GEN 2 eibach front spring install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its best to measure from the center of the wheel to the fender. This takes out all rim diameter variation.

you then just added variance because of human error.

Again, this is not how manufacturers like BMW measure ride height. specifically, because of this. Human Error

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you then just added variance because of human error.

Again, this is not how manufacturers like BMW measure ride height. specifically, because of this. Human Error

And going bottom of the rim through the center cap to the fender as you imply ASSUMES that the wheel is centered in the fender well.. So if you want to get technical, that adds a degree of variance which negates that method as well.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if seagulls shit on the sunroof? what if bigfoot went on CNN and talked about Russian Collusion?

it's consistent. that's the most simplistic way and eliminates the most gross error.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if seagulls shit on the sunroof? what if bigfoot went on CNN and talked about Russian Collusion?

it's consistent. that's the most simplistic way and eliminates the most gross error.
What if the wheel is out of round?
What if the wheel lip is larger than a comparable wheel of the same diameter?
What if there is more slack at the end on my tape measure?
What if the gas tank isn't full?
What if the floor is out of level by 3/16"?

Maybe we should get out the lasers and bounce them off the moon to measure?

Why do BMW people think that their shit don't stink?

We're talking about a change in ride height on a truck here, not a ******* race car. If you can measure to within 1/8", it will be fine. Also we're looking at a change in ride height, so if you measure using the same reference points (center of wheel to fender lip, wheel lip to fender lip, floor to fender lip) before and after then the measurement is validated.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if the wheel is out of round?
What if the wheel lip is larger than a comparable wheel of the same diameter?
What if there is more slack at the end on my tape measure?
What if the gas tank isn't full?
What if the floor is out of level by 3/16"?

Maybe we should get out the lasers and bounce them off the moon to measure?

Why do BMW people think that their shit don't stink?

We're talking about a change in ride height on a truck here, not a ******* race car. If you can measure to within 1/8", it will be fine. Also we're looking at a change in ride height, so if you measure using the same reference points (center of wheel to fender lip, wheel lip to fender lip, floor to fender lip) before and after then the measurement is validated.

Sweetart, you are the one getting all bent out of shape. I measure from the bottom of the rim, to the fender edge. As do all of my technicians, and really, all BMW technicians- a car maker world wide. Think that it's consistent? I think so.

If the rim lip is bent far enough to cause that issue........
measure somewhere else and get your rim fixed.

your other stupid retorts:
makes no sense
makes no difference if measured and not driven
makes no difference if measured in the same spot.

MY shit doesn't stink- your attitude towards a known method that eliminates tire variances apparently has pissed in your cereal.

You're correct, we are measuring ride height. Acceptable variance in my shop is less than 10mm.
A ride height difference that can be measured very accurately, and adjusted to anyone's wheel size by just adding or subtracting- without the worry about physical tire size is how we do it.

no, measurement the way you describe is not accurate, nor can be validated from one truck to another.

Tell me my 35x12.50x15 super swamper TSL's are the same size as my 35x12.50x20 Toyo A/Ts

They arent. Now your ride height just changed doing it your way, measuring from the floor. OR, guessing whats the middle of a hub.

This isn't rocket surgery, but let me explain this to you again.
measure from the bottom of the rim to the fender.
it will eliminate a tire size/bulge variable.
All you have to do is state your wheel size.
no guess work, no eyeballing to the center of the rim, no variance.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetart, you are the one getting all bent out of shape. I measure from the bottom of the rim, to the fender edge. As do all of my technicians, and really, all BMW technicians- a car maker world wide. Think that it's consistent? I think so.

If the rim lip is bent far enough to cause that issue........
measure somewhere else and get your rim fixed.

your other stupid retorts:
makes no sense
makes no difference if measured and not driven
makes no difference if measured in the same spot.

MY shit doesn't stink- your attitude towards a known method that eliminates tire variances apparently has pissed in your cereal.

You're correct, we are measuring ride height. Acceptable variance in my shop is less than 10mm.
A ride height difference that can be measured very accurately, and adjusted to anyone's wheel size by just adding or subtracting- without the worry about physical tire size is how we do it.

no, measurement the way you describe is not accurate, nor can be validated from one truck to another.

Tell me my 35x12.50x15 super swamper TSL's are the same size as my 35x12.50x20 Toyo A/Ts

They arent. Now your ride height just changed doing it your way, measuring from the floor. OR, guessing whats the middle of a hub.

This isn't rocket surgery, but let me explain this to you again.
measure from the bottom of the rim to the fender.
it will eliminate a tire size/bulge variable.
All you have to do is state your wheel size.
no guess work, no eyeballing to the center of the rim, no variance.

First, I did not display any art, but if I did, it would be pretty ******* sweet. You can bank on that.

Second, you clearly don't grasp sarcasm, so I'll be more direct. You proclaim that your method id the only correct way and try to discredit any other option. No one cares what the distance is from the wheel lip to the fender is. They want to know overall actual change in height. So long as you use the same measuring method before and after, then simple ******* math will provide you an accurate overall increase in height. That can be validated to another truck. It's not "rocket surgery" (what ever the **** that means).Considering that trucks don't measure the same to begin with (different options, aftermarket bumpers, etc.), only the difference between before and after can truly be validated to another truck.

Two people that always have an answer are BWM people and mechanics. That makes you one of the biggest ******* know-it-alls around.

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rubs temples: "No one cares what the distance is from the wheel lip to the fender is. They want to know overall actual change in height."

lol you contradict yourself heavily here lol

if you did this, then someone else in another state did this, then i did this, we'd all have different inconclusive results that could not accurately be measured against one another. Thats the whole reason why i stated exactly how I measured, so others could replicate it directly without tire variance.

you know, you don't have to participate in every internet argument. So, go measure how you want.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rubs temples: "No one cares what the distance is from the wheel lip to the fender is. They want to know overall actual change in height."

lol you contradict yourself heavily here lol

if you did this, then someone else in another state did this, then i did this, we'd all have different inconclusive results that could not accurately be measured against one another. Thats the whole reason why i stated exactly how I measured, so others could replicate it directly without tire variance.

you know, you don't have to participate in every internet argument. So, go measure how you want.

You seem confused about what contradict means.

Contradict | Define Contradict at Dictionary.com

I used extreme sarcasm to make a point originally since you had done the same, but let's review your response.

You said amount of fuel or uneven floor didn't matter as long as you didn't drive the truck or move it when measuring, but now your talking about measure two trucks in different states. That is contradictory.

My point still stands. The difference between before and after are the only transferable values. If you have a SCAB with an empty rank and a unlevel floor, your before measurement might be 3/4 to 1 inch higher than someone with a SCREW with a full tank, aftermarket bumper and a level floor. So that means your after measurement will also be 3/4 to 1 inch higher, regardless of how you measure. The difference between the before and after should be almost identical.