Deaver +3 Springs installed now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
How much travel does this add with stock shocks, shackles, and deavers? Just curious?

Like @khcdave said you don't gain travel with +3's and stock OEM 2.5 shocks.

In my case my +3 had a full inch of travel that was limited by the shock. Over the long run if you run +3 and stock shocks you will want to use a limit strap if you off-road.

When I went to Fox 3.0's I gained that inch of travel. I still think it's a good idea to run a limit strap.

Lifting the Raptor slowly on a rack you can see the springs limit the travel to the shocks max. Off-road with off-road forces I'm pretty sure the shock limits the travel since both are at the max point. Over time that could hurt the shock.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How much with a longer shock? I’ve asked around about this and nobody knows, but I think is a good way to go.

As a reference stock shocks on gen1 are around 11 inches of travel and you get 12 inches of travel out of them due the angle they are mounted versus the travel motion of the axle. You cant just add a longer shock in the stock location unfortunatly since it will have a longer body and bottom out before full compression. The shock mounting must be reconfigured to accomidate the length of the longer shocks for up and down travel. Up travel is limited always by the frame so you are ultimately gaining all down travel keeping the tires on the ground as much as possible.

A bed cage mounting the shocks through the bed will allow you to run 16 travel shocks

The other option is Icon's long travel shock that uses the stock mounting and has a trick shock body that mounts the shock rearward of the stock mount. 15 inches of travel out of that set up.

Here is the bedcage set up I make to run 16 travel shocks

IMG_4300.jpg

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And running straps is never a bad idea if you run off road. As trick_raptor said its hard on the internal shock bodies when using the shocks as the travel limiter- rebound dampening slows the shock from bottoming hard but its always better to run straps and protect your shock investment

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like @khcdave said you don't gain travel with +3's and stock OEM 2.5 shocks.

In my case my +3 had a full inch of travel that was limited by the shock. Over the long run if you run +3 and stock shocks you will want to use a limit strap if you off-road.

When I went to Fox 3.0's I gained that inch of travel. I still think it's a good idea to run a limit strap.

Lifting the Raptor slowly on a rack you can see the springs limit the travel to the shocks max. Off-road with off-road forces I'm pretty sure the shock limits the travel since both are at the max point. Over time that could hurt the shock.

So I talked to RPG, SVC, and Deaver yesterday and they said the +3 springs (or +2) are the same springs as the ones used on the RST 18 kit so there should be more than another inch droop travel out of them right? Because I’m planning on upgrading to RST 18.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
+2 or +3 deavers will droop an extra 4 inches with a +1 or +2 shackle no prob. The key is the shackle and springs with poly bushings

I ran +3 springs with +1 shackle and had full 16 inches of travel

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
So I talked to RPG, SVC, and Deaver yesterday and they said the +3 springs (or +2) are the same springs as the ones used on the RST 18 kit so there should be more than another inch droop travel out of them right? Because I’m planning on upgrading to RST 18.

In my case I saw an extra 1" of travel with +3 Deaver's and like @khcdave you can see more with shackles. When I installed the springs I also installed Camburg shackles.

However at the time I installed the springs/shakles I still had OEM 2.5 shocks so I didn't see any extra travel until I installed Fox 3.0's a few months later.

Last edited:

John Tamasi

Reaction score
Hello All. I have a 2017 Raptor. It has either a 2 or a 2.25 level kit. It was installed before I got it so I’m not 100% sure. I put a retrax cover on and it dropped the bed .5 inch from the front. I put in proryde 1.5 lift block in the rear to bring it up. Now sitting about .75 above the front. I like the look of it. I’m just trying to find out the advantages and disadvantages of what I did vrs geting the +3 deavers. I didn’t want to spend too much since I don’t do a lot of off roading and I thought I would have to add some type of bump stop with deavers. Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 12951

Hello All. I have a 2017 Raptor. It has either a 2 or a 2.25 level kit. It was installed before I got it so I’m not 100% sure. I put a retrax cover on and it dropped the bed .5 inch from the front. I put in proryde 1.5 lift block in the rear to bring it up. Now sitting about .75 above the front. I like the look of it. I’m just trying to find out the advantages and disadvantages of what I did vrs geting the +3 deavers. I didn’t want to spend too much since I don’t do a lot of off roading and I thought I would have to add some type of bump stop with deavers. Any thoughts?

There is already a 2” block under the leaf springs from factory. Did you add another 1.5” block on top of that?

Can you post a picture as not quite sure what you did?

FYI: Deavers +3 will only raise the rear by 1” from stock.