2018 with ADD 2" front level kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
Had Addictive Desert Design folks in Arizona install their 2" front level kit. It's basically the only size perch kit they sell. I wanted 1.5 but they only sell 2 inch. Quick job and awesome folks over there. 3 hour labor charge for the work.

Initial thoughts on looks: The truck sits very level. within 1/4 inch front to back. (The other day the front was slightly higher with a full tank of gas.) I had to raise my seat a little as the nose is definitely higher now. Truck feels bigger now and sort of reminds me of when I sit in a super duty. The feel was more race-like before and now feels more truck-like.

Drive: Nose dive and body roll are basically eliminated. I really disliked the nose dive on even mild braking before and now it is rock solid. I have a RADAR detecter mounted near the rear view mirror and it seems to bounce around and vibrate more on familiar roads. I think I feel more bumps in the road but that could be subjective, but I can promise you my detector is vibrating much more now...which tells me the front is stiffer and not as spongey. I have not had an alignment (tomorrow) and it does feel like it needs one after the install. The wheel is slightly more to the right now and it pulls same direction a little. Did not do that before...it was dead straight as I had ford align it after delivery for an acceptance issue.

In its current form the truck is not pleasant at 80 mph on the interstate. It is twitchy and wanders. It was rock solid at 100mph before. Feels like crap now actually. The worst part is the back end really sways if you do a quick little wheel jerk left or right at speed. You can feel the nose track and then the tail swing out and back in line. Freaked me out when switching lanes on the way home after install. I hope the alignment will fix this as the camber is most likely to blame. My gut also says the geometry of the truck is now changed and the nose-down rake was fulfilling some need before. I know perch collars are not an upgrade for the suspension...they are for looks and if anything they hurt the suspension a little.

Will update if the tracking and wandering are better after the Firestone alignment.

Pics are (1) stock, (2) 2 inch stock wheels, (3) 2 inch with plastic-dip stock wheels

Attachments

• 33027646_1663502973703530_7086169647208202240_n.jpg
    33027646_1663502973703530_7086169647208202240_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 32936076_1663502933703534_4785260782323499008_n.jpg
    32936076_1663502933703534_4785260782323499008_n.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 33030375_1663502917036869_4842283108902371328_n.jpg
    33030375_1663502917036869_4842283108902371328_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 125

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely needs an alignment after lifting the front. I know some shops say it is not needed with a perch collar, but your experience says otherwise.

OP
OP
V

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
They charged you 3 hours for that and no alignment. What a joke.

I can see your point. 3 @ $80 per hour was fair to me. $240 and done correctly is a fair value. I've heard of others paying $300 with alignment so not too far off the mark. My alignment is going to be $80 at Firestone...so I will be about $320 into the install not including parts.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my RPG 1.5 collars myself, took the truck in the next day for an oil change, tire rotation and an alignment...$110 total.

OP
OP
V

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
Update after alignment: Toe was out big time. Camber was fine. Very common after a level kit. Both tires were toed "in" (.4 positive appx). Tech reset back to spec and truck drives much much better. Did a high speed run on the interstate The wandering is basically gone. There is still some tail swing with a quick steering input but without the wondering wheel the swing is much less now. Swing must have been there all along and is most likely normal tracking of the wheels when doing a rapid jolt left or right at 80+mph. Wheel is back to center again. All good and happy overall.

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this raise the tallest point of the truck at all? Back cab? I have a really tight parking garage I need to be able to get into.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone posted a picture with a graphic overlay showing how the perch spring lifts do NOT raise the total height of the rear cab on the truck. (I cannot find the thread..)

As long as you do not change the rear leafs or the tire size, the truck should still fit into the same garages.

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had Addictive Desert Design folks in Arizona install their 2" front level kit. It's basically the only size perch kit they sell. I wanted 1.5 but they only sell 2 inch. Quick job and awesome folks over there. 3 hour labor charge for the work.

Initial thoughts on looks: The truck sits very level. within 1/4 inch front to back. (The other day the front was slightly higher with a full tank of gas.) I had to raise my seat a little as the nose is definitely higher now. Truck feels bigger now and sort of reminds me of when I sit in a super duty. The feel was more race-like before and now feels more truck-like.

Drive: Nose dive and body roll are basically eliminated. I really disliked the nose dive on even mild braking before and now it is rock solid. I have a RADAR detecter mounted near the rear view mirror and it seems to bounce around and vibrate more on familiar roads. I think I feel more bumps in the road but that could be subjective, but I can promise you my detector is vibrating much more now...which tells me the front is stiffer and not as spongey. I have not had an alignment (tomorrow) and it does feel like it needs one after the install. The wheel is slightly more to the right now and it pulls same direction a little. Did not do that before...it was dead straight as I had ford align it after delivery for an acceptance issue.

In its current form the truck is not pleasant at 80 mph on the interstate. It is twitchy and wanders. It was rock solid at 100mph before. Feels like crap now actually. The worst part is the back end really sways if you do a quick little wheel jerk left or right at speed. You can feel the nose track and then the tail swing out and back in line. Freaked me out when switching lanes on the way home after install. I hope the alignment will fix this as the camber is most likely to blame. My gut also says the geometry of the truck is now changed and the nose-down rake was fulfilling some need before. I know perch collars are not an upgrade for the suspension...they are for looks and if anything they hurt the suspension a little.

Will update if the tracking and wandering are better after the Firestone alignment.

Pics are (1) stock, (2) 2 inch stock wheels, (3) 2 inch with plastic-dip stock wheels

How is the plastidip holding up? Was thinking about doing that to my truck because I like the stock wheels but just want them black. Any advice or suggestions in doing the plastidip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk