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found it... BuiltRight Dash Mount
https://www.builtrightind.com/products/builtright-industries-dash-mount-2015-ford-f-150

dashmount_2015_f150_1.JPG

And here's their installation video which tells all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=1qEkSNGyFEw