GEN 2 2017 Screw, 800 lb tongue weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldGuy1

Reaction score
Buying a trailer with 800lb tongue weight and will, of course, be using a WD hitch. As you all know, 800 is right at the distributed tongue weight limit. There will still be some drop but how much?
Is anyone towing with a tongue weight at, or close to, the limit? Truck has some rake to it when empty...will I be dragging the butt below level at that weight?
I can't live with looking like an overloaded '65 Oldsmobile.
Thanks!

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look under the bumper to be sure but i seam to remember 1050 with weight distribution as max. 8k is our max tow rating.

note at my 1199 payload the 1050 only leaves room for me in the truck.

also measure the front wheel well from ground to bottom before putting on the trailer. it should be within 1/2 in or so if the weight distribution is properly setup with the trailer on the back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldGuy1

OldGuy1

Reaction score
look under the bumper to be sure but i seam to remember 1050 with weight distribution as max. 8k is our max tow rating.

Thanks, The supplement that came with the truck says 800 but I will look under the receiver assuming the kids bring the truck back.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the manual says 800lbs max. but the hitch should say 1050. i was pointing it out so u know that 800 properly adjusted should be fine.

glad my kids can't "steal " my truck yet. i may be off to a good start with proper training since my 5.5yo is saying he will get his own. a blue one. my b.s. excuse to my buddy was "his insurance is insufficient unless i am in the truck" lol

OP
OP
OldGuy1

OldGuy1

Reaction score
i know the manual says 800lbs max. but the hitch should say 1050. i was pointing it out so u know that 800 properly adjusted should be fine.

glad my kids can't "steal " my truck yet. i may be off to a good start with proper training since my 5.5yo is saying he will get his own. a blue one. my b.s. excuse to my buddy was "his insurance is insufficient unless i am in the truck" lol

Ah, gotcha. Now I just hope it stays relatively level. With the amount of rake it has, should be ok with the wd hitch properly set. Would prefer not to modify.

My "kid" that has the truck today is my 41 yo daughter. Her F-350 is in the shop. She'll bring mine back spotless and full of gas. I look forward to her occasionally needing to borrow a vehicle! As you say, proper training!