Alcon Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone have the Alcon Full brake kit on their truck? If so how do you like it?

We just installed a set on the shop truck and the pedal feel and length of pedal travel for around town braking over stock is significant. On repeated stops when bedding in the brakes, there was significant difference in pedal feel perceived stopping distance compared to stop. We did data logging of the stock brakes and did 3 stops on the same road/same day in repeated passes. Now that the Alcon Kit and ADD Tie Rod Adapters have been installed, we will be doing the same test once we get the front end aligned (required after Tie Rod Adapter installation).

Where to buy?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We're an authorized Alcon dealer and have kits in stock!

Looks like a killer brake kit. Wish the calipers were aluminum.

The calipers are ductile iron as opposed to aluminum for the added strength and less resistance to heat/jarring bumps vs aluminum.

Don't worry about it. I'm actually not that attached to the OEM's . But Honestly I'm leaning towards the Alcon's. I'm just not a fan of their finish. For the price they could look a little better. The red looks good, but at least paint your company name so it stands out.

Also another question, would all the factory sensors still work with the change to Alcon's or another BBK? I'm talking about the brake pad wear sensors and other miscellany??

The ductile iron is the reason for the rougher finish on the calipers. And yes, so far, all sensors work like OEM after install. The tipping point for Auto Start/Stop is at the same position as well and works like factory.

Anyone know why they went with iron for the calipers? Why no two piece rotor?

Someone needs to weigh the Alcon kit. Looks like the rotors weigh more than stock.

Added strength over aluminum is our understanding of it. Why no two-piece rotor? Can't quite answer that one. I'd assume 1 piece for as a priority was placed on strength vs weight reduction. The aftermarket setup is heavier. Not sure what the difference was vs OEM, didn't weight it.

What's even more nuts is Deberti's Raptor, with all that hardware, is the one they claim stops quicker than a vette.

Personally I'd love to see the black and white data there but until I do so its all speculation and marketing.

I think the biggest thing here is that the Deberti Raptor was on a fully prepped track with super soft BFG T/As. Road conditions and sticky tires will help the truck stop faster. And per Alcon, the stop from 60-0 was measured at 90 feet.

As far as actual data, we will be providing it once we get our alignment done and complete our testing.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got so caught up in wheel sizes that you're right, the obvious is you have room in the front

Give Mark or Rick over at Baer at call - I'm sure they will sell you another front setup to put on the rear

I'm not bothered by the caliper size difference but the rotor differences and how the front and rear read differently i.e. 6P and T4 would give me ticks - I'd prefer just the Baer name and logo

I don't think there would be a way to get the e-brake to work with a front setup in the rear and since I spend a lot of my free time in the mountains I need to keep that functional.

Rotor size also isn't everything. Warren over at Racing Brakes for example told me that his kit uses larger brake pads than the C5/C6 pads the Baer kit uses. That's definitely got to count for something.

What I learned a long time ago with these trucks is that everything is a compromise. I made my bet with the Baer kit. I'll report back once it's installed.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our Baer Kit fits Gen 1 and Gen 2 (Without Electronic Emergency Brake)

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the verdict R1 vs. Alcon Vs Baer for 17's. Left foot breaking overheats stock all too often in the desert

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.....guess I'm gonna have to get new wheels and tires to fit the big brakes. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Lol sorry man get some 35” Ridge grapplers the vorsteiners are pretty sick! I like my rotiforms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, we did our independent testing of the Alcon Brakes yesterday.

We did the test from 60mph to 0. 3 runs on the same street under the same conditions.

Our best distance with the stock brakes was 144 feet.

Our best distance with the Alcon Brakes was 105 feet.

Huge improvement!

Truck is on 20” Vorsteiner VenomRex wheels and 325/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. And had the same wheels during stock testing and Alcon testing. Only difference besides the brakes was the ADD Tie Rod Adapter Kits to provide clearance for the Alcon brake rotors.

We have video of everything and will be posting it up soon!