2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm also curious if it's partially caused forward and rearward shocks. @RPG has a reverse kit for the driver side. I wonder if it would fix some of the issue.

2015 F150 Rear Shock Mounts - RPG Offroad

RPG's words on the front and rear facing shocks
"Yes the primary objective is to reduce axle wrap caused by soft leaf springs and power, but there is a huge problem with rear steer.
Being that the Drivers Side Shock is mounted rearward on the top and forward on the Passenger's side.
1. the rear end wants to steer to the Right when being compressed
2. steer to the Left when extending

This causes the rear end to feel very loose... Not to the fault of the shocks or Springs.. But a compromised Chassis design."

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was surprised to see the fox raptor at the off road expo didn't have the RPG shock mount relocation kit

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the 38 recommended on the door?

Nothing, type-0.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Please link me to that thread...would LOVE to see it, and love to nicely point out the difference/debate them. Unanimous is a STRONG word...

*****...YEP

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I found the Thread...started by a guy who's looking to go from his 13 to a 17. I will reply later when I have time...but bottom line is to each his/her own...but I drive spiritedly...most of the time on road, but a lot in northern NH is fire roads and a little more off road too...so what is great for some will suck for others and vice versa.

Pretty much unanimously no regrets. You're just a better, more sophisticated, driver than everyone else who has made the switch it would appear.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/who-went-gen1-gen2-regrets-no-looking-back-53234/

Funny how someone has a differing opinion and they're labeled a kool-aid drinker? Hardly.

13%2F06%2Fkeep-calm-and-dont-be-such-a-drama-queen.png

Last edited:

evan9r

Reaction score
This is my first Raptor and its been a while since I drove a Gen 1 but I do feel the Gen 2 is softer overall.

The ride is boat like and seems to float along. This to me says the shocks need a firmer rebound.

The wheel hop when hitting potholes in the road that make the back end dance around dangerously is caused by tire pressure. I havent played with the pressure yet but to me, 38 seems very high. I ran my old BFG A/Ts at 22psi to get the proper tread wear and they felt much better than they did at the recommended 35psi.

The body roll when coming off the interstate onto a loop around is very noticeable as well. I would say a stiffer spring rate would help with this.

So if we take all this into account and adjust for it, we would probably have a truck that rides great on road but would suffer off road. Cant have both.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wheel hop when hitting potholes in the road that make the back end dance around dangerously is caused by tire pressure. I havent played with the pressure yet but to me, 38 seems very high. I ran my old BFG A/Ts at 22psi to get the proper tread wear and they felt much better than they did at the recommended 35psi.

I got the back end dancing around feeling way more from my 2011 and 2014 FX4's than I do my 2017 Raptor. Sometimes the 2017 skips a little but my FX4s felt like the back end was trying to pass the front end.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 12 Raptor crew and loved it great truck. I have about 400 miles on my 17 now and can only find 1 thing I liked on the 12 better then my 17....the note of the exhaust. I am 2-3mpg better then my 12 so far, way way more power, the braking is no different. Much less body roll and better handling on the road. I havent gotten a chance to take it off road but the on road handling is far superior on the 17 vs the 12. No issue with the brakes, I dont know how people find an issue with this. I have a 16 Ram 1500 also, and this brakes similar to my Ram. Trans shifts great also. Im actually starting to get used to the exhaust note now.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of testing under the new truck but no gen 1 comparison. I can tell you the Gen 1 had a thick load leaf and the Gen 2 doesn't and that is why they are sagging more with the same trailer. This is definitely driven by the wheel travel. Tire Psi made a noticeable improvement in the rear ride but adding my expedition gear to the bed is what really made the truck feel planted. The aluminum bed/tailgate is very thin and light so I am sure a lot of sprung weight came off back while the unsprung weight did not. Tuning a live axle suspension with a low sprung weight is hard because the mass of the unsprung weight is so large hence the addition of a few hundred pounds in the bed improving the handing. I also have experimented with the front swaybar on/off. It is huge and helps a lot for street cornering but makes potholes and single wheel impacts quite violent. With it off these are soaked up great and the offroad ride is vastly improved. I hope the aftermarket comes out with a more modest swaybar that provides a better balance. The tire roll is very noticeable and I attribute this to these being custom made for this truck as load range C tires which flex a lot more, especially cornering on and braking on the street. You can go to BFG tire specs and look it up, these have a special note for Ford. One experiment you can do because you have your 14 is a quick wheel tire swap if you have higher load range tires on it. I would be curious to see the ride change. Just like most stock leaves, the race derived ones will improve the ride but not necessarily the towing. One of the bump kits with a 4" bump or adjustable can mount is the best solution. If you don't offroad much, maybe the Gen 1 overload spring will bolt straight up. Either of these will allow level towing with a light trailer. For heavier trailers you must use a weight distribution hitch. Read the manual for the weigh cutoff for hitch styles. I also have more info on my 800A+ build thread and offroad owners impression thread. Do some experiments and tell us about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tons of info out there on these but if you want to see a set real quick check out my build thread (link in sig). Third photo. Your stock leafs probably have 3 thick bands of steel. The Deavers have like 11 bands of thinner steel and fewer of them bend in the early stages of compression. They stiffen up as you get further along (as you involve more bands). Pretty simple stuff but works amazingly well.

