Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 2]

RPG collars and negative effects during off roading

This is a discussion on RPG collars and negative effects during off roading within the Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modifications Forum [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Apologies of this has been covered already but I wanted to get everyone's collective wisdom on this. I've got the ...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default RPG collars and negative effects during off roading
Apologies of this has been covered already but I wanted to get everyone's collective wisdom on this.

I've got the 1 1/2" rpg collars installed on my 2017 and I'm running 37s with methods.

Just last week we went wheeling in Moab, nothing too crazy but I was in and out of 4H for .ost of the day. Towards the end of the day I started hearing a loud popping noise when in 4H while maneuvering over obstacles. Then a few days later I engaged 4H again and could hear the same popping noises while turning.

I'm thinking the collars may have my CVs at too extreme of an angle? Anyone experiencing similar issues ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

apeezie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Member

you're going to hear some of that while in 4H/L, nothing to worry about. plenty of guys run 1.5-3" perch and spring upgrades without issue. Check your boots because they are more likely to tear with a perch kit/spring upgrade.
Megabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Megabass View Post
you're going to hear some of that while in 4H/L, nothing to worry about. plenty of guys run 1.5-3" perch and spring upgrades without issue. Check your boots because they are more likely to tear with a perch kit/spring upgrade.
So what's the noise? Unrelated to the collars?
BajaFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

No lift collars here and I don’t get any of that noise and I was out in mud and sand mode most of the time.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dont Feed the Trolls

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Same setup minus the 37s. I have about 20K on my collars and some healthy stints off road. I havent had any popping. The collars shouldn't be detrimental to the CV angle at all.

Curious though, can you elaborate more on the noise? So its when your turning, but what part of the suspension travel was it in, full droop, max compression, etc.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
It's like a loud knock or thud when either in 4A or 4h/L. I've got 22k miles , 21k with collar installed, 17k with 37s. Essentially you hear the noise when the IWE engages.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Mostly when turning and accelerating hard or going over rocks and/or obstacles. Unsure sure about the suspension compression

Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Originally Posted by apeezie289 View Post
It's like a loud knock or thud when either in 4A or 4h/L. I've got 22k miles , 21k with collar installed, 17k with 37s. Essentially you hear the noise when the IWE engages.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Mostly when turning and accelerating hard or going over rocks and/or obstacles. Unsure sure about the suspension compression

This is normal when going over rocks or hardpack with good traction. Especially when turning... When you are in mud or sand it's easier for the drivetrain to slip without binding up

GONE - 2014 Roush Ruby Red SE SCrew

2017 Lightning Blue SCrew
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
This is normal when going over rocks or hardpack with good traction. Especially when turning... When you are in mud or sand it's easier for the drivetrain to slip without binding up
I hear what you're saying and it makes sense but the thing is I haven't heard this noise until now. Anyway as always thanks again guys appreciate the feedback !

Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by apeezie289 View Post
I hear what you're saying and it makes sense but the thing is I haven't heard this noise until now. Anyway as always thanks again guys appreciate the feedback !

My truck made the same noise while performing a tight u turn on the street while raining. I was in weather mode (4a) and my truck is 100% stock. The manual covers this as well
Megabass is offline   Reply With Quote