Front Spacer limit (taboo)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the acceptable amount of spacing is with our suspension, but there comes a point where too much spacing causes components that aren't designed to limit droop do and cause damage. I'd think 1.5" would be beyond the acceptable range.

I know It is widely known to avoid talking about spacers because of CV binding. But ICON has done it with their adjustable kit and noone is batting an eye. So the question hasn't been answered as to the acceptable limit of a spacer. Is there any concrete info out there form 2017+ Raptors.

Full disclosure, I have 1.5 RPG. Ride quality is perfect for me. Planning to Deaver or add leaf to rear to prevent sag and raise +1 inch rear. Would rather not increase preload any more as I relevel the front else would feel the stiffness of bumps. Drop shackle also not option as 37's look a little cramped now in rear. Would an extra .5" in addition to Icons .5" for a total of a 1" front spacer be a breaker?

Or for anyone else looking is 1.5 a spacer max or is it really Icons .5?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
As long as you are using something that is changing preload, it shouldn't be a huge issue. Judging by my Gen1 experience, anything with a Torsen shouldn't go above 1.5" of lift to protect IWEs. 1.5" of lift was what mid-perch gave the old trucks.

Without a torsen the G1s could go up to top perch just fine with no damage, which was 3"-ish. So I think the Torsen is going to be something to add into your calculations when it comes to spacers.

Now, the other thing is, if you are using a spacer that does not change preload to achieve lift, such as a spacer that goes on the top or bottom mount of the shock, that WILL definitely cause more droop than is designed and put stress on components. Which is why those have always been frowned upon here.

OP
OP
CSJr

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, the other thing is, if you are using a spacer that does not change preload to achieve lift, such as a spacer that goes on the top or bottom mount of the shock, that WILL definitely cause more droop than is designed and put stress on components. Which is why those have always been frowned upon here.

This was the ask. As Icon is using a top spacer plus preload. What is max of top spacer IF I wanted to add one along with a preload?

Was your post in beginning saying as long as I have torsion diff, any combination up to 3" is ok?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
This was the ask. As Icon is using a top spacer plus preload. What is max of top spacer IF I wanted to add one along with a preload?

Was your post in beginning saying as long as I have torsion diff, any combination up to 3" is ok?

No, any combination of the two will not be ok. WITHOUT a torsen, you can manage 3" (at least by Gen1 rules). WITH a torsen your max is 1.5" to protect IWEs

That is all based on Gen1 stuff. The thing is, if you add much of anything to the top of the shock, you're pushing the shock down right? So when you push the shock down, it's full-droop position is farther down too right? This will create ball joint issues, possible IWE issues, and others I'm not thinking of.

I feel like ICON would take the time to make sure their kit wouldn't break the truck. I know that SVC and RPG definitely have done that.

I truthfully don't know how much added droop is going to be enough to harm a Gen2 front end, but I don't know that I'd want to experiment with it. If I were you, I'd just give these companies a ring and ask them about their product testing, and the configuration of their test trucks, and get a feel for it.

DISCLAIMER: All of this is based off of lessons learned on the G1. Things could be different on a G2