SVCOFFROAD C.A.S. Coil Adjustment System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really like to know where any of the lift systems puts ride height with respect to bypass zones. There are 9 of them and I would guess 5-6 compression and 3-4 rebound. Knowing that would is rather important for offroad use versus "the look". Have you had any of the shocks apart yet to determine this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would really like to know where any of the lift systems puts ride height with respect to bypass zones. There are 9 of them and I would guess 5-6 compression and 3-4 rebound. Knowing that would is rather important for offroad use versus "the look". Have you had any of the shocks apart yet to determine this? Thanks.

I know Corey at RPG has cut away shocks from Fox of both the front and rear shocks on the Gen 2 that he brings to events. They are pretty bad ass.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

They are off to get hard anodized. Cant wait to get them back

IMG_3897_zpszck4bpid.jpg
IMG_388d%202_zpsxg2yvelu.jpg
IMG_3896%202_zpsni8rtc7j.jpg

Jarrett

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Anytime you change where the piston rides in the intended neutral zone there will most likely be an effect on ride characteristics, the question is how much, and is that effect negative or positive? For example, if you lift your truck about 2inches in ride height, it will drop the piston in the body of the shock and take it further away from the bump zone, but put you closer to full extension on the shock. Essentially where the piston rides will be up to the end user and how much lift they are trying to achieve. The characteristics of the shock stays the same because the bypass ports remain in the same location. As the piston cycles through the travel, the shock will still have the exact same damping as stock setup, the only variable that changed is where the piston sits at ride height and where it is starting it's cycling point. For those who have been driving in the dirt for a long time know the added bonus of increased ride heights are better ground clearance and adding a little bit of preload to the spring to help keep the nose of the truck up and not shoveled into the dirt.

If you look at the old 3.0 Fox IP Remote Res shocks that replaced the factory 2.5"s on the Gen 1 Raptor they had infinite adjustment on the threaded body. When we added preload to those shocks they seemed to handle much better than with no pre-load added. I'm going to assume the same for the new OE 3.0, but only time and testing will tell.

Thanks

Jarrett

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We designed it so the lowest setting should be pretty dam close to factory ride height, but until I get the part on the test truck I cant give you a concrete number because I learned a long time ago when it works in the computer, doesn't mean it will necessarily be the same in reality.

Jarrett

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response, I fully understand the effect of the piston location with respect to the bypass ports although it will serve as a great tutorial for many others on the forum. my question is at what point will the preload put the piston beyond the designed ride height zone of the bypass system which will result in more clearance but could also negatively affect the shock response to the terrain. I say could because I don't have my truck yet nor have I seen anyone tear into the shocks yet and measure this or get some real offroad data between stock and leveled. Increased ride height is an added bonus in some situations and a negative in others, the same is true for spring rate and preload. Too much can really make the truck handle terrible and it can also through off the valving in the shock as it has to resist a higher load from the spring. This is unlikely with a system like yours utilizing the stock spring but I would still like to know if the truck is riding in the same bypass zone as stock with 1-2" of increased ride height and the distance to the next bypass zones. For your information, I am not a rookie offroader and have ridden bikes, ATVs, UTVs, Jeeps, and trucks for 30 years from the Rockies to Baja.

BTW, Your parts are looking very nice and I can't wait to see them complete. The infinite adjustability is a real bonus for your design.

OP
OP
svc

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the response, I fully understand the effect of the piston location with respect to the bypass ports although it will serve as a great tutorial for many others on the forum. my question is at what point will the preload put the piston beyond the designed ride height zone of the bypass system which will result in more clearance but could also negatively affect the shock response to the terrain. I say could because I don't have my truck yet nor have I seen anyone tear into the shocks yet and measure this or get some real offroad data between stock and leveled. Increased ride height is an added bonus in some situations and a negative in others, the same is true for spring rate and preload. Too much can really make the truck handle terrible and it can also through off the valving in the shock as it has to resist a higher load from the spring. This is unlikely with a system like yours utilizing the stock spring but I would still like to know if the truck is riding in the same bypass zone as stock with 1-2" of increased ride height and the distance to the next bypass zones. For your information, I am not a rookie offroader and have ridden bikes, ATVs, UTVs, Jeeps, and trucks for 30 years from the Rockies to Baja.

BTW, Your parts are looking very nice and I can't wait to see them complete. The infinite adjustability is a real bonus for your design.

Your questions are all very good and valid. Basically we are going to have to measure the shaft at stock ride height and the shaft at all different ride heights, open up the shock and see where the piston is sitting. Most likely the neutral zone will be more than large enough to keep the piston within the bypass ports. If it's not, then one would assume even if the piston at a really high ride height or low ride height and is sitting just beyond a rebound or compression bypass zone, then that zone would be on the softer side when it comes to the first stages of bypass shims. for example, when we tune the rear shocks that have 5 tubes, we tend to leave the first tube fairly open and progressively increase the compression as the tubes run up the shock, same theory goes for rebound. This allows for a good ramp up in compression control and typically helps takes out some of the harshness that you feel in a shock.

Long story short, we are gonna put the kit on, test it in all different types of conditions and will report back with our findings. My gut tells me it's gonna feel better than stock with some more pre-load added. But if it feels out of whack, which I doubt it will, then we will address that issue at the time.

Thanks

Jarrett