Fox preload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Nice to know that Fox still has the set screw for the collar on the back. On my GEN1, I made the same mistake and installed them wondered how I was going to get to the back of the shock to loosen the screw. I was able to take out the top bolts and turn the shock enough to get to the screw without having to remove the shock. As an installation tidbit, loosen the screw BEFORE installing. Once installed, please compress the coils. You will ruin the threads if you do not. I purchased a craftsman spring compress and did it while on the truck. Adjust the collar accordingly. Make sure and move back and forth to let the shock settle (or better, drive around the block) then take measurements, then adjust more if needed. I used the ICON spanner wrench on the Fox shocks and worked perfectly and they are half the price.

HawaiiStevo

Reaction score
Ride height is adjust by first measuring how high the truck sits stock by picking a reference point like sticking a piece of masking tape on the fender before installing the new coilovers. You will want to measure after the new coilovers are in so you know where you’re at. Most professional install shops will always do this on any coilover installation. Then ride height can be adjusted by loosening pinch bolt on preload ring (*note: do not over loosen pinch bolt or the preload ring can skip a thread while adjusting. We highly recommend using a spring compressor to relieve spring tension off the preload ring while adjusting). At this point you should know how much of an adjustment is needed. Motion ratio is approx. 2:1 (ie if you need ½” more ride height you would adjust preload ring towards the shaft end of the shock ¼”). Then retighten pinch bolt and recheck ride height.

Spanner wrench part# 803-00-734 can be helpful but we do recommend you take the spring tension off the preload ring with a spring compressor.

above is email from Fox racing for anybody else who is interested.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont remember which ones I used. I think I used a combo.

I have: http://a.co/gqsXjHf and http://a.co/2XzLfC4

I also like the King T handle and the pin style tools, works way better than the spanner styles

Did you use the 2.5 or 3.0 king T handle?

I’m assuming everyone is getting alignments done after increasing preload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Compressed the coil on my foxes and did 4 turns on the collar to get my truck level with the +3 deavers

View attachment 100447

View attachment 100448

Can you shoot me a measurement or a thread count as a starting point? I have deaver +3s as well. I got them used so I can't cimply go 4 turns over the factory setting because I don't trust what they are set at. Thanks!

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ride height is adjust by first measuring how high the truck sits stock by picking a reference point like sticking a piece of masking tape on the fender before installing the new coilovers. You will want to measure after the new coilovers are in so you know where you’re at. Most professional install shops will always do this on any coilover installation. Then ride height can be adjusted by loosening pinch bolt on preload ring (*note: do not over loosen pinch bolt or the preload ring can skip a thread while adjusting. We highly recommend using a spring compressor to relieve spring tension off the preload ring while adjusting). At this point you should know how much of an adjustment is needed. Motion ratio is approx. 2:1 (ie if you need ½” more ride height you would adjust preload ring towards the shaft end of the shock ¼”). Then retighten pinch bolt and recheck ride height.

Spanner wrench part# 803-00-734 can be helpful but we do recommend you take the spring tension off the preload ring with a spring compressor.

above is email from Fox racing for anybody else who is interested.
I'm trying to figure out something on my truck and was wondering if the last shop I had work done had changed my ride height since previously my tires weren't rubbing and now they are rubbing after they changed the control arms.

Previously my tires first rubbed before I lifted with the 3.0s and now it's back to the same condition prior to putting the shocks. So I'm curious to know as I was looking at the threads now vs before.

My question is how does it work out that 1/8" difference on the thread movement equates to like a 1/4 " ride height difference? Wouldn't moving the height up or down the spring collar on the shock body simply translate to the same up and down in height? Also why does fox only indicate a 0 to 2 inch ride height adjustment with these shocks but the threads look like they can be adjusted up to 4+ inches.