2019 dynamic shocks, How will you upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csixer66

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a Raptor and install the Roush shock package or Kings on it. Not paying the $20 grand add on for Roush shocks and stickers when i can just buy the shocks for a fraction of that. My worry is if I get a 2019 its going to have the dynamic electronic suspension. No way you will be able to peel those shocks off and replace without many lights and possibly derate/limp mode. I also for one would like my shocks to not have a module attached. Enough shit we cant work on already unless you have dealer tools. Dont need my suspension being one of them. So this too makes me not want this system. Will it be standard or will you have to option it when ordering? Sadly if it will be standard and madatory, looks like I will not be owning a Raptor. Just thought Id ask here to see what the thoughts are

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a 2018. The shocks will be standard on the 2019. For those that want a level on the 2019 will have issues if they want to use collar's. Looks like the wiring for the electronics is where some collars go.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one would love to hear if 2019 shocks can be retrofitted into 2018s. I realize that's probably not likely given the electronics need to be tied to a magnetic shock controller ECU, but curious if you can source the entire kit and kaboodle from someone like the OP who is ripping it out of a 2019.

OP
OP
C

csixer66

Reaction score
If I order a Raptor I will wait a few months and get a 19. Even if I dont upgrade the shocks. I dont want even more complex electronics than it already has. So not a fan of the electronic shocks. So looks like I might be passing on this. Or I find a Roush edition if they make one in 2019. Guess we will find out more as more is released. If I get a Raptor Front leveling springs and Deaver leafs are a minimum must for me. I dont do Perch lifts as it stiffens the ride too much

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget Fox made the 2019 electronic shocks for Ford. They are not dumb in that I am sure they know some owners will want to upgrade and thus have other systems (non electronic) to replace the electronic ones.

For example, they will sell you a module for XX dollars to turn off all the warning lights and to trick the truck into thinking that the OEM shocks are still on.

Im looking to buy a Raptor and install the Roush shock package or Kings on it. Not paying the $20 grand add on for Roush shocks and stickers when i can just buy the shocks for a fraction of that. My worry is if I get a 2019 its going to have the dynamic electronic suspension. No way you will be able to peel those shocks off and replace without many lights and possibly derate/limp mode. I also for one would like my shocks to not have a module attached. Enough shit we cant work on already unless you have dealer tools. Dont need my suspension being one of them. So this too makes me not want this system. Will it be standard or will you have to option it when ordering? Sadly if it will be standard and madatory, looks like I will not be owning a Raptor. Just thought Id ask here to see what the thoughts are

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Electronically controlled suspension isn’t new. Ohlins has been making electronic “semi active” suspension bits for bikes for years now. Ducati, Kawasaki and maybe bmw(?) have been able to swap in the electronic Ohlins for a while. On the Kaws, the rear active shock comes with a harness that plugs right into the zx10r harness, and there’s an optional race control unit for the shock and steering damper.

Ducati’s had the electronic suspension on their Multistrada for a few years now. As with most things electronic, some people love them, some people hate them but there is some merit to them.

Unless you’re a road racer, the 10r turns in improved lap times with the electronic rear shock and you drive it home without tinkering. Ducati made theirs “mode adjustable” like the drive modes, but, with the ability to tailor the suspension, max power, power curve, etc. within each mode.

It’s -possible- that Fox will do similar, but I wouldn’t expect it to be inexpensive and unless you’re really putting in a ton of off road miles in the Rap, probably not worth the upgrade. Are you experiencing poor suspension actuation off road with the 3.0 Fox that come stock?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Electronically controlled suspension isn’t new. Ohlins has been making electronic “semi active” suspension bits for bikes for years now. Ducati, Kawasaki and maybe bmw(?) have been able to swap in the electronic Ohlins for a while. On the Kaws, the rear active shock comes with a harness that plugs right into the zx10r harness, and there’s an optional race control unit for the shock and steering damper.

Ducati’s had the electronic suspension on their Multistrada for a few years now. As with most things electronic, some people love them, some people hate them but there is some merit to them.

Unless you’re a road racer, the 10r turns in improved lap times with the electronic rear shock and you drive it home without tinkering. Ducati made theirs “mode adjustable” like the drive modes, but, with the ability to tailor the suspension, max power, power curve, etc. within each mode.

It’s -possible- that Fox will do similar, but I wouldn’t expect it to be inexpensive and unless you’re really putting in a ton of off road miles in the Rap, probably not worth the upgrade. Are you experiencing poor suspension actuation off road with the 3.0 Fox that come stock?

Finally, someone else that explains it so I don't have to. Still, the benefits of an aftermarket kit, which Fox would be stupid not to do, can not be understated. It will give you the most optimal setting everywhere, on road and off. I definitely intend to replace my OEMs with Fox Lives when they wear out.

You'll have to run power to them, and they won't change with mode selection like the 2019s will, but otherwise it will work just like the bike versions, and with the same performance gains to boot.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Finally, someone else that explains it so I don't have to. Still, the benefits of an aftermarket kit, which Fox would be stupid not to do, can not be understated. It will give you the most optimal setting everywhere, on road and off. I definitely intend to replace my OEMs with Fox Lives when they wear out.

You'll have to run power to them, and they won't change with mode selection like the 2019s will, but otherwise it will work just like the bike versions, and with the same performance gains to boot.

if they provide you with an ecu plug in module a la Ohlins, it will be a plug and play solution. There’s wires already running to the shocks; they would head to a “piggy back” module which will harness in with one of the innumerable control modules, maybe more.

My bet is that if they go this route, it would integrate at least somewhat with the drive modes, but maybe not as cleanly as the stock ’19 truck.

However, I think this will be an expensive bit; The ohlins electronic single shock for the Kawa is $1500 new. Their forks are almost 2x that for the legacy models. I believe Ducati switched to Showa(?) on the Multistrada, but look at any motorcycle road race and see just how many are running legacy Ohlins suspension. It’s a freakin’ lot. I’ve run their stuff before and it’s really, really good; adjustable to handle pretty much anything and more precisely adjustable.

The ROI might not be there for Fox. I don’t think most Rappers will benefit from the fancy new hardware over the legacy Fox 3.0s. KentSD might, but most of the rest of us are going to make just as good a time at any terrain the Rap can handle - not because the new shocks aren’t better, but because the performance envelope they cater to is so far above most drivers as to make it impractical to spend money on.

I hope they do make the new hardware available to the rest of us, but if not, I will not feel under equipped off road.

OP
OP
C

csixer66

Reaction score
Im not looking to add or retrofit. Im looking to pull the Fox 3.0's off and go with Kings or the Roush set up with adjusters. I am certain that the new electronic shocks will be tied straight to the control module in the truck as to switch with the drive modes. Im betting the slew of red lights coming on you take that stuff off will be numerous. Going to look at a Roush tomorrow. This would solve all of my issues I guess