Possible Rear-end Manufacturing Defect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread as the implications may have grown. My original post is here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/rear-axle-shifted-54783/

Long-story-short, my rear end is a verified 3/4 to an inch to the passenger side. I took the truck to the dealer that I took my ST too, not where I bought the truck. Good shop. First they told me the bed had shifted and they would warranty the fix and re-bedlining. OK, cool. Go and check on the truck and literally made no difference. The associate agreed with me and sent the truck to the body shop. Spoke with him today, and by all metrics, the bed is perfect and the axle is off, and to reiterate, noticeably. Once you see it, you can't un-see it.

Also, while in the shop, they noticed the leaf is clipping the bump can on the driver's side. Totally rolled the edge. Not good.

The thing is, they have two new SCrews on the floor, and they checked them. Same exact issue: axles about 3/4" to the passenger side, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. The service guys don't know what's up so they sent an inquiry to Ford Technical Support, though they agreed something is defnately wrong. I'm waiting to hear back. My truck was built early March, their inventory trucks were built a few weeks later.

Alex

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread as the implications may have grown. My original post is here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/rear-axle-shifted-54783/

Long-story-short, my rear end is a verified 3/4 to an inch to the passenger side. I took the truck to the dealer that I took my ST too, not where I bought the truck. Good shop. First they told me the bed had shifted and they would warranty the fix and re-bedlining. OK, cool. Go and check on the truck and literally made no difference. The associate agreed with me and sent the truck to the body shop. Spoke with him today, and by all metrics, the bed is perfect and the axle is off, and to reiterate, noticeably. Once you see it, you can't un-see it.

Also, while in the shop, they noticed the leaf is clipping the bump can on the driver's side. Totally rolled the edge. Not good.

The thing is, they have two new SCrews on the floor, and they checked them. Same exact issue: axles about 3/4" to the passenger side, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. The service guys don't know what's up so they sent an inquiry to Ford Technical Support, though they agreed something is defnately wrong. I'm waiting to hear back. My truck was built early March, their inventory trucks were built a few weeks later.

Alex

Yikes. This doesn't sound good. What's the simplest way to check this? It sounds like you're saying just a casual visual inspection will confirm that it's off, but how exactly are you taking measurements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MagnetMan14

Reaction score
A good level with tape or yardstick, sidewall of tire to the frame, or to bed which will give you a good idea. Anything measured to a rubber balloon is not an exact measurement, I know, but the shop did something similar and some frame/axle measuring and got the same result.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good level with tape or yardstick, sidewall of tire to the frame, or to bed which will give you a good idea. Anything measured to a rubber balloon is not an exact measurement, I know, but the shop did something similar and some frame/axle measuring and got the same result.

Got it. Thanks. I'll try that method tomorrow and see what I find.

ASR

Reaction score
Interesting. Just climbed under to take a look. My truck was built in March also. No issues upon inspection. Also, the rubber bump stop clears the side of the leaf springs as designed.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I checked mine today and it measures the same on both sides. I used a level as suggested, came up plumb from the outer wall of the tire, and measured from the fender flare to the level.

MrMaGnEtIc

Reaction score
Just looked at mine and It is showing the same as the OP. I did not measure but it is definitely shifted over to the passenger side and like you said it's noticible in the side mirrors as well as just looking down the side of the truck from the back. Build date of 5-1-17.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

On another note it looks like this has. Even addressed in the past describing the same symptoms on regular F-150's. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/rear-axle-shifted-343325/

I don't think it's worth getting too worked up about but I do understand some or more ****/OCD then the next and too each their own. If it was affecting drive ability or posing some sort of noticeable wear on components then I would definitely be concerned. Let us know though if your dealer corrects the problem and the remedy to accomplish it. Good luck and keep us posted!!