Roller on top of Gen 2 Leaf Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know the purpose of the roller on top of the Gen 2 leaf springs shown in the middle of the first picture below? I noticed it yesterday after I was comparing my Gen 1 leaf spring stack with my Gen 2 leaf spring stack.

I was comparing them because my Gen 2 sags WAY more than my Gen 1 under a moderate load. The attached picture shows my truck squatting a full 2.75" inches in the rear with a similar load I have carried in my Gen 1 SuperCab without noticeable sag. My trailer was swaying back and forth while driving 70-80 on the freeway. My Gen 1 shorty *never* swayed with the same trailer at speeds of 90+ MPH on the long roads in Texas.

Will a set of SuperSprings on top of the leaf stack help the sag or do I need to go with a custom Deaver setup? In the last two pictures, my front is at 6 7/8" clearance and the rear is at 6"3/8" clearance. Under no load, the back is 2.25" higher.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpg
    IMG_2993.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No one knows what the roller on top of our leaf springs is for?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Holds the stack together while allowing for movement form the spring.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holds the stack together while allowing for movement form the spring.

OK, thanks. I was considering removing it to put a SuperSpring Helper on top of my leafs, but I might just opt for the HD Deavers +2s.

bMwdefector

Reaction score
I am interested in the direction you choose and the results. I am in a similar situation and always prefer first-hand accounts.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting on the Full Race IC for my build, so I have not installed anything yet. I ordered the Geiser Springs, the standard Deaver +3s and 37" Toyo RTs with Fuel Trophy wheels. When I tow, I will add the Roadmaster Active Suspension on top of my Deaver leafs. This will give me the best ride on/off road, with a great solution for towing when I need it.

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/2010-2016-ford-raptor/

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension setup on my Gen2, and you have to remove that roller as part of the install.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension setup on my Gen2, and you have to remove that roller as part of the install.

I swapped my factory leafs for Deaver +3s, so I no longer have the rollers on my truck. However, this is excellent information for those still running factory rear suspension. :smile:

Jsousa03

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I was considering removing it to put a SuperSpring Helper on top of my leafs, but I might just opt for the HD Deavers +2s.

I would probably go with the Deaver +3's or even the +3 HD. I carry a constant load of 300-400 lbs and had major sag issues and went with Deaver +2 HD and it only raised it a 1/2 inch from stock springs. Going to go up to a Deaver +3 HD to get it back to stock height with constant load so that I am not always in the bump zone of the fox shocks. Hoping to get this truck driving nice again.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to figure out the part number for the roller and bolt that goes through the roller and holds it on? I need to order some extras of that bolt, but all the diagrams I see online for ordering suspension parts for the 2018 Raptor don't show that roller.