Loose at high speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run my 2018 SCrew up to ~130 with solid handling. The tires aren't rated for speeds that high though and make lots of noise as the tread starts to wrinkle up. I don't recommend it... If your air pressure is too low the BFGs will also feel real squirrelly at higher speeds as well.

ehh I thought there was a speed governor at 109 mph?

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's Raptor is like that. Kind of unattached to the road. Mine is fine...Stays glued down. She's running M/S tires and I'm running A/T's. I've had mine to 140 (which is WAY to fast for any truck tires) and it still feels solid. Hers is scary over 80....Fortunately she would never drive it that fast.

Also, as they are getting more wear, it seems to be getting worse. Have had them rebalanced with no difference. I'm going to get new tires on it and I'll know for sure is that solves the problem.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
My toe was out after perch collar install. Once I had the toe aligned it was solid...not as solid as before but much much better at 80mph than before the alignment.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The factory shocks are super soft on the gen 2 and spring rates are light making them kinda floaty on the highway. The shorter super cab are not the greatest at high speeds on the highway. better rear springs help big time. Sounds like the alignment could be slighty off (toe). Probly worth double checking.

blademan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is just 2 mos old and I hit 100 mph for the first time yesterday. Yup, it was scary. It was like being on a flying carpet !!
I know this is a super old thread but just experienced this in my 2019 used which I have owned for 3k miles. Noticed it before but thought maybe it was the road.. I am.still researching it odd feeling. Hard to explain

blademan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure?
Ty for response. Last I looked all 37inch tires were around 34 to 36... I have not reviewed pressure on the tires to check but will...

I bought it in july 2021 and it's my weekend vehicle so have only put 3k miles .. when I test drove it never really pushed the speed. ... even when I step.on it no.issues. so maybe the tire pressure HAS LOWERED past few months and that would b awesome. ... it's definitely a odd feeling. First it makes u think it steering but it's not and only happen above 70mph. Like a odd wobble that regains it self. .. very odd. I drove a out 9 other raptors before I bought mine and mine was best driving one though it had a ton of mods.. I will check pressure. Ty

blademan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility, although remote, is loose lug nuts. They do loosen occasionally. Especially on aluminum wheels.
YOU ARE THE MAN AND I AM A DUMMY. LOL. I figure 36 to 37psi was good.for any tire .. i was dead wrong and u were right. I filled all 4 tires to 52 max was 63. Took it 85 and mover around a little no weird odd feeling. Very stable like when I first got the truck. .. it was the tire.pressure 100% ty