Installed RPG Offroad Collar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.5” Front Collar (RPG, etc.) Install the Easy Way

There are so many collar install threads and I did not want to start another, so here goes.....

I installed the RPG 1.5" collars, but this method will work with any 2-piece collar install. From what I experienced, it MAY work with the 2.25” collars.

When I got ready to the do the install, I searched the forum for a few hours and combined ideas from several different threads and You-Tube videos. My goal was to do the install without removing the shock, with only basic hand tools, in my garage with no lift, and without disconnecting any more of the suspension than was needed……mission accomplished.

Here are the basic steps and some pictures…..note that if you hover over the pictures they are labled as 1 through 6.

1. Obtain spring compressors like those in the pictures below. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts. Paid $65 which you get back when returned. Mine came with safety pins designed to keep the spring compressor from slipping off the coils, but they had to be removed to fit the size of our spring coils.

[*]Break loose the lug nuts on front wheel you are doing first.

[*]Lift and support one side of the truck with jack stands. You only have to get the front tire barely off the ground for this work which makes getting the tire on and off the truck a lot easier.

[*]Place jack under A-arm as shown in Pic 1. Jack up until the frame of the truck barely (1/4”) comes off the jack stands.

[*]Remove the nut as shown in Pic 2. This will allow the A-arm to drop further than normal to make getting room for the collar easier. This is the ONLY suspension part that has to be disconnected.

[*]Take one of the spring compressors and take it apart. Take top piece and place it on the spring coil as shown in Pic 3. Using one hand to hold the top piece (Pic 4), use other hand to thread the bottom part of the spring compressor into the top part. As you tighten the spring compressor by hand, make sure that the top part is the “corner” and will not hit the bolt circled in Pic 3. This will ensure you have room to compress the spring, but more importantly prevent the spring compressor from binding against the bolt when you go to remove the spring compressor. When you are done it will look like Pic 5.

[*]Now install the other spring compressor on the opposite side of the spring. When done installing both spring compressors, it will look like Pic 6. With the jack still under the A-arm from step 4, tighten both spring compressors. Notice the front spring compressor has 3 coils between the top and bottom clamps, and the rear spring compressor has only 2 coils between the top and bottom. That worked just fine.

[*]Now the rest of the install is pretty straight-forward so no more pictures. Once you think you have spring compressed enough, then tie off the spring up through the engine bay to something rather strong and make sure you don’t put pressure on any hoses, wires, etc. This is to hold the spring up when we let the jack down.

[*]Now slowly let the jack down so the truck is on the jack stands and nothing is holding the A-arm up. You can also pull down on the A-arm to see if you have enough clearance to install the collar. Pulling down gave me another ½” to an 1” of clearance.

[*]I noticed that no matter how well I tied up the spring to the engine compartment, it will came down about an inch and I needed that inch to get the collar on. If that happens, either tie up the spring better than I did or insert a crow bar (or similar metal bar) between the upper control arm and one of the spring coils. With just a little pressure, you can lift the spring up. To not damage the powder coating on the spring, wrap a rag around the crow bar. This part is easier with two people.

[*]Once you are sure you have enough net clearance to install the collar, then use a “soft” wood stick and a hammer to raise the bottom spring perch. Use soft wood (pine vs. oak) so that the wood is damaged and not the perch. I wrapped a rag around the end of the piece of wood to help prevent any scratches. As others have noted, it may take a lot of persuasion to raise the perch. I slowly went around the perch and only used a regular hammer that was about 1lb. Took a while and the hardest part of me.

[*]Once collar is installed, place jack back under A-arm and lift up the truck again until barely off jack stand.

[*]Install and torque nut that was removed in step 5, remove spring compressors, remove jack from under a-arm, install tire, lower truck, torque lug nuts.
Hope this helps a bit…..

Attachments

• Install 1.jpg
    Install 1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Install 2.jpg
    Install 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Install 3.jpg
    Install 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Install 4.jpg
    Install 4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Install 5.jpg
    Install 5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Install 6.jpg
    Install 6.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 181

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are so many collar install threads and I did not want to start another, so here goes.....

