Gen 2 rear is TOO lightly sprung! needs airbags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
You guys have way too much time on your hands for bs...

The best way to explain what people don't understand is yes, the numbers support your goals and you should be able to do what you want with the Raptor. The reality is the Raptor is not the best vehicle in the range that fits your needs. Will it work? Sure! But buying a vehicle that is engineered for soft suspension to absorb impact is the opposite to what you need while towing.

The best comparison I can think of is with the 911. If you want a car to vacation with the wife would a GT3RS work? Sure! It is fun to drive, fits two people, has room for bags and looks badass. Is it the best vehicle offered to do the job? Definitely not... Would you be happier with another model in the range? Yes.

To each his/her own.

You could easily get a GT3RS and swap out the suspension with something more compliant and comfortable but you are missing the whole point of the vehicle. This is why you are getting push back. Face it, you would be much better off with a regular F150 that is rated for 10k lbs then add some fender flares than a Raptor with airbags. If a system even exists yet...

*Don't buy the set for the regular F150, been there done that myself*

You can mod anything to achieve what you want, and by all means its only money. I don't see why all the nerds here care so much that they turn to children but it is an open form.

You are in it now and need to weigh your options. I would honestly go the bump stop route before airbags. Just get two different length bumps. This will keep the spring rates low for day to day driving and give you the stiffer rates when towing. It does require jacking the back up but a hi-lift in the hitch would be all you need. The wheels don't need to be off the ground, just some extra clearance to swap the bumps.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a good question on the thread..

"Geez, what kind of trailer has an 850lb tongue weight with only 200lbs inside?"

That doesn't make sense to me .. can the OP answer it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my 16' enclosed trailer to the MX races this weekend and the first thing I noticed when I grabbed it from the backyard was my receiver my 12 raptor had way too much drop and the second thing was just how much rear end sag I was getting with it. With my 12 Raptor the trailer made the rear drop probably a 1/4 of inch and it pulled it effortlessly and straight as an arrow down the highway at 80mph. My 17 has 3" of sag and while it pulled it effortlessly I had some swaying from time to time that I didn't really care for. Same trailer with actually less stuff in it for this race because the track is 25mins from my house so I took half of amount of water in my water tank. My trailer is balanced fairly well. I do have a Honda 3000 watt generator mounted on the tongue. I've got very lightweight cabinets (with riding gear only in them) in the front of the trailer and 2 the bikes are 3.5' from the front. I've got a toolbox and 2 easy ups on the back by the doors and water tanks are over the axles. I pulled this trailer with 4 bikes and a Zuma with 90 gals of water to races for the last 4 yrs with my Gen 1 with zero rear sag. Last weekend I only had 2 bikes and 45 gals of water and she was sagging 3". I'm kinda bummed and will be addressing it this wk and before this weekends race. I'm getting mixed ideas on just what to do. My Fox MX guy who's been building lifted trucks and towing them to SEMA every yr says he's done both air bags and has tried the weight distribution thing that goes on the tongue and he says that air bags are the way to and to stay away from the weight distribution systems. He puts air bags in every truck and won't tow without them. I pulled a 32' enclosed all aluminum trailer home from a trailer place for buddy who had just bought it last yr with zero sag. The Gen 2's are sprung way way softer than the Gen 1's are.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
If there is a kit made specifically for the 2nd gen raptor and you are not going to take your truck off road then I'm sure they will do what you need. If you do end up going off road I'd always take another airbag with me.

Whatever kit you use make sure there is enough travel to fully extend your shocks and also adds/retains some sort of bump stop. The gen1 F150 kit removed the bump stop and limited the travel to what felt like half. NOT a good combo and 100% unusable.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a kit made specifically for the 2nd gen raptor and you are not going to take your truck off road then I'm sure they will do what you need. If you do end up going off road I'd always take another airbag with me.

Whatever kit you use make sure there is enough travel to fully extend your shocks and also adds/retains some sort of bump stop. The gen1 F150 kit removed the bump stop and limited the travel to what felt like half. NOT a good combo and 100% unusable.

Riderite has a kit specifically made for the 17 Raptor.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange thread...

Something is off not being told correctly...how bad was the Taco before you added bags?

Truck--------GCWR-----Payload----*Tongue----*Tow. Cap
17' Taco-----11,360-----1,175-------350/640----3,500/6,400
17' Raptor----14,250-----1,200-------500/800-----5,000/8,000
*Weight Carrying / Weight Distribution

Raptor Gains--2,890------25--------150/160-----1,500/1,600

Not sure the details on your Taco but safe to assume your numbers are likely lower...as you probably didn't swap a 17' Taco for a 17' Raptor.

Next is when you ask for some help and get some good advice and seem to ignore it doesn't fare well for you.

I can tell you these 3.5L can tow like crazy...way better than the 6.2L IME. Can't speak to sag and such on the Raptor, but the WD hitch setup works very nice on our previous trucks.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/2017-ford-raptor-definitive-maximum-towing-payload-specs/

Last edited:

Mikeparker

Reaction score
I'm just here like, I have a 1/2 ton edition 5th wheel I want to pull with my raptor, because I do actually jump my raptor and take it off road in, but I have a family I like to take camping too, so I need some bags to level it out and everyone else on here just all ******* in a *** because I want to use my raptor for multiple things.... Other than custom fab, anyone know of easy bolt on bags for the gen2 like they have for the gen1?