Should I purchase a bump stop for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pulp

Reaction score
Anyone purchase a bump stop to reduce sag while towing? Which setup/brand did you go with? How much did it cost for install and everything?

I will be towing close to 8,000 lbs with my gen two screw and was looking for ways to improve towing performance/ increase safety but not reduce off road unloaded performance. Any advice appreciated.

Note: Tried searching for this in forum but the search feature seems to be down.

Last edited:

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I have a RPG Stage 1 bumpstop and it includes a bumpstop extension to help with heavy loads/towing. Haven't used the extensions though.

What I did was go with Deaver +2 progressive leaf springs in the rear when I did the bump stop. Ride was much improved but I sat level with no load. Add a chase rack and 2 spares I dropped almost an inch. Attached my 7000lbs toybox and I dropped even further. It was almost on my bump stops without the extension with the load.

Offroad the ride was great but I was hitting the bumps too often with just my gear in the bed. Towing I hit the bumps on the road. This was not working out for me...

So I had Deaver re-arch my leaf springs to +3 and added a load leaf. Now I sit with a factory stance with my chase rack/gear and I sit level with my toybox. My first trip with this setup I did a 700+ mile trip and only felt the bumpstop over speed bumps. The Raptor feels so much better now and when empty the ride is still very nice.

While I would recommend the bump stop if you plan to use the Raptor off-road I would go with Deaver +3 and a load leaf considering the trailer weight. I keep my chase rack and spares in the bed all the time and the ride is smooth and far better than the wimpy springs we got from Ford.

Tow_zpszsulggo1.jpg

My weight in this pic was 15080lbs (7000 for trailer, 3540 on front axle, 4540 on rear axle) which is about 300lbs over max weight. Raptor handled great and you can see I was level.

JeffroMc

Reaction score
I don't have a raptor (yet) but I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension on my 2011 Platinum and have been very satisfied with it. Improved sag with towing, decreased wheel hop and reduced sway.

JtoU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the SVC Adjustable bump stop system.

Not sure if its for the Gen2 or its their Gen 2 design on their system.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/product-page/gen-two-adjustable-bump-system

RPG did a video on their system with a heavy load.

As far as i know it's gen 2 design but svc did post some time ago working progress pics of the Gen2 version. I have their bump stop kit and my opinion it's great system with ability to upgrade to bypass rack and use it for towing.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the SVC adj bumpstop system and absolutely love it. I carry a cordless impact and can adjust the cans down to tow haul mode in about five minutes. It really helps! Sometimes I have better luck doing a search on google then clicking the link to this forum.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I have the SVC adj bumpstop system and absolutely love it. I carry a cordless impact and can adjust the cans down to tow haul mode in about five minutes. It really helps! Sometimes I have better luck doing a search on google then clicking the link to this forum.

I've heard SVC can be a pain with the adjusting and I know the RPG bumpstop I have is a pain as you have to remove the bumpstop. SVC seems easier.

For me Deaver +3 and the load leaf eliminated the need to adjust them.

Regular towing at max weight would be better suited for a heavy duty leaf spring.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've heard SVC can be a pain with the adjusting and I know the RPG bumpstop I have is a pain as you have to remove the bumpstop. SVC seems easier.

For me Deaver +3 and the load leaf eliminated the need to adjust them.

Regular towing at max weight would be better suited for a heavy duty leaf spring.
I don't think adjustment could be any easier!! I can do both sides in five minutes with a cordless impact and a wrench. I have Deaver +3's and agree if I had to pick one over the other for tow/hauling I'd go with the springs

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think adjustment could be any easier!! I can do both sides in five minutes with a cordless impact and a wrench. I have Deaver +3's and agree if I had to pick one over the other for tow/hauling I'd go with the springs

Same here. Adjustable SVC bump stop and Deaver +3s. I have an 8,000 pound (GVW) toy hauler and other than mileage it's great. Also agreed, about 5 minutes to adjust the bumps with my impact and a wrench.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We will be releasing our new adjustable bump kit for the Gen 2 Raptor soon so keep your eyes out for that. We had great success with our current Gen 1 ABS (Adjustable Bump System), I don't see why the new truck will be any different.

Jarrett