Metallic front end rattle issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a metallic sounding rattle coming from the front drivers side of the truck. It happens when the suspension cycles quickly over small bumps and its progressively getting louder and worse. I ruled out the sway bar end links by disconnecting the sway bar, the brakes seem nice and tight, there isnt any grinding or issues when the front tires are in the air and the tires are rotated, and the only place I can find any metallic rattle noise is when I hit the front axle with a rubber mallet. Any ideas?

Here is a quick video, listen for the metallic rattle. WIND NOISE WARNING

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hate to even hazard a guess because even with the video it would be a completely uneducated guess.

I watched several times, but I’m not able to pick anything out. I hear the rattle, from about 9 seconds in to the end.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is your Axel spinning? If your in 2wd it should be stationary. I'm guessing you blew a iwe or a vacuum line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is your Axel spinning? If your in 2wd it should be stationary. I'm guessing you blew a iwe or a vacuum line

I always thought your front axles will always spin no matter what youre in and all the 4hi/4lo magic happens inside the transfer case when things engage/disengage...

Hopefully I can get it to the dealer this week for them to see what they can do, I just like to start narrowing shit down before I take it in so they dont waste time.

edit: My assumptions on the IWE system were wrong, thanks Huck. I come from the AWD or solid front axle world so the whole IWE system is new to me.

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your incorrect. the hubs unlock at the wheels and the transfer case disengages. That's the whole point of the IWE system.
With everything disengaged and not rotating is how ford gets the mpg.
When in 2 we my axels are stationary. Same on my '12 and my dads '10.

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your incorrect. the hubs unlock at the wheels and the transfer case disengages. That's the whole point of the IWE system.
With everything disengaged and not rotating is how ford gets the mpg.
When in 2 we my axels are stationary. Same on my '12 and my dads '10.

Learn something new everyday. Looks as though my IWE system is ******. Jacked up the front end and both axles were moving when I spun the tires by hand when the truck was on. Put the truck into 4hi, went forward, backwards, put the truck back into 2HI and the axles stopped moving so the IWE system disengaged finally. Who knows how long Ive been running around like this. Drove around a bit and had the wife drive will I walked by the truck and watched the axles and they were slowly moving so it seems the system is slightly engaged still. My guess the metallic rattle is the IWE/Hub falling apart inside. If you watch the video you can see a ring of grease/oil right where the axle goes into the hub/IWE too.

Could the front diff get messed up from running around with the IWE engaged for who knows how long without the truck actually being in 2HI? Thats what Im worried about now.

Looking at other posts on FB it could be a faulty check valve.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
hmm... interesting. Might be worth picking up a spare

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to take mine in as I loose vacuum under WOT and the engine chokes and the hubs try to engage.

There should be no damage in 2 with the axels spinning. Just added wear and tear as the transfer case is still disengaged