GEN 2 Not rear diff lock on 2H gen 2 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was eliminated because there were too many rear differentials being replaced due to abuse. ie- truck owners abusing the option and locking the rear in traction rich environments (pavement)
this was the answer given by a factory rep back around October last year. It was one of my favorite things on my Gen1, used it alot, and no, I never blew a diff.

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

The Gen 2 won't allow it because the torque will cause premature failure of diff.

um. not accurate

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It was eliminated because there were too many rear differentials being replaced due to abuse. ie- truck owners abusing the option and locking the rear in traction rich environments (pavement)
this was the answer given by a factory rep back around October last year. It was one of my favorite things on my Gen1, used it alot, and no, I never blew a diff.

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

um. not accurate

So it was eliminated because too many rear diffs were being replaced from the previous model abuse but JD480 is “um not accurate” for saying “torque will cause premature failure of diff”

I heard --exactly-- the same thing JD480 posted at FPRS.
Do you know otherwise?

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will recant that one. My apologies JD480. They were looking for a reasonable statement to release at the time. We all know there has been a lot more torque thrown at these diffs and they survived just fine. What they won't survive is locking them on the pavement and beating on it. Agreed?

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna be honest and say most raptor owners won't use the truck as designed. however i think ford should have given us a special sequence to lock in 2h. that way only the educated about the truck could do the sequence and lock up off road for real fun.

i don't really believe the statement that the rear end can't handle the torque. but i am sure locking up on pavement or other high traction areas will break it. it seams like we were all punished for a few ppls mistakes / ignorance.

OP
OP
C

canamds450

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I undertand the rear will lock on any of the offroad mode, is there any way to enable the diff lock on 2H with a custom tunning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it was eliminated because too many rear diffs were being replaced from the previous model abuse but JD480 is “um not accurate” for saying “torque will cause premature failure of diff”

I heard --exactly-- the same thing JD480 posted at FPRS.
Do you know otherwise?
It's not because there's too much torque. It's because people are morons and are using it in the wrong situations.

They removed the option so they don't have to pay for the mistakes of morons.

The too much torque is just a line to explain it to those said morons.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Use 4A to lock, this is not a real issue.

Yeah, apparently is is. Or it’s just something you use to rationalize not buying the new truck, that you weren’t going to buy anyway and it helps validate that you won’t.

If there were 100 things wrong with the truck that I would have Ford change, this would probably be 101, but.... to be fair, that is only my priority set and that only works for me. I’m sure someone has a good use for the locker in 2h and absolutely more power to them.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this on our Facebook group a couple months ago. This was the first module that he made that was installed in a Gen2 so I had to find the right wire. The module replicates the PWM signal so it won’t fry your ELD coil. It works perfect!

In my opinion, much like others here, is that they disabled it in 2wd for the morons that want to do Smokey burnouts on the pavement. I’ve run it on in 2wd for a couple days at the sand dunes and can not imagine hurting the rear diff in low traction environments like that. Oh, and it’s a blast!