GEN 2 Installed KING 3.0's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After careful consideration with what aftermarket shock package I wanted to run on my Gen 2, I decided KING was the way to go.

I've run different variations of Fox's in the past for years now, however, one thing that always bothered me is that they were never a true 3.0 shock (Front Coilovers) as they use sleeves inside the body of the shock to utilize their Internal Bypass. When I found out KING had developed their own Internal Bypass and kept consistant with it being a true 3.0, it was a no brainer.

The pedigree and race heritage that KING has is undeniable and even the shocks built for non race vehicles still maintain the essence and parts of true race shocks. Plain and simple, they build some badass shocks across the board.

I've just recently installed these shocks and as of this post, I only have some road miles on them this far. They ride as smooth as stock on the road which is surprising because they're really intended to excel in the dirt. In the past, we've found that you sacrifice diminished street ride quality for improved ride quality offroad. Not the case this time around so I can't wait to get these things out in the desert.

The purpose of this thread will really be about documenting my experience offroad with them and how I go about setting them up for optimum performance. I'm really excited to see what increased capabilities these shocks have in store for our trucks. I will be continually updating this thread as I get some real seat time with this setup.

In the meantime, here's some pics of them installed and it goes without saying, they look fast just sitting still. I've also included some specs on this package.

5f60d0ba123f1a409947f098dc976da8.jpg

dcf944f9b9ae679e6113011798f97f16.jpg

81a198a29bf0de6d91a0db5b4669e156.jpg

7d0521e72e6d815bcede7d665c81e01d.jpg

2017+ Ford Raptor
King Shocks 3.0 IBP Performance Series Kit
100% bolt on
Large 3.0” OD shock bodies
A true, full diameter piston and valve stack for maximum damping control
Fully able to rebuild, service, or tune
Finned Reservoir
Factory tuned for optimal ride quality
Material quality and tolerances to match our top race shocks.

Front

Large 3.0 mono-tube shock body
Patented “Internal Bypass” (IBP) technology
Compression adjuster
Reduces shock cavitation
30 clicks of compression adjustment
1” diameter shaft
3.5” OD finned reservoir
1 piece extrusion- not a sleeve
New hose attachment allows easy hose clocking
100 % bolt on

Rear
Large 3.0 mono-tube shock body
Proven external bypass design
4 Bypass tubes
Position sensitive damping
Separate compression and rebound external adjustments
1” diameter shaft
2.95” OD finned reservoir
1 piece extrusion- not a sleeve
100 % bolt on

D

Deleted member 12951

In the past I heard that Kings are noisy with a clicking sound when they are working. Do you hear this with the GEN2 shocks? Or is that just the characteristics of all KING shocks?

In the rear are you using stock mounting or did you relocate the shock mount on the driver side to place the shock in the same direction of a GEN1 or normal race vehicle?

Are both front and rear adjustable and if so, let us know what you ended up dialing them in at.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting how your front resi's are angled up, that's some new wave shit.

Or did you tilt them up to max out the bumpers angle (they were too exposed?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting how your front resi's are angled up, that's some new wave shit.

Or did you tilt them up to max out the bumpers angle (they were too exposed?).

Yeah we did some wind tunnel testing and the down force from angling them up made the truck significantly more aerodynamic.

But really, they were too exposed if we laid them flat. They fit perfect and come with some bitchen billet mounts for the non frame cut guys but I wasn't able to go that route given the new bumper.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, the wind tunnel.. hahha

Second question: if you're motor goes, and you need to be towed from the front for a hundred miles back to pavement, where will you attach your tow straps? I ask because I too installed a Frame cut bumper and have this dilemma.

I was thinking the LCA,

OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past I heard that Kings are noisy with a clicking sound when they are working. Do you hear this with the GEN2 shocks? Or is that just the characteristics of all KING shocks?

In the rear are you using stock mounting or did you relocate the shock mount on the driver side to place the shock in the same direction of a GEN1 or normal race vehicle?

Are both front and rear adjustable and if so, let us know what you ended up dialing them in at.

Not hearing any clicking noise under normal driving conditions. Kept the existing shock mounts intact. Yes, they're both adjustable. I haven't started tuning them yet. I'll wait for that when I can get to the desert.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Ahh, the wind tunnel.. hahha

Second question: if you're motor goes, and you need to be towed from the front for a hundred miles back to pavement, where will you attach your tow straps? I ask because I too installed a Frame cut bumper and have this dilemma.

I was thinking the LCA,

Good question. I'd probably pull the skid off if need be and run a strap around the frame horn part of the bumper.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
funny... thought you were gonna go with these...
TimbrenSESkit.jpg

Forgiven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my main concern is that i have heard from someone else that installed the KINGS coil overs that the ride is much more stiff up front compared to stock. Do you notice that? Im pulling the trigger today and still don’t know which way to go. I drive exclusively on unmaintained country roads going 65mph with potholes and the whole 9 yards. I don’t want the KINGS if every bump is going to be translated into shaking in their cab because of the increased “stiffness” hope this makes sense? Any insight into this?