I installed the RPG 1.5" collars, but this method will work with any 2-piece collar install. From what I experienced, it MAY work with the 2.25” collars.

When I got ready to the do the install, I searched the forum for a few hours and combined ideas from several different threads and You-Tube videos. My goal was to do the install without removing the shock, with only basic hand tools, in my garage with no lift, and without disconnecting any more of the suspension than was needed……mission accomplished.

Here are the basic steps and some pictures…..note that if you hover over the pictures they are labled as 1 through 6.

1. Obtain spring compressors like those in the pictures below. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts. Paid $65 which you get back when returned. Mine came with safety pins designed to keep the spring compressor from slipping off the coils, but they had to be removed to fit the size of our spring coils.

[*]Break loose the lug nuts on front wheel you are doing first.

[*]Lift and support one side of the truck with jack stands. You only have to get the front tire barely off the ground for this work which makes getting the tire on and off the truck a lot easier.

[*]Place jack under A-arm as shown in Pic 1. Jack up until the frame of the truck barely (1/4”) comes off the jack stands.

[*]Remove the nut as shown in Pic 2. This will allow the A-arm to drop further than normal to make getting room for the collar easier. This is the ONLY suspension part that has to be disconnected.

[*]Take one of the spring compressors and take it apart. Take top piece and place it on the spring coil as shown in Pic 3. Using one hand to hold the top piece (Pic 4), use other hand to thread the bottom part of the spring compressor into the top part. As you tighten the spring compressor by hand, make sure that the top part is the “corner” and will not hit the bolt circled in Pic 3. This will ensure you have room to compress the spring, but more importantly prevent the spring compressor from binding against the bolt when you go to remove the spring compressor. When you are done it will look like Pic 5.

[*]Now install the other spring compressor on the opposite side of the spring. When done installing both spring compressors, it will look like Pic 6. With the jack still under the A-arm from step 4, tighten both spring compressors. Notice the front spring compressor has 3 coils between the top and bottom clamps, and the rear spring compressor has only 2 coils between the top and bottom. That worked just fine.

[*]Now the rest of the install is pretty straight-forward so no more pictures. Once you think you have spring compressed enough, then tie off the spring up through the engine bay to something rather strong and make sure you don’t put pressure on any hoses, wires, etc. This is to hold the spring up when we let the jack down.

[*]Now slowly let the jack down so the truck is on the jack stands and nothing is holding the A-arm up. You can also pull down on the A-arm to see if you have enough clearance to install the collar. Pulling down gave me another ½” to an 1” of clearance.

[*]I noticed that no matter how well I tied up the spring to the engine compartment, it will came down about an inch and I needed that inch to get the collar on. If that happens, either tie up the spring better than I did or insert a crow bar (or similar metal bar) between the upper control arm and one of the spring coils. With just a little pressure, you can lift the spring up. To not damage the powder coating on the spring, wrap a rag around the crow bar. This part is easier with two people.

[*]Once you are sure you have enough net clearance to install the collar, then use a “soft” wood stick and a hammer to raise the bottom spring perch. Use soft wood (pine vs. oak) so that the wood is damaged and not the perch. I wrapped a rag around the end of the piece of wood to help prevent any scratches. As others have noted, it may take a lot of persuasion to raise the perch. I slowly went around the perch and only used a regular hammer that was about 1lb. Took a while and the hardest part of me.

[*]Once collar is installed, place jack back under A-arm and lift up the truck again until barely off jack stand.

[*]Install and torque nut that was removed in step 5, remove spring compressors, remove jack from under a-arm, install tire, lower truck, torque lug nuts.

Hope this helps a bit…..

Very clear and straight forward. [emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGVRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of 1.5" collars installed with the stock beadlock style wheels?

I purchased a set direct from RPG and am a little hesitant on install as I feel it may look strange unless I go with bigger wheel/tire setup.

Thanks!

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pics of 1.5" collars installed with the stock beadlock style wheels?

I purchased a set direct from RPG and am a little hesitant on install as I feel it may look strange unless I go with bigger wheel/tire setup.

Thanks!

Post # 122 of this thread. Looks great.

6336fcbe755919573c303895a5071fb0.jpg