Adjustable Perch Collars and Firestone Lifetime Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to pick up some RPG adjustable perch collars after seeing Nick's (Apollo Optics) stance with his perch collars, reading about other forum member's on-road dynamics (front not dropping so much when braking), and reading about improved off-road stance (higher approach angle, pre-loading spring to increase the amount of downward travel needed before bottoming out).

I need to have them at 1” lift for daily driving - my garage at work will leave me with 0.5" of clearance after 1" of lift. When I go off-roading (TRR coming up), I want to increase the lift - still not sure what that amount is.

After the initial installation, I'm thinking I can compress the spring while still on the truck enough to move the split ring to it's desired location then go in for an alignment. I used the rental spring compressors (i.e. widowmakers) - I've changed out my share of shocks on MacPherson struts with them. Then go in for an alignment.

What's your experience with the Firestone Lifetime alignment? The fine print says you can only get it aligned every 6,000 miles or whenever needed. I had the lifetime alignment for a Jeep TJ years back. Every time I threw on a new part, I went in for an alignment, no problem, but that's been nearly a decade.

Any thoughts on the ideal lift for off-roading events like TRR? The back is going to loaded down a bit (2 spares, jack, cooler, tools) so I'm guessing the full 3.5" lift isn't a good call, maybe right in the middle with 2.25" of lift?

Also, am I nuts? Swapping back and forth on the perch height? That's what these are made for, right?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I decided to pick up some RPG adjustable perch collars after seeing Nick's (Apollo Optics) stance with his perch collars, reading about other forum member's on-road dynamics (front not dropping so much when braking), and reading about improved off-road stance (higher approach angle, pre-loading spring to increase the amount of downward travel needed before bottoming out).

I need to have them at 1” lift for daily driving - my garage at work will leave me with 0.5" of clearance after 1" of lift. When I go off-roading (TRR coming up), I want to increase the lift - still not sure what that amount is.

After the initial installation, I'm thinking I can compress the spring while still on the truck enough to move the split ring to it's desired location then go in for an alignment. I used the rental spring compressors (i.e. widowmakers) - I've changed out my share of shocks on MacPherson struts with them. Then go in for an alignment.

What's your experience with the Firestone Lifetime alignment? The fine print says you can only get it aligned every 6,000 miles or whenever needed. I had the lifetime alignment for a Jeep TJ years back. Every time I threw on a new part, I went in for an alignment, no problem, but that's been nearly a decade.

Any thoughts on the ideal lift for off-roading events like TRR? The back is going to loaded down a bit (2 spares, jack, cooler, tools) so I'm guessing the full 3.5" lift isn't a good call, maybe right in the middle with 2.25" of lift?

Also, am I nuts? Swapping back and forth on the perch height? That's what these are made for, right?

firestone will void the lifetime bit due to the change. NTB will not.

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
firestone will void the lifetime bit due to the change. NTB will not.

I wonder if it’s just the shop. The firestone shops I used had no issue doing my alignment each time I put in a new part (lift, adjustable track bar, new struts), even let me specify the specific non-factory parameters (toe, camber, caster).

Do you have any experience with going back to NTB after modifying the suspension?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s just the shop. The firestone shops I used had no issue doing my alignment each time I put in a new part (lift, adjustable track bar, new struts), even let me specify the specific non-factory parameters (toe, camber, caster).

Do you have any experience with going back to NTB after modifying the suspension?

yep. no questions asked.

But that has been on my gt350 ( and a few other performance vehicles).

My raptor doesn't fit on my local NTB's alignment rack anymore. :biggrin:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have used the NTB lifetime alignment for my Jeep Wrangler and my Gen 1 Raptor. On my Jeep, I did a 3" lift after my first alignment and they took care of it. I changed the perch on my Gen 1 from high to mid and the did the re-alignment without asking any questions.

I have never tried Firestone, but NTB has been good so far.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

My raptor doesn't fit on my local NTB's alignment rack anymore. :biggrin:

Are you saying that will not do a Raptor with 37s?

JetG

Reaction score
What garage are you in? I am in 1100 Smith and it is 6'9". My understanding was the collars were not adding height.

"The roof is at a slant being the highest in the rear. By leveling/lifting only the front is raised. You are making the lower front roof match the higher rear roof. So if the rear of the roof clears your garage now it still will when the front of the roof matches the rears height. Hopefully this pic gives you a better idea on how the leveling would change the stance."

Attachments

• Collar.jpg
    Collar.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 57

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I have used the NTB lifetime alignment for my Jeep Wrangler and my Gen 1 Raptor. On my Jeep, I did a 3" lift after my first alignment and they took care of it. I changed the perch on my Gen 1 from high to mid and the did the re-alignment without asking any questions.

I have never tried Firestone, but NTB has been good so far.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Are you saying that will not do a Raptor with 37s?

apparently, most of NTBs racks are 88" wide.

I'm running icon rebound wheels ( 5"BS, +6 offset) and 37x12.50 BFG KO2s.

When they tried to pull it on the rack, about 3.5" of tire was hanging off the sides of the rack and the tech was not comfortable with attempting the alignment.

Some NTBs have a wider rack that will facilitate duallys. You may want to check with your local NTB before you sit there and wait, only to be told the truck doesnt fit.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
apparently, most of NTBs racks are 88" wide.

I'm running icon rebound wheels ( 5"BS, +6 offset) and 37x12.50 BFG KO2s.

When they tried to pull it on the rack, about 3.5" of tire was hanging off the sides of the rack and the tech was not comfortable with attempting the alignment.

Some NTBs have a wider rack that will facilitate duallys. You may want to check with your local NTB before you sit there and wait, only to be told the truck doesnt fit.

I am going with the 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy's which are also 5" BS and +6 offset and 37x12.50 Toyo RTs, so it sounds like I will have the same issue.

Is there any reason not to have them do the alignment with my stock wheels and tires? (i.e. After the Geiser Springs and Deavers +3s, but before I switch the wheels?)

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What garage are you in? I am in 1100 Smith and it is 6'9". My understanding was the collars were not adding height.

"The roof is at a slant being the highest in the rear. By leveling/lifting only the front is raised. You are making the lower front roof match the higher rear roof. So if the rear of the roof clears your garage now it still will when the front of the roof matches the rears height. Hopefully this pic gives you a better idea on how the leveling would change the stance."

1401 Smith. It’s 6’8” and the truck is 6’6.5” (78.5”) tall. Thanks for the heads up on the slant in the roof. Makes me less nervous about the 1” lift.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am going with the 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy's which are also 5" BS and +6 offset and 37x12.50 Toyo RTs, so it sounds like I will have the same issue.

Is there any reason not to have them do the alignment with my stock wheels and tires? (i.e. After the Geiser Springs and Deavers +3s, but before I switch the wheels?)

you could do that. I'd already sold my stock tires, so i didnt have that option.