2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my Gen 2 Raptor and will admit to being a fanboy. With that said, I do experience the wheel hop being discussed on this thread. If I am going 60mph around a gentle curve and hit a pothole or something else where the shocks operate in the high speed damping circuit then I get wheel hop that moves the truck significantly off my intended line. I do not like it and it is the one thing on the truck that is a significant dissatisfier for me.

I am not convinced that upgraded leaf springs will fix this as it seems like a high speed valving problem to me.

Has anyone tried the upgraded Fox shock kit offered by ADD? It is $3k front and $3k rear which is a lot of coin but I would honestly go for it if it would solve this wheel hop issue. Has anyone installed this setup? ADD, do you have a truck there with this suspension that a guy could test drive before dropping $6k?

They are different beasts, but I can tell you my Gen 1 progressive leafs fixed this issue. There was an on ramp with a bump in it that used to completely unsettle the rear of my truck exactly how you described prior to the Deavers. Almost completely soaks it up now. Live axles are always going to struggle a bit with this particular issue, though. Nature of the beast.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no hop in AWD mode, and I drive it hard. Try it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What is AWD mode? Oh maybe 4A mode? AWD just sounds so yuppyish...

They are different beasts, but I can tell you my Gen 1 progressive leafs fixed this issue. There was an on ramp with a bump in it that used to completely unsettle the rear of my truck exactly how you described prior to the Deavers. Almost completely soaks it up now. Live axles are always going to struggle a bit with this particular issue, though. Nature of the beast.

So you put Gen I progressive leafs on your Gen II and it fixed the issue?

Just want to be clear.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you put Gen I progressive leafs on your Gen II and it fixed the issue?

Just want to be clear.

I have a Gen 1. Details of my build are in the link in my sig. I'm just advising the Gen 2 crew of the benefits of progressive leafs, which I understand Deaver is working on for the Gen 2.

Last edited:

Fat Nelly

Banned
Reaction score
Watch the video on SVC site and it explains everything the OP is concerned about. Plain and simple the GEN2 is a bouncing buggy. Gets more air on the 2nd bounce than the 1st jump and the ass end is all over the place.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/

Scroll down and Click play on the 2017 raptor CAS system. The video is with the CAS installed or in GEN1 standards comparable to mid perch.

On another note, the original SVT engineering team that developed the GEN1 raptor were not involved with the GEN2. Personal friends for many years. So the guys that eat, sleep and live desert racing were replaced by the book worm engineers with NO desert experience then re-branded FORD Performance.
Ford knew a majority of GEN1 owners never even hit the dirt. So the developed GEN2. Story over. Better truck everywhere BUT the DIRT. That and the fuel standards the gov is implementing is ******** the performance world

Last edited:

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch the video on SVC site and it explains everything the OP is concerned about. Plain and simple the GEN2 is a bouncing buggy. Gets more air on the 2nd bounce than the 1st jump and the ass end is all over the place.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/

Scroll down and Click play on the 2017 raptor CAS system. The video is with the CAS installed or in GEN1 standards comparable to mid perch.

On another note, the original SVT engineering team that developed the GEN1 raptor were not involved with the GEN2. Personal friends for many years. So the guys that eat, sleep and live desert racing were replaced by the book worm engineers with NO desert experience then re-branded FORD Performance.

Ford knew a majority of GEN1 owners never even hit the dirt. So the developed GEN2. Story over. Better truck everywhere BUT the DIRT. That and the fuel standards the gov is implementing is ******** the performance world

That video is in some really huge and rough stuff first of all. Maybe read raptizzle's review because he seemed pretty pleased with it. Second, the video doesn't say anything at all about that; it's just a promotional video demonstrating a product. Third, you have no basis for your claims stating that ford performance is somehow inferior to svt. They certainly had very experienced people involved with development of the raptor and people that were involved with developing the original. They performed extensive off road testing and they raced the truck to test it as well.

The truck is bouncy, but it is not dangerous or uncontrollable. The problem is that it has the same leaf springs as the standard f150 just like the original. To say that it was not developed for off road use or that it's designed as a street truck is crazy. It has lots of traction and handles very well except for the leaf springs. A lot people seem to forget that it has more travel and damping capacity.

Progressive leafs will be a huge improvement just like they were on the original. Lots of guys go hard in their trucks and praise the performance. Like I said, the guy in the video was pleased with how it performed and he even said that it handled very well for the extreme terrain they were in. That video was filmed in Barstow where they test trophy trucks. He said he was pushing it very hard and described it as an improvement.

I myself have pushed mine pretty hard doing high speed off roading, jumping, and rock crawling and I would consider it an improvement. It is bouncy and I plan on adding progressive leafs but it was definitely controllable and safe. The extra travel and damping was noticeably better.

At 22 seconds in the video, you can see he goes over another bump. He isn't just bouncing from the first jump. Later in the video he is going over whoops. There isn't a point in the video with any excessive rebound. All the leaf springs do is buck a little, they don't throw you in the air like you describe.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Installed SVC's Coil Adjuster System

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rum.com/showthread.php?p=1108763&share_type=t

This is the thread where raptizzle shared pictures and his opinions on its performance.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Camperguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone just replaced the rear gen 2 shocks with gen 1? Seems like an easy place to start. Chevy has been staggering their shocks for years to help mitigate wheel hop. Ill admit I didnt read all 13 pages of this thread.

Bill

ASR

Reaction score
Here is an idea to maybe make the stock truck suspension better if needed. Research what suspension changes they did on the stock Gen II Raptor that Greg Foutz drove in competitive races sponsored by Ford.

Many articles on web:

Driving for Ford is Greg Foutz, a four-time Baja 1000 winner. Foutz isn’t heading into the Baja without getting familiar with the new 2017 Raptor, however. He and the truck have already competed in several Best in the Desert events this year, including the 645-mile General Tire Vegas to Reno race this past August. Despite the rough terrain, it only took Foutz 15 hours to complete the event. Foutz and the truck have brought home four first-place wins out of five races.

The new truck, according to Foutz, is much better suited for racing than the first-generation Raptor. “There are an extra two inches of wheel travel, plus the all-new 10-speed transmission never has to hunt for the right gear,” he says. “The new Baja mode keeps the turbo spooled up – it’s miles better than the previous off-road mode.”

Last edited:

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a Gen1 put about 86k miles on it, and now have a Gen 2 with about 1k miles on it. First impressions obviously is power and comfort, the Gen 2 is better. To the point of the bouncy semi sway on bumps. I have felt it on my longer trips. I have done 2, 4 hour trips in the 17 and over some bridges and just a few other places it does have a little bounce but not to the degree of where it worries me. I am making another trip today and will report anything.