Fox preload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I called Fox tech support and found out that preload is set as s 2” lift from factory. I installed them and it’s defjnitely lower than my Icon collars 2.25” lift.
My question is, how easy is it the adjust the preload on these? Looks like I can loosen the set screw on one but the other I’ll probably have to completely remove again since set screw is facing to the back.
Do I need to use spring compressors or will the Spanner wrench be enough force?
Does anyone know the ratio of turns to lift? I don’t want to keep taking them in and out to get just right. Must be an easier way.
Thanks

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spanner wrench will do it. You don't need to remove the shocks to adjust the height... You may have to unload the front suspension though to turn the collars. As for height, just count how many threads are in the height you want to go up and go from there.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I called Fox tech support and found out that preload is set as s 2” lift from factory. I installed them and it’s defjnitely lower than my Icon collars 2.25” lift.
My question is, how easy is it the adjust the preload on these? Looks like I can loosen the set screw on one but the other I’ll probably have to completely remove again since set screw is facing to the back.
Do I need to use spring compressors or will the Spanner wrench be enough force?
Does anyone know the ratio of turns to lift? I don’t want to keep taking them in and out to get just right. Must be an easier way.
Thanks

I have a Polaris RZR and have adjusted the preload on it numerous times, so I have a basic understanding of what it does. That said, this is the first time that I have read on this forum about adjusting the preload on a Raptor instead of using a collar. Has anybody else simply adjusted the preload on a Gen 2? Why would I buy a collar instead of just adding some preload? If I add preload to get it to ride level, how much will that affect the ride quality?

OP
OP
M

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot change preload on the stock gen2 shocks. This is in regard to the aftermarket 3.0s which have adjustability.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great question. Yesterday I decided to put some more preload on my new fox 3.0's. They leveled my truck but wanted more to clear my new 37's. I had a small rub even after trimming. Jacked up the front and put on jack stands. Bigger than shit the driver side shock top collar is spun 180 degrees and set screw is very hard to get to. We were able to modify an allen wrench on it. I was able to get about 1 and a half revolutions before it froze up. I did squirt WD40 before we started and let it soak for an hour. The other side was ok. It seemed to spin ok but all I could go was one and a half turns to match the other side. My buddy who worked at Fox says people would call all the time saying the adjust nut wont spin per the directions. He said you need to take the shock off your truck, get a spring tool and compress then to spin the nut. He said the load on the spring from Fox is already crazy so trying to go more with all that load on the spring will eff up the threads on the shock body. So now, Im trying to figure out what to do next? PITA

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added some load to the front to compress the coil then put a coil compressor on it to hold it there. Then released load on front an jacked it up and spin away. Also lube does help and prevents galling.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added some load to the front to compress the coil then put a coil compressor on it to hold it there. Then released load on front an jacked it up and spin away. Also lube does help and prevents galling.

ahhh, great idea! thanks. Was it a rental type tool, like from Autozone or something?