Frame gusset kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandyappleman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the a frame gusset kit is necessary on the Gen 2 Raptors? Its my understanding the new raptor frame is boxed and much stronger than the Gen 1. In other words, it wont bend as easily as the old raptor and thus no longer needs a frame gusset kit with bump stops. Can anyone confirm the Gen 2 has a boxed frame? and does NOT need a frame gusset kit?

thanks in advance.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The GEN1 frame is fully boxed.

Look at the frame of your GEN2 through the rear wheel well over the top of your rear tire. If there is a cutout in the frame where the rear suspension bump stop is (the cut out allows the bump stop to be bolted to the fully boxed frame), then you have the same problem that the GEN1 trucks have.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
The Gen 2 frame has been better engineered, but if you're going to run the truck, I'd opt for adding a bump stop kit. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a frame replacement.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Buy the bump kit if you plan to run hard in the dirt. Bottom line is, in factory config if you run out of travel one of two things will give when you bottom out; your frame or your axle. The factory rubber-dog-toy bumpstop isn't going to slow that axle down and absorb that energy. So depending on what gives you've got a tweaked frame or a busted/bent axle. With a hydraulic bump, you've got something to absorb that energy and keep everything safe. Not to mention help control those nasty donkey-kicks that happen when you do bottom out the back sometimes.