Alcon Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have them on my car with 37's and love it. Huge difference compared to stock. Makes you feel a lot more confident and well worth it!

Here is a video on youtube someone put up showing the stopping distances compared to stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWthfkhRhqs

I love the kit, but this is so far from right that you're beyond wrong

BBKs don't necessarily help you stop shorter, hell half the time the stopping distance on the 1st panic stop is longer by a few feet vs OEM ... that's not their purpose

:think:

hdinmotion

Reaction score

BajaFred, correct me if I am wrong but I think your point is that the braking distances are similar to stock when rotors are not heated up.

Example would be in a panic stop on the freeway not giving you a much shorter stopping distance that OEM?

Truckzor:
I am heavy on the brakes off-road and on-road so the difference vs OEM is night at day for me. The OEM brakes are not bad but after just a few hard pumps at higher speeds it gets mushy and losses it's performance.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BajaFred, correct me if I am wrong but I think your point is that the braking distances are similar to stock when rotors are not heated up.

Example would be in a panic stop on the freeway not giving you a much shorter stopping distance that OEM?

Truckzor:
I am heavy on the brakes off-road and on-road so the difference vs OEM is night at day for me. The OEM brakes are not bad but after just a few hard pumps at higher speeds it gets mushy and losses it's performance.

Hey brother - you're absolutely right. I worded my reply very carefully, and I'm disappointed in Truckzor.

Most people (wrongly, but I used to think the same, too) think BBKs magically help you stop shorter when the truth is you're limited by the grip of the tires. Both OEMs and BBKs can lock up the tires - it's up to tire vs ground friction at that point. Everyone overlooks this fact.

On the 1st panic stop, OEM (on a decent car i.e. OEM didn't ship cheap shit from the factory) and BBKs will stop within feet of each other. The video posted showed 136 OEM vs 125 Alcon on the 1st stop. If your BBK setup (plus new wheels & tires to fit larger brakes) weighs more than the OEM setup, you might actually see slightly longer stopping distance vs OEM.

I'm heavy on my brakes, too. Where BBKs shine is on repeated use and/or if needed, panic stops beyond the 1st one. OEMs will fade hard while BBKs will remain consistent.

I've done my own 70 to 0 tests with Baer, Brembo, etc over time and never saw "stopping power that can beat out super cars" like the other poster wrote - simply doesn't happen due to tires, not the brakes.

Last edited:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why they went with iron for the calipers? Why no two piece rotor?

Someone needs to weigh the Alcon kit. Looks like the rotors weigh more than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know why they went with iron for the calipers? Why no two piece rotor?

Someone needs to weigh the Alcon kit. Looks like the rotors weigh more than stock.

They didn't make the kit for saving weight - let's get real it's a 3 ton truck... They used iron calipers and single piece iron rotors for strength and durability.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't make the kit for saving weight - let's get real it's a 3 ton truck... They used iron calipers and single piece iron rotors for strength and durability.

Why are they the only BBK manufacturer using iron calipers and one piece rotors?

Brembo, Wilwood, R1 Concepts, Baer are not strong and durable?

Why wouldn’t they make the kit for weight savings? Especially with rotating mass that can help performance in every category?

Might just be me but from my point of view they cut a lot of corners and are asking a premium for this kit that uses wheel spacers and requires aftermarket tie rods.

No doubt it works better than stock with the clamping force of opposed pistons for $6-$7k I expect more out of a BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Iron is cheaper, as aluminum can be just as strong while also being lighter.

Baer, Brembo use aluminum calipers. Unsure about Wilwood and RacingBrake.

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was picking on your modern sports car hyperbole

McLaren 720S takes 108 feet from 60mph and 178 feet from 80mph

OEM F150s take 119-129 feet from 60mph

The "test" video shows his Alcon stopping in 125 feet but not from 60mph but instead 75mph

Does anyone think that's realistic? He's a full 15mph faster but stopping quicker than OEM?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...long-to-stop-from-80-mph-vs-60-mph-heres-why/

ATRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was picking on your modern sports car hyperbole

McLaren 720S takes 108 feet from 60mph and 178 feet from 80mph

OEM F150s take 119-129 feet from 60mph

The "test" video shows his Alcon stopping in 125 feet but not from 60mph but instead 75mph

Does anyone think that's realistic? He's a full 15mph faster but stopping quicker than OEM?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...long-to-stop-from-80-mph-vs-60-mph-heres-why/

Again....ALCON's words/claim/hyperbole, not mine.

"Maximize your stopping power – This
7,500lb, Alcon equipped Raptor stops
quicker than a stock Corvette Stingray!"

They've used similar language in other marketing materials and articles. So pick on it all you want, I'm just repeating what they've claimed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