Remote Rez Fox Shocks reviews?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... Gonna try to dial them in at silver lake sand dunes

I'd love to see them in action. I've been out to Silver Lake Sand Dunes 4 times this year and probably will at least once or twice more. Shoot me a message next time you're headed out. I'd love to see them.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a set going on shortly. I will post a review with feedback and my tuning in a separate thread.

Was not all that impressed with the stockers offroad. Almost seems like they're valved for an overly soft ride that will cater to street raptor drivers that want that plusher Cadillac ride for their work commutes or whatever... This wasn't so much the case with the G1 stockers IMO.

This contradicts what I've seen and experienced; complete opposite in fact. Can you expound more?

Also, didn't you say that you thought Sport mode 4A locked was better than Baja mode? Do you still stick to that claim? Because I'm very skeptical from my runs, and hope to get some timed laps eventually to put that topic to rest.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This contradicts what I've seen and experienced; complete opposite in fact. Can you expound more?

Also, didn't you say that you thought Sport mode 4A locked was better than Baja mode? Do you still stick to that claim? Because I'm very skeptical from my runs, and hope to get some timed laps eventually to put that topic to rest.

What type of terrain are you running your truck on?

If it's this.... http://youtu.be/VDFgR5cCFVc , then we are not comparing apples to apples in the least bit.

Did you have a gen 1 previously?

As far as my feedback on my claim, I'll share some insight to how I use my truck. You mentioned timed laps. I don't time my laps or try to race anyone. We have some of the best open desert at our disposal out here. Sandy washes, whooped out sections, holes way too big for raptors, real race coarse sections, fire roads, and everything in between.

The valving on the gen 2 shocks is undeniably softer. They ride really great on the road because of that and perhaps better on graded lapped courses you may have run in Texas. However, that soft valving can really upset the trucks suspension when encountering a washout or holes too large for these trucks. Some revalving could do wonders depending on what terrain suits you best.

Regarding my experience with baja mode, I've found a loss in power on multiple occasions. I've had the pedal to the floor for maybe 3 seconds before any power gets transferred to the wheels. Didn't find that to be the case in sport mode. My preference in the gen 1 was manual shifting. I prefer driving the truck myself with out driving nannies telling me how it should respond.

Again, it's all relative depending on how and what you're using the truck for. What might work for some may not work for others. This is my input solely for my driving preferences. That is why I created the thread you referenced. Share your experience for what works best for you. It's not intended to put a topic to rest as you stated. This isn't a one size fits all type of thing.

Stickman89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some tuning last weekend. A lot better than the first trip. I’m no shock expert but I did manage to see a huge improvement.

One thing I can say is passenger side parking brake cable rubs under full compression. I bent the bracket down on the axles and am clearing now.

815a22618ba73d05404929e2b18fea06.jpg

4abcf18b82d4965e641da93b1c6d874d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What type of terrain are you running your truck on?

If it's this.... http://youtu.be/VDFgR5cCFVc , then we are not comparing apples to apples in the least bit.

Did you have a gen 1 previously?

As far as my feedback on my claim, I'll share some insight to how I use my truck. You mentioned timed laps. I don't time my laps or try to race anyone. We have some of the best open desert at our disposal out here. Sandy washes, whooped out sections, holes way too big for raptors, real race coarse sections, fire roads, and everything in between.

The valving on the gen 2 shocks is undeniably softer. They ride really great on the road because of that and perhaps better on graded lapped courses you may have run in Texas. However, that soft valving can really upset the trucks suspension when encountering a washout or holes too large for these trucks. Some revalving could do wonders depending on what terrain suits you best.

Regarding my experience with baja mode, I've found a loss in power on multiple occasions. I've had the pedal to the floor for maybe 3 seconds before any power gets transferred to the wheels. Didn't find that to be the case in sport mode. My preference in the gen 1 was manual shifting. I prefer driving the truck myself with out driving nannies telling me how it should respond.

Again, it's all relative depending on how and what you're using the truck for. What might work for some may not work for others. This is my input solely for my driving preferences. That is why I created the thread you referenced. Share your experience for what works best for you. It's not intended to put a topic to rest as you stated. This isn't a one size fits all type of thing.

I didn't get to run at Gause this year, but that one and others here are certainly not graded....the Texana ranch is actually a 40 mile baja style track the owner of the ranch uses to practice for races. It has the full gamut of threats, enough to break built trucks pretty quickly (seen shattered driveshafts, destroyed skid plates, you name it).

I never was fortunate enough to own a Gen 1, so I can't compare. What I can do is solicit feedback from those who have driven both trucks (including yours). So I'm not discounting your impressions, but everyone else I've talked to (some with extensive off-road time in both trucks) claim the opposite, so I'm really curious as to why our experiences differ. I did hit a bit whoop section at Texana that was a bit jolting, but I wasn't expecting it and therefore my throttle input was bad. I got up to 45 through it, and noticed the faster I went the more it smoothed out. I didn't see a stock Gen 1s manage more than about 30 through it directly, and the max speed I saw anyone do was about 60 from a friend's built Gen 1.

I sort of understand what you're trying to say with the mode selections. But, it is important to understand that the mode selection does a whole lot of calibration behind the scenes. Ford introduced driving modes because they found practically nobody could set up the first gen truck correctly, because it was a mess. So selecting a mode, say Baja, adjusts traction control, braking bias, throttle response, shifting patterns, steering effort, and of course drivetrain configuration. When you choose Sport over Baja for off-road, you sacrifice at the very least your braking ability (braking distance is improved by around 30-50% in the off-road modes) as well as numerous other things.

I suspect what happened was you floored the truck in Baja mode and it cut power because of traction control trying to get you the maximum amount of grip for acceleration, because I've had that happen twice at in a spot I've run. People running sand dunes have said that a Traction Control button press is helpful to get rid of that behavior if you notice it. At TRR I found it wasn't necessary as it didn't interfere there for me. I'm telling you all of this because if you choose sport mode "all off" (and it isn't fully off) it will still think you are on road, and it won't be as safe, and I highly doubt as fast. Since Baja mode is pretty much a carbon copy of sport mode (except calibrated for off-road conditions) you really do your self a disservice not using it. I recall you mentioned you liked your back end loose - with Baja 4H locked rear I have been able to throttle steer as much as I like*.

* Ok, one exception. I was at an ATV park with turns way too sharp for our truck. I had to go Baja 2H to swing it around in those cases, and even then sometimes had to come to a complete stop.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pumped to see more people acquiring these to work out the kinks and find our desired settings. :favorites13: Cheers to yall, esp to those who did it back in '10-11 and are taking it for the team again.

I would like to add my $.02 regarding the factory shocks and capability having owned both Gens, and in the minority of ppl who stayed on stock 2.5s over all the years. I found my '17 to perform quite awesome out west in the cali, nevada, utah terrian his spring. This was with just 3" collars and bumps too. To compare, I had a lot of seat time in my '12, which also was setup similarly... mid perch (mid + geisers later) +3s and bumps on stock 2.5 fox's. It is really no comparison how much better the new platform performs across the board. One could say i wasn't driving it hard enough, but i usually push the truck to some limits at all the runs i go on, but comparing just my 2 trucks its a no brainer the 17 is plenty more capable.

Tizz has more time in the desert than a lot of people here, so would not discredit any of his comments. That said, a lot of the gen1 veterans also ran 3.0s on their trucks and might be comparing unlike apples having not run stock setups more recently to relate