Hopefully Deaver has a set in the works. It's really a great mod and another thing on the list of things Ford should have done at the factory.

Thanks Man...I have a big snowmobile race to leave for and put on, but I already opened your sig link in another tab and will check out when I get back...thanks so much for the help and insight.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

I'm also curious if it's partially caused forward and rearward shocks. @RPG has a reverse kit for the driver side. I wonder if it would fix some of the issue.

2015 F150 Rear Shock Mounts - RPG Offroad

RPG's words on the front and rear facing shocks
"Yes the primary objective is to reduce axle wrap caused by soft leaf springs and power, but there is a huge problem with rear steer.
Being that the Drivers Side Shock is mounted rearward on the top and forward on the Passenger's side.
1. the rear end wants to steer to the Right when being compressed
2. steer to the Left when extending

This causes the rear end to feel very loose... Not to the fault of the shocks or Springs.. But a compromised Chassis design."

I had to remount my Warn Winch Power cable last night with my son (Dealer had plug to the right of the hitch and that won't work) so I had a chance to check out the shocks and it's what I thought...one facing forward and one facing rearward...which to be honest, b/c my 14 works so sick (read planted) I never even noticed, but I am assuming they are both equi placed on the Gen Is from what you're all saying...My 14 is up at my place in NH...so I will see later today...but Man...if this is the case...WTF would Ford do that? There was NOTHING wrong w/the Gen I handling...

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Nothing, type-0.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Pretty much unanimously no regrets. You're just a better, more sophisticated, driver than everyone else who has made the switch it would appear.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/who-went-gen1-gen2-regrets-no-looking-back-53234/

Funny how someone has a differing opinion and they're labeled a kool-aid drinker? Hardly.

13%2F06%2Fkeep-calm-and-dont-be-such-a-drama-queen.png

You're funny. First off...if EVERYONE on a thread says one thing...that's a clear sign that NO ONE WHO DISAGREES is bothering to post b/c they don't want to deal with people like you...and if everyone just overlooks obvious deficiencies...not opinions, but HARD FACTS...yeah, that's a Kool-Aid Drinker...look it up.

I am not stating ONE opinion, but all facts. I can take my 14 right now, with 82K on it...and go down the same road on the same day and keep one hand on the wheel...one finger even...and it's planted and mint...the same road, the same day...my brand new 17 is all over the place on the corners with bumps...so Yeah, for $70K that's #$%^&* just plain stupid...seriously.

If you reply again, great for you, but I am done with you, and will discuss seriously with people living in reality that offer tangible info and links to aids that will help.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

This is my first Raptor and its been a while since I drove a Gen 1 but I do feel the Gen 2 is softer overall.

The ride is boat like and seems to float along. This to me says the shocks need a firmer rebound.

The body roll when coming off the interstate onto a loop around is very noticeable as well. I would say a stiffer spring rate would help with this.

So if we take all this into account and adjust for it, we would probably have a truck that rides great on road but would suffer off road. Cant have both.

Totally agreed on all those symptoms, but my 14 is at the recommended 44 PSI and it's MINT...even w/the SAME Gen II BFGs that are E rated vs. the Original D Rated Gen 1s...which to me says ALL in Ford's setup of the Truck, not the tires.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 12 Raptor crew and loved it great truck. I have about 400 miles on my 17 now and can only find 1 thing I liked on the 12 better then my 17....the note of the exhaust. I am 2-3mpg better then my 12 so far, way way more power, the braking is no different. Much less body roll and better handling on the road. I havent gotten a chance to take it off road but the on road handling is far superior on the 17 vs the 12. No issue with the brakes, I dont know how people find an issue with this. I have a 16 Ram 1500 also, and this brakes similar to my Ram. Trans shifts great also. Im actually starting to get used to the exhaust note now.

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the 2010s - 2012 were softer setups vs. the 13-14s. My buddy w/his 13, who sold me after one test drive to get my 14, loves his 13, but did NOT love his 2010...

I actually love the exhaust note...fake or not ha ha.

The power is stupid...just wish the braking was commensurate to the power. I think as you drive more, and get into situations where you NEED to brake big time...they will rear show you their short comings.