Axle hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone find success with aftermarket springs or shocks to reduce some do the axle hop?

Once the road gets a little washboard... the rear end is all over the place when you’re tying to accelerate.

Curious if anyone has had success with deavers, replacement fox shocks with rezzies... etc?

Thanks

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a kit now offered but waiting for responses chime In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Deaver springs will fix the issue. Additionally, the upgraded Fox 3.0 shocks with external reservoirs have also corrected the issue.

Be advised, if you add the Deaver springs you will need to add an extension plate for your existing factory jounce/bump stop or go with aftermarket bump stops from ADD, RPG, SVC, etc. Failure to extend the factory bump stops or add aftermarket bump stops will risk damaging the shock during full compression by over-compressing the shock.

Additionally, the ride quality both on-road and off-road will be improved with the new springs. One thing to consider, if you tow or haul quite often, you will lose some towing ability with the Deavers and have more sag in the rear-end. That's the trade-off of removing the factory rear blocks and upgrading the springs.

If you have more questions or would like to go over your options, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss options with you.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick,

So the Deavers would eliminate the stock leaf spring blocks... so to achieve a factory height, I would need to increase the deaver length?

What do you think the best bump stop option is?

What about them fixes the axle hop issue? Is it the spring rate?

I’m thinking I may want to level the front and go with the deavers to correct the rear end.... what do you think the best leveling method is at this point? Longer springs or just the collars?

It’s interesting.... the axle hop was noticible but it wasn’t horrible until I added 100 horsepower. Admittedly though the rear end has never handled that great. It absorbs large hits well but it doesn’t respond well to repeated small ones.

Thanks Nick

Deaver springs will fix the issue. Additionally, the upgraded Fox 3.0 shocks with external reservoirs have also corrected the issue.

Be advised, if you add the Deaver springs you will need to add an extension plate for your existing factory jounce/bump stop or go with aftermarket bump stops from ADD, RPG, SVC, etc. Failure to extend the factory bump stops or add aftermarket bump stops will risk damaging the shock during full compression by over-compressing the shock.

Additionally, the ride quality both on-road and off-road will be improved with the new springs. One thing to consider, if you tow or haul quite often, you will lose some towing ability with the Deavers and have more sag in the rear-end. That's the trade-off of removing the factory rear blocks and upgrading the springs.

If you have more questions or would like to go over your options, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss options with you.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nick,

So the Deavers would eliminate the stock leaf spring blocks... so to achieve a factory height, I would need to increase the deaver length?

The standard Deaver is a +2" height spring which replaces the factory 2" block meaning that it leaves you at factory height. Conversely, if you install the +3 springs, you'll be 1" over stock height.

What do you think the best bump stop option is?

Honestly, we offer them all. Different kits offer different options. Part of it depends with what you plan to do with your truck on a day to day basis. The other part of it is determining which route you intend to take your truck's suspension build so that you know that your setup can grow with you. I'd be happy to go into more detail with you to get this dialed in.

What about them fixes the axle hop issue? Is it the spring rate?

The elimination of the factory block knocks out the axle wrap from a dig since you're effectively making a one piece system out of what used to the two-piece system by going with all spring and eliminating the block. However, to keep the rest of the axle hop at bay, the spring rate change helps as well.

I’m thinking I may want to level the front and go with the deavers to correct the rear end.... what do you think the best leveling method is at this point? Longer springs or just the collars?

It depends how wild you want to get with your suspension build. Your most basic option is to throw on one of the shock collars on the market (ie. RPG, SVC, Icon, BajaMod) to raise the front. Alternatively, if you want to make a significant upgrade, swap out the front shocks for a pair of aftermarket Fox or King 3.0s with adjustable height, external reservoirs, and greater adjustability.

It’s interesting.... the axle hop was noticible but it wasn’t horrible until I added 100 horsepower. Admittedly though the rear end has never handled that great. It absorbs large hits well but it doesn’t respond well to repeated small ones.

Thanks Nick

An extra shot of 100hp just makes a bad problem worse. I'll send you a PM and we'll get this setup dialed in for you.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone find success with aftermarket springs or shocks to reduce some do the axle hop?

Once the road gets a little washboard... the rear end is all over the place when you’re tying to accelerate.

Curious if anyone has had success with deavers, replacement fox shocks with rezzies... etc?

Thanks

I'm going to go with traction bars myself. Just waiting for companies to confirm the 2017 Raptor fitment. For example, BDS has the Recoil traction bars that look cool for the standard F150s and need to test on the Raptor. We have the unique frame that may or may not make a difference.

Nevertheless, take a look at those as an alternative solution to Deavers, etc.

Big Johnson

Reaction score
I put the RPG 1.5" collar on mine and ran some errands around town before installing the deavers. Boy that sure made the truck handle alot different. Ass end doesnt seem to pogo and bounce as much on the rough stuff. The deavers really firm up the ride, very comparable to how they change the gen 1 ride. If I hadnt already had the deavers sitting in my garage I may not have bothered with them. Just getting the truck closer to level makes the ride alot different.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the RPG 1.5" collar on mine and ran some errands around town before installing the deavers. Boy that sure made the truck handle alot different. Ass end doesnt seem to pogo and bounce as much on the rough stuff. The deavers really firm up the ride, very comparable to how they change the gen 1 ride. If I hadnt already had the deavers sitting in my garage I may not have bothered with them. Just getting the truck closer to level makes the ride alot different.

I like the look of the stock raptor when it is not level. Nose down a little if you will. This seems to be contrary to everyone else around here. I don't think that I would add collars just for the look but if it will reduce the wheel hop I might have to pull the trigger on maybe the RPG collars. It makes sense that leveling might add weight to the rear that is not unsprung and thus reduce wheel hop. Can any of these collars be done without a spring compressor? Which one is easiest to install (SVC, RPG, Icon)?

Big Johnson

Reaction score
The only way you could do it without a compressor is to use an actual press. They are all about the same amount of work to install. Mine still measures 1.75" rake which will settle a bit I expect once I get some miles on the deavers. Ideally I like 1", guess I should have gotten the svc adjustable setup